Back in a 60

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Very nice!! I will look for it around town. And my offers till stands for a cold beer. ;)

Lets connect for sure. I have been absent from town and back and forth to Colorado a couple of times. I just took a new job and we are relocating to Vail over the next couple of months. Hey, any suggestions for a place to get an alignment in town?

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Wow, that's beautiful. Keeping the FJ80 as well?

Dan

Yeah, for now at least. Its going to serve as our vehicle back in the UP when we get back that way. Not sure long term plans for it yet though. We still have a lot of considerations regarding our place there, vehicles there etc.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Ok, I guess I am due for an update. I have been crazy busy the past few weeks since we got the 60. I have addressed a few things and have some more to go through over the next couple of months. I found a couple of loose hoses, clamps, etc in the engine bay. I gave the bumpers a light sanding and repaint. I put some rust treatment on a couple of bad spots. This truck is not and will not be a concourse quality vehicle. It looks great from about 10 yards but up close the poor repaint that a previous owner did and shoddy prepwork ahead of that paint job show. Thats ok though. I am more concerned about the mechanicals and having something that I don't care if I put a scratch on. With that said, I do want to treat some surface rust spots on the lower body and am thinking of doing a similar colored bed liner finish across the lower rocker panels and over the wheel wells in an effort to curb future stone chips and paint damage. There is also a decent size smash in the driver's side rocker that makes opening the driver's door a bit tough. After addressing those I think we will just focus on using the truck.

A few days after picking the 60 up I set off on an ambitious 1,500 + mile trip with it. My first tank of fuel in the 60 on the drive from Jackson to Rock Springs, WY returned me a gps confirmed 20.7 mpg. I was cruising about 65 most of the way enroute and was BLOWN away by that result. I guess the stock gears and 33's may actually help with highway cruising. Driving on mixed two lane and freeway in Colorado, including Vail Pass, and the Eisenhower Tunnel I kept in the 18's while doing around 5 over the speed limits. This is fantastic to me and still exceeding my expectations. I like to compare all of my trucks' abilities to climb from Silverthorne to Eisenhower since it is a steep, long grade at altitude. My FJ80 could only muster 45 up it, my 4.6 converted 5 speed Disco could only do 55, my old FJ 60 with a Webber carb only about 50. This 60 kept 60mph the whole way till about a half mile from the tunnel then 55. Again, exceeding my expectations. My worst mileage was driving into a headwind on I80 returning home in WY where I returned 14.5mpg while driving 75mph.

Other things I have addressed so far.... repaired the exhaust pipe which was cracked behind the muffler, tightened up the rear bumper (which needs some modification), replaced the wipers, threw out the seat covers (the seats look almost new with the exception of the driver's which has a tear on the side).

Stuff I have to do in the near future..... alignment, I have some uneven wear on the passenger front tire and a slight pull to the right.... windshield, I have a large crack across and this very well may be the original glass as it is severely pitted and difficult to see out of in direct sun...... rear bumper, having the connections refabbed and beefed up plus a 2' reciever added for towing a small trailer, hauling mountain bikes, or down the road a motorcycle....... front bumpers having eyelits fabbed for D shackle recovery points..... New tires...the 33x12.50 BFG AT's have seen better days, they have cracking and are fairly worn. I would like run a 33x10.50 for the sake of highway driving since this truck is going to be used for long trips but with our budget right now I don't know if 5 new tires AND rims are going to work. Might just get a fresh set of 12.50's....... Planning on building a custom bed for the back of the rig. Basically a two part modular setup that will have storage behind the rear seat when it is up, then when folded down, a second piece that fits into place in front that will allow plenty of gear storage and a nice WIDE bed platform for us when travelling. I have a RTT but don't think I want to put it on, preferring the ease and stealth of sleeping inside...... Probaby will do a shock upgrade at some point, the current shocks (can't tell the brand but are white and red, thinking Ranchos?) are a bit harsh. Would like to upgrade to OME shocks.

As a general goal for this truck we are going to try to prevent it from being all farkled out. Hopefully have it well equipped and looking as clean as possible and less likely to draw attention. It will be interesting to see the compromises I end up making in the name of being prepared. Trying to stick with the more is less philosophy here as much as we can.

So far I have been super happy with this truck. It drives great, is very comfortable on the road and trail, and has as much amenities as we need for our travels while being about as simple of a rig as I could ask for. I love Defender 110's and 130's, and to me a 60 series embodies the utility and timeless class of those platforms while being a more comfortable place to spend time. I have always wanted a diesel Cruiser but if the mileage keeps up like it has been so far, it will be hard to justify it. I think this will be just a great use it as is rig. No rest for this truck, heading out to Oregon for 3 weeks with it Friday!

Here are some shots of adventures thus far..

Taking the scenic way to CO along the northwest corner of the state.

On the return trip taking a tour across the Red Desert.. great drive, never saw another soul the entire time. The wild horses in the background make for a great setting!

The Red Desert has dunes extending 50 miles west to east.

The Killpecker Dunes on the west end of the Red Desert are massive and incredibly entertaining to drive on.

Dune colored vehicles don't photograph that well on Dunes :p

Memorial Day weekend we spent some time in Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks doing some wildlife watching. This was in Grand Teton, looking for a mother Grizzly that has new cubs this spring. No luck. This was probably our 4th attempt at looking for them this spring.

Will have more updates soon. I will try to keep this thread current with what we do with the Cruiser, and what we do to it as well. With our move to Minturn, CO coming up we are really excited to spend some times with our friends in that area and get up into the high country this summer, then some southern UT excursions this fall. Probably won't do anything major to the 60 till we get down to our new place.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Lets connect for sure. I have been absent from town and back and forth to Colorado a couple of times. I just took a new job and we are relocating to Vail over the next couple of months. Hey, any suggestions for a place to get an alignment in town?

Used to be JH Brake & Alignment but they went under few months ago. So, I guess, not really. I always had good results here in the driveway. We can do that if you want.

I haven't seen the Cruiser around yet! Will keep an eye out. I just spent 3 weeks straight working. Got the weekend off, going to try and get some time in on my Cruiser project.

Cheers

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Used to be JH Brake & Alignment but they went under few months ago. So, I guess, not really. I always had good results here in the driveway. We can do that if you want.

I haven't seen the Cruiser around yet! Will keep an eye out. I just spent 3 weeks straight working. Got the weekend off, going to try and get some time in on my Cruiser project.

Cheers

Funny, I was recommended JH but no one answered the phone when I called. Have you just done alignment via tape measure? I have never tried it. Maybe we could give it a shot. You haven't seen it because I have been out of town most of the last month. I took it on one trip to CO, and left it home on the second. My fiance has been driving it occasionally, for the odd garage sale hunt but we typically are either driving her Outback or my STi around town. If you see a black STi with a Michigan plate give a wave. In Oregon right now though till the 22nd. Looking forward to seeing your projects!

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Had a great drive across to Oregon a couple of days ago. Worst tank of fuel that I checked was 14, that was on the freeway running around 75 with a strong headwind. On some two lane stretches I was around 16-17 but haven't been keeping track that well. Still happy with the economy and it is a comfortable place to spend a long day driving. Some pics

Camping for the night in the high desert of eastern Oregon.

Following an old two track.

While I am looking forward to building my bed and storage system for the back, it still is a comfy place to get out of the wind and sleep using a simple backpacking airpad and a sleeping bag. Getting back to basics, simplicity is bliss. Even with my mountain bike, ski gear, and 3 weeks worth of junk I needed, I still had enough room to stretch out in the back.

Afforded a great morning view.

Guydudebro

I love your photos Kristian. Can you give me a hint on how you are uploading them to get to the size they are appearing as. Even with 3.5 mb files my pictures are only about 1/3 the image size of yours. Any ideas? Thanks

I've said it elsewhere and I will say it again here: That is one good looking 60.

It is funny howI have been in love with 60's since the 80's, I am on my 3rd 60 and 6th Landcruiser and I've been living out of one for nearly 4 years and I still see one and say: damn, that is a fine looking rig!

Congrats K. Now let's get some Wagongear stuff in there :wings:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan