ARB front bumper for late model Frontier

silentsamurai

Explorer
I'm kinda getting ahead of myself. But when you guys ship from your location. Do you ship to private party residences? , or do I need to find a dealer to get it through? House front curb drop is always preferred but im not sure how you guys operate when it comes to shipping

sami

Explorer
ARBTech, are there plans to include in the design, a front recovery option for the Xterra bumper?

I completely agree.. I think I PM'ed you(ARBtech) last night but I can't remember as I write this..

As long as there's an all new bumper design, might as well build it right the first time!

-Jason

ragpaoa

Pathfinder

Hey guys,

Newcommer to the forum.

I was the one who loaned the Pathfinder to ARB USA to get it computer scanned for fitment when the ARB engineer was there.
Actually, I was there when they were test fitting Ed's Fronty and watched the winch test being conducted. Great stuff. That is one tough bumper.

I had the Shrock bumper originally. It was a good bumper, but I agree, the ARB is more refined and ARB is making the effort to make sure safety is a priority. That's why I sold my Shrock and getting the ARB once it comes out.

All I can say, is this: the ARB guys are top notch and are passionate in what they do. On top of that, ARB is a great company and are doing great things for our vehicles. You guys won't be disappointed. If you guys are near the area, drop by and say 'hi' to Marc. He is a great guy and is very knowledgeable and you can learn a great deal from him.

Cypher

Full Time Traveler
Hey guys,

Newcommer to the forum.

I was the one who loaned the Pathfinder to ARB USA to get it computer scanned for fitment when the ARB engineer was there.
Actually, I was there when they were test fitting Ed's Fronty and watched the winch test being conducted. Great stuff. That is one tough bumper.

I had the Shrock bumper originally. It was a good bumper, but I agree, the ARB is more refined and ARB is making the effort to make sure safety is a priority. That's why I sold my Shrock and getting the ARB once it comes out.

All I can say, is this: the ARB guys are top notch and are passionate in what they do. On top of that, ARB is a great company and are doing great things for our vehicles. You guys won't be disappointed. If you guys are near the area, drop by and say 'hi' to Marc. He is a great guy and is very knowledgeable and you can learn a great deal from him.

Welcome and thanks for the good words! I think I am pretty set on an ARB bumper for my truck.

edsd90

Observer
ARBTech, are there plans to include in the design, a front recovery option for the Xterra bumper?

Perhaps Marc (ARBTech) will expand on this, but I'll give it a try. ARB approaches a winch bumper with more vehicle occupant safety in mind than most manufacturers. They test the OEM components and build a similar crush into their bumper mounting brackets.
You can winch them to the max all day long, but ARB is now leaving the front recovery point off of their bumpers because of the extreme shock load that can be generated with a kinetic recovery strap. I won't go look for numbers, but know it's well past 20000 pounds of force. With their crushable mounts, they don't want users exceeding the design of those brackets. ARB suggests frame mounted recovery points.

sami

Explorer
Perhaps Marc (ARBTech) will expand on this, but I'll give it a try. ARB approaches a winch bumper with more vehicle occupant safety in mind than most manufacturers. They test the OEM components and build a similar crush into their bumper mounting brackets.
You can winch them to the max all day long, but ARB is now leaving the front recovery point off of their bumpers because of the extreme shock load that can be generated with a kinetic recovery strap. I won't go look for numbers, but know it's well past 20000 pounds of force. With their crushable mounts, they don't want users exceeding the design of those brackets. ARB suggests frame mounted recovery points.

PM from Marc:

Hi Jason,
the Xterra bar will most likely use the OE tow hook either in the stock location or moved slightly, but still on the chassis side of the bar brackets. The reason is that the brackets that hold the bumper need to be tuned for airbag compatibility and that requires them to bend under extremely high loads. Our engineers do a good job of creating a situation where the brackets will crush at a known rate when hit really hard, but not pull apart when pulled on, in this case the brackets will take at least 19,000 lbs (tested) before deformation begins when winching. The problem is that a snatch recovery can generate much higher spike loads when yanking a really stuck vehicle, in this situation it is much safer to be pulling on the chassis rather than on the bullbar and effectively the brackets.
Marc
ARB Tech

Cypher

Full Time Traveler
PM from Marc:

Hi Jason,
the Xterra bar will most likely use the OE tow hook either in the stock location or moved slightly, but still on the chassis side of the bar brackets. The reason is that the brackets that hold the bumper need to be tuned for airbag compatibility and that requires them to bend under extremely high loads. Our engineers do a good job of creating a situation where the brackets will crush at a known rate when hit really hard, but not pull apart when pulled on, in this case the brackets will take at least 19,000 lbs (tested) before deformation begins when winching. The problem is that a snatch recovery can generate much higher spike loads when yanking a really stuck vehicle, in this situation it is much safer to be pulling on the chassis rather than on the bullbar and effectively the brackets.
Marc
ARB Tech

Yet another reason to go with ARB. My truck is my daily driver, and on road safety is first and foremost in my mind. I have to survive the weekday commute (which can be more dangerous than any trail or expedition here in the Phoenix area) before I can head out on the weekends. Thanks for the great info!

ARBTECH

Observer
Hi guys, been very busy lately and have had a hard time following the thread as a result, but still working on all this. Ed didn't mention it, but he was gracious enough to let us come down to his place in Oregon and finalize a set of production mounting brackets early this week along with a few other parts so we could confirm fitment even in the midst of his busy schedule. With that done, I expect a pilot run in Aus next week and some production bars headed our way shortly after. Xterra is coming, but it's getting its own bar, not a modified Frontier bar so it's taking a little longer since we feel the differences are enough to justify it.
Thanks,
Marc

Cypher

Full Time Traveler
Hi guys, been very busy lately and have had a hard time following the thread as a result, but still working on all this. Ed didn't mention it, but he was gracious enough to let us come down to his place in Oregon and finalize a set of production mounting brackets early this week along with a few other parts so we could confirm fitment even in the midst of his busy schedule. With that done, I expect a pilot run in Aus next week and some production bars headed our way shortly after. Xterra is coming, but it's getting its own bar, not a modified Frontier bar so it's taking a little longer since we feel the differences are enough to justify it.
Thanks,
Marc

Thanks for the update! I am really looking forward to seeing these in person. As always, thank you Ed for what you are doing for the Nissan community!

Thanks,
Marc

Hey if you guys don't already have a guinea pig, I have both a 2005 Frontier and a 2008 Xterra if you need to borrow one or the other for a few weeks (I have another vehicle I commute with). I just live down in Westport, so it's really not a big deal to drop it off in Renton. PM me if you're interested.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan