Anza-Borrego: Carrizo Badlands 2008-03-03

BorregoWrangler

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Well it was a beautiful, fun filled day in the desert of Anza Borrego. A little windy and dusty at times, but great day to be out wheelin'. We arrived at the trailhead of Oriflamme Canyon in Banner a little before 9. After airing down and making sure everything was good to go, we were off! Coming down the rocky switchbacks towards the desert valley below we spotted 1Leg, 1 Leg Lance, Gear, and R2FJ (from adventure4x4.net) break camp and head out. Wait for us guys! They soon raised me on the CB and in a moment we were all gathered and ready to travel down Hwy S2 towards the Carrizo Badlands.

Coming down Oriflamme Canyon. The recent rains made it quite rocky.:)
CarizzoBadlands001.jpg

CarizzoBadlands011.jpg

Lunch near the old Stage Station site.
CarizzoBadlands009.jpg

Carrizo Creek
CarizzoBadlands007.jpg

CarizzoBadlands002.jpg

CarizzoBadlands006.jpg

CarizzoBadlands030.jpg

CarizzoBadlands024.jpg

Arroyo Seco Del Diablo Canyon
CarizzoBadlands041.jpg

BorregoWrangler

Rendezvous Conspiracy
More pics.

Diablo Dropoff
CarizzoBadlands059.jpg

CarizzoBadlands069.jpg

Flowers!
CarizzoBadlands050.jpg

CarizzoBadlands085.jpg

Little lizard
CarizzoBadlands075.jpg

Finished up in Fish Creek. Blupaddler and a buddy met up with us before the dropoff.
CarizzoBadlands084.jpg

CarizzoBadlands023.jpg

Last edited:

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Cool pics and some great looking rigs!

I flew over AB on Sunday afternoon and it looked like the wind was howling. Our computer was showing winds just above the mountain peaks at >70mph.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Cool pics! They really need to re-name Diablo Drop off. There's nothing challenging about it. They should just call it... 'the hill that you drive down'. :p

BorregoWrangler

Rendezvous Conspiracy
SinCity4r said:
That doesn't look like the drop off to me.. here's a picture I took of it for comparison.

DSC_8292-01.jpg

There are two parts to the dropoff. The sandy upper section and the narrow rocky part in your pic.

jl8088

Adventurer
awesome photos! I've been there twice in the past month and did all those trails too, including that deep section of carrizo creek. What was trail like after the diablo dropoff but before fish creek wash?

blupaddler

Conspirator
Great pics!
We were out with a friend and his new-to-him 80 series and OME lift.

Fish creek past the drop-off was a bit bumpy but not bad at all.

It was great to run into you guys! And to chat, legally, on the 2m radio!
Thanks again.

Funny thing is we probably just missed each other in Carrizo Creek. I pulled a poor couple out that had been stuck over night about 100-150 yards before the creek meets up the wash on the western end. They went out for a day, had no strap, or shovel. It all had gotten stolen a week earlier.

I will have to download my pics and post some up.

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
BorregoWrangler said:
That's the spot everyone gets stuck at!
+1
I love exploring AB solo and try to be extra careful but that section caught me by surprise last year. I've been avoiding it ever since.

Only time I've ever wanted a winch on my Taco... but then what do you connect it to out there? :confused:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12