Back in a van-FINALLY or Overland-ish style build: take 2

coguzzi

Adventurer
This will be a build thread for my latest take on a 2022 Sprinter 170 4x4. Long story as to why I say latest take so ill give a brief background. I have been building vans long before Foster Huntington created the hashtag “Vanlife”. I started out in a 66 VW Kombi split window bus that I lovingly restored/made my own over a several year period. Got a wild hair one day and posted it for sale online and sold it in hours to a bloke from England who happened to be in Colorado (where I lived) skiing. (photo credit goes to him for this awesome picture-he still owns her and she is living the good life).
1120119_10151601465426687_366273503_o.jpg

Then I had a whole slew of VW Vanagon Syncros (4x4) that I built, most getting upgraded from the crappy VW motors to various sizes of Subaru power. These really were great Colorado rigs, but my wife grew tired of me constantly “maintaining” them vs using them.
579933_346798795432162_95601096_n.jpg10401965_545348215577218_1917685650196966533_n.jpg

So I next moved onto what I always considered the “end all”, Econoline 7.3L diesel 4x4 and added a poptop. Turns out I didn’t love it.
525931_10150760107866687_1475507079_n.jpg

I sold that rig and got more into the overland world with a Four Wheel Camper, ironically I ended up being shop manager at the overland shop I bought it from for several years. I have built all kinds of overland rigs of various sizes and shapes for people to explore.
74906726_10156748507081687_7874430591385468928_o.jpg

Fast forward, I move from Colorado to Quebec (somehow wife talked me into it) and I eventually work at a Sprinter upfitter shop for a short time while I got my business off the ground. They built more over the top “East Coast RV Style/Espresso machine equipped” than the overland style I prefer. So built myself a 2020 Ford Transit AWD in the “less is more” overland style I prefer. See my build thread https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/transit-awd-build-overland-style-im-back-in-a-van.220191/

Trying to keep this short, I regretfully ended up selling that van which I thought was fine because i had another one already on order, a 2021. 27 months later and FORD still have not blessed me by building the van. My life has been held hostage and van-less by FOMOCO for long enough, so a while ago I put in a Sprinter order. It wasn’t with out its own trials and tribulations, stuck in purgatory at the port in Germany since last august, but its been in my shop for a week now.
IMG_8716.jpegIMG_8749.jpeg
IMG_8736.jpeg

As stated, I always build in a “less is more” overland style. And that will ring true as much as I can on this build. BUT, I have come to realize while ive been stuck in boring Quebec winters the last few years—I need an escape, an extended escape. Also, I plan on this being “the forever van” for future life and more extended travel/exploring for 2 humans and 2 dogs. Sooo, this explains the 170 Sprinter where I have always had shorty vans before. Because of that it will have some more amenities than I usually prefer to include. Stay tuned….

Farfrumwork

"Espresso machine equipped" haha!

This will be good. You gotta escape next winter man. I'm loosely planning on Baja for x-mas '23, so you have 7 months - GO!

coguzzi

Adventurer
"Espresso machine equipped" haha!

This will be good. You gotta escape next winter man. I'm loosely planning on Baja for x-mas '23, so you have 7 months - GO!
im not joking on the espresso machine thing!!! seems to be high on the list for a lot of people round here.....but everyone has different "needs". and trust me, i am toying with the baja idea as well next winter

Last edited:

coguzzi

Adventurer
Not a ton to report yet, just a ton of measuring, planning, spending $ ordering parts. I'm actually working on demolishing and rebuilding my deck currently to. Most of my Rivnut/plus nut drilling is done. No matter how many times i do it i always find it hard to cut the first big #%$ hole in the brand new van, but here we are
IMG_8780.jpegIMG_8796.jpegIMG_8808.jpeg

Then the roof rack showed up so i could plan my roof layout (and order more part$). Im lucky to have Remora racks close to me, definitely the upper level of the modular racks out there that i have had personal experience with
IMG_8816.jpegIMG_8833.jpeg

Followed my cutting more holes
IMG_8831.jpeg

coguzzi

Adventurer
still not a ton to report. Got the foam blobs covered
IMG_8850.jpegIMG_8849.jpeg

Then pulled out the driver/passenger seat. couple reasons, van we ended up with didnt have heated seats and its a no-go for wife 1.0. Also MB tells you they can not build you a van with swivels (at this time) because they do not have the parts to do so, but you can buy the parts from the MB parts counter when we deliver the van?!?!?! then while seats are out im gonna try to do all wiring i need under the seat, which includes AMP research step install.

see the difference in bases
IMG_8855.jpeg

I swore a lot stripping the first seat for heating pad install, 2nd one took me a fraction of the time
IMG_8866.jpegIMG_8873.jpeg

then step time
IMG_8894.jpeg

typical AMP install--terrible instructions. had to modify some bracket to make it work with H12 option. Also im trying to make function properly on a 2022 which they claim is not compatible but others have...stay tuned. lots of wiring going on under the seat while im there but dont make good pictures

NOW ill be slowing down, which kills me, because i had a client drop off a van for some preliminary work before i do a complete build later on (hopefully when my van is done). Always loved these funky jananese 4x4 vans so pretty excited for this one

IMG_8917.jpg

RVflyfish

Fishing is life. The rest is details.
Man your finish quality is always incredible. Did you shape the foam for the “blobs” yourself?

coguzzi

Adventurer
Man your finish quality is always incredible. Did you shape the foam for the “blobs” yourself?
they are the factory MB pieces that come with the van which i work a little to smooth out blems and modify just a little for future screen door. BUT the driver side i modify to be a smaller, basically cut it in half.

coguzzi

Adventurer
ok, it has been a month since last update. was still able to complete a couple task waiting for things on the other project. Mostly get the roof kind of finalized-mostly. That involved getting installed the solar (2x175 watt), Dometic RTX2000 12v AC, and Maxair fan.
IMG_8929.jpegIMG_8946.jpeg

I used the awesome DIYvans adapter system for the RTX that has different height spacers to make it sit at a good height with your interior finish (saving valuable head room). Anytime us Canadians have to order something from the US it hurts..... sits a little higher on the outside with the adapter, but interior head room is the most important, i hit my head on everything....
IMG_8956.jpegIMG_8972.jpegIMG_8976.jpeg

PS, the AC unit is one of those "amenities" i dont normally include on an "overland build" but over the years there have been a lot of times we have had to not do something because it wasnt dog friendly (quebec really sucks for dog culture) and couldnt leave them in a hot van. Even stopping at my favorite, greasy road side diners, we always felt rushed because maybe the dogs were over heating. So this is mostly for the dogs to be comfortable, but also so we can enjoy life. price to keep the dogs comfortable--try not to think about it.

Also got the awning installed
IMG_9009.jpeg

and every now and then i take her out for a ride and some Vitamin D
IMG_8978.jpeg

Last edited:

coguzzi

Adventurer
its always fun when things progress to the point that you can ACTUALLY see progress. so much of van building is small little details no one ever sees or thinks about, but still need to happen. that brings me to a point of van being mostly insulated (still have some work to do in areas, and other strategic areas get doubled up once i make sure i have enough thinsulate) and the finished floor is installed. I've done a few different ways for a sprinter floor and this is my favorite (transit floors are different still). it can breath underneath (which i feel is important), and is insulated but not the 6" thick floors like you see a lot of people over think. and not a million screws going through the body, just glue

some 8mm glued down in the ribs, but not filled to breath
IMG_9077.jpeg
minicel in the other voids and some cross stringers in 1/2" RB glued and stapled
IMG_9100.jpeg
1/2" foam
IMG_9106.jpeg
finished ply glued and stapled on top of that, then the sheet vinyl glued, rolled and weighted down for a few days. Ecologic fire wood makes a great weight (scrap ply underneath it for distribution). good thing i have plenty of it around prepared for next winter already
IMG_9115.jpeg
bingo, dont forget to seal the edges in urethane
IMG_9122.jpeg

walls are next which is when things really start to get exciting

coguzzi

Adventurer
I'm taking the time on this build (because its mine) to do a time lapse build video. partly because i find it fun but the other part is i can use it to illustrate to people why a cargo van cant be dropped off and 2 weeks later a completed van is ready for pickup. so here is part 1

coguzzi

Adventurer
she is coming along, think im done making dust for a while and got all my interior panels made and test fit. some small tweaks to do that can happen when i remove them for finish.
IMG_9217.jpeg

always fun to see it start to come together. taken a while since i have this deck project going on as well
IMG_9218.JPG
put it off for years but old deck was literally falling off the house and built by obviously drunk weekend warriors. excavation, new slab (required for phase 2 happening next year) and actual deck. yeah, I know--those are temporay stairs i need to finish--heart just isnt in it.

Anyway, on ward and upward for the van (which means spending more $$)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior