AT Tacoma Habitat: Official Thread

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
Looking at one of those pictures from the rear it appears that the supports angle out slightly which will likley increase outward pressure on the shell (seems logical but I'm no engineer). The shell being attached to the bed rail will put outward pressure on the bedsides which may cause problems. There have been reports (with pictures including here on expo) of the metal part of the beds in the Tacomas cracking from spreading. Since Toyota went with the wonky two part bed system they dont have as much tying them together. I'm thinking some sort of brace may be in order for the beds.

In our observations driving the Tacoma with and without the Habitat on it, we noticed that the bed stiffened up with the Habitat on it. We believe that this is due to the reinforcements we have added to the Habitat for the cantilever bed feature. We did not see any splaying of the bed sides with the bed under load that you are concerned about.

elcoyote

If you were going to "fix" another flippac defect, make sure the rear window forms a better seal with the rest of the camper and the tailgate. It's amazing how much water can find it's way into the truck through that little gap.

For the side windows, just a thought, make a removeable guard that bolts up from the inside that would still allow visibility, protect the window from damage, and add security. Maybe it could flip up so you didn't have to actually unbolt it.

Is there an open lot next to AT for all of the used Flippacs that are heading your way?

We have successfully addressed the dust issue with proper bulb seals. Interior window guards we are happy to build on a time & material basis per client request. Sorry, we simply don't have enough room at the shop to keep old stuff. We're going to need our space for Habitat production first and foremost.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
Any chance the tent (fabric and poles) would be available for purchase by itself for those of us diy fabricators? I probably will not be in the market for the complete Habitat camper (although it looks awesome) but I could definitely see integrating that tent onto my homebuilt trailer if something like it were available.

i hope so,,, with the bed of the tacoma being such a weak spot (tore the bedsides on mine) i keep wanting to build a box to replace the bed and integrate a better flip lid and tent into it, just been waiting for AT to catch up,,, looks like it may happen pretty soon.

thethePete

Explorer
^ They state it's a Nemo tent, you may be able to enquire with them and see if they can produce something to suit your needs?

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
^ They state it's a Nemo tent, you may be able to enquire with them and see if they can produce something to suit your needs?

Nemo does not produce one off's. Nemo sell their tents through their dealer network and retailers. We are lucky to have developed a relationship with Nemo over the years. For one off tent contact a local tent maker.

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
It has already been stated, but I will say it again this looks great. Depending on cost, I would love to have on for my first gen DC Tundra. Please make sure we Tundra guys are added to the production list.

Last edited:

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
It has already been stated, but I will say it again this looks great. Depending on cost, I would love to have on for my first gen DC Tundra. Please lame sure we Tundra guys are added to the production list.

Jared, to be added to the list of interested parties you need to send an e mail to info at adventuretrailers dot com Provide all your contact details, the year, make and model of your vehicle, and the size of the bed.

robert

Expedition Leader
In our observations driving the Tacoma with and without the Habitat on it, we noticed that the bed stiffened up with the Habitat on it. We believe that this is due to the reinforcements we have added to the Habitat for the cantilever bed feature. We did not see any splaying of the bed sides with the bed under load that you are concerned about.

That's good to hear; I'd definitely say the bed is one of the weak spots on the Tacomas.

Just out of curiosity, any thoughts on selling the shell without the tent? The reason I ask is I'd prefer a pop-up like the Westfalias. I don't need a tent that large since I'm usually solo or one other person and only stopping overnight plus, by not flipping over, you could leave relatively lightweight items like a bike or kayak and a cargo box on top. I really like the structure aspect of it and being able to stand on top or load cargo. :)

elcoyote

That's not on our agenda right now but never rule out that type of innovation from the AT Overland team.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

4xdog

Explorer
Is there plans to have one to fit first gens? Ext cab and dbl cab?

Great work, Mario and Martyn -- looks terrific! Another Gen 1 (2001 Tacoma double cab) owner here following AT Overland's developments with high interest...

Last edited:

dcabcody

I'm looking forward to getting one of these and I don't even have a pickup anymore.. This is gonna cost me big money in the end. :sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears