Back in a van-FINALLY or Overland-ish style build: take 2

coguzzi

Adventurer
I've always considered the stock sprinter suspension to be just barely adequate, especially the rear. So enter Van Compass 4.3 with Baja Brackets (must have IMHO). next level would be the optirate spring since i do prefer multiple leaf packs, but i think this will be a huge improvement as is.

Every single time i do a suspension upgrade on the ground (way to many to count) i say "this is the last time" and then the next time comes along. i never learn.
IMG_9245.jpeg

IMG_9249.jpegIMG_9268.jpeg

IMG_9286.jpeg

coguzzi

Adventurer
I've been working on getting everything under the van done, with exception of the exterior plumbing since it depends on interior locations still. its kind of a "lets tear it off like a band aid" situation. been laying under this thing for what feels like weeks.

Propane tank, this is an area where i differ from others since i have love/hate relationships with diesel heaters and hate/hate with hydronic water heaters and coolant loop water heaters but love the Truma Combi heater/water heater units. remember, former overland truck builder where propane is still king and just simply always works. may or may not do a back up diesel heater in the future, but probably overkill.

Manchester 6811
376397178_844143170428793_2984205415416928507_n.jpg
many test fits and brackets welded up and installed (even prefilled it)
IMG_9321.jpeg

Then the On board Air system, Viair 450c with ARB quick connect (the best fitting out there IMHO)
IMG_9350.jpeg
3 gallon aluminum air tank under slider door and another quick connect
IMG_9346.jpeg
and one at the rear integrated with the 30A shore power plug bracket i also did during this time
IMG_9341.jpeg

Then her new shoes finally arrived. another area i dont follow in the BFG KO2 trend (or Toyo's) and went with Duratracs-ha. Ive had plenty of KO2 and even KO's in my time, i just think the Duratrac is a superior tire for my type of driving. 265/70/17 on Black Rhino Yellowstones in 45 offset (dont like the sticking out from fender look). WOW, amazing how just a wheel swap can make such a big difference
IMG_9337.jpeg

86scotty

Cynic
Looking good. That's a lot of propane. I've gone with diesel heat and a separate tank in 2 rigs now but still prefer propane for cooking. Actually more for available decent RV stoves. I have grown to like a simple propane cylinder hidden somewhere. Lasts a LONG time for me just making coffee. If I went back to propane for main fuel source it would definitely be with a Propex heater and RV style HWH. They are bigger but proven and trouble free, mostly.

Wheels/tires look amazing! I love Duratracs but the last ones I had got crazy noisy. I'll be curious to see how that works for you. Perhaps Benz-ness is in your favor in the interior noise category?

Speaking of overkill went with a 9 gallon air tank and dual compressors on my latest van. 20-60 psi air ups are no longer torturous. I love it. You have the room! ;)

coguzzi

Adventurer
Looking good. That's a lot of propane. I've gone with diesel heat and a separate tank in 2 rigs now but still prefer propane for cooking. Actually more for available decent RV stoves. I have grown to like a simple propane cylinder hidden somewhere. Lasts a LONG time for me just making coffee. If I went back to propane for main fuel source it would definitely be with a Propex heater and RV style HWH. They are bigger but proven and trouble free, mostly.

Wheels/tires look amazing! I love Duratracs but the last ones I had got crazy noisy. I'll be curious to see how that works for you. Perhaps Benz-ness is in your favor in the interior noise category?

Speaking of overkill went with a 9 gallon air tank and dual compressors on my latest van. 20-60 psi air ups are no longer torturous. I love it. You have the room! ;)
the last van i built for someone i used the manchester 6813 (5.5 gal instead of this 6.7 in the 6811) they camped all winter last year with temps down to -40C (same as -40F) running the truma for heat and hot water (shower is the big must have for them) and cooking every meal inside. That tank would last a little over a week to half full (they refilled when at half just to be safe). thats pretty darn good and this one is slightly bigger, trumas are super efficient. BUT, main reason i used this tank is because i bought it for the transit order i had in that never showed up because the dimensions are super nice for the transit, but really like it for the sprinter to (was able to get it high and tight, less hanging down)

coguzzi

Adventurer
Another roof top deck made in collaboration with friends at https://flagwerks.com. 3/16 aluminum with black texture powder coat this time. what ever your opinion on decks (ive heard them all already) the reasoning in order of priority:
1. easier snow removal, it is the law people!
2. integrated L track fitting tie down points for what ever: kayak, getting your paddle board to the water, Maxtrax etc
3. the air space keeps the van cooler as its shaded (confirmed in our last install)
4. place for a sunset cocktail or if your inclined, to watch NASCAR-ha

working on a rear door ladder design but its a ways off in reality, so Prime Design rear ladder installed for now
IMG_9468.jpeg
IMG_9472.jpeg
IMG_9477.jpeg

rruff

Explorer
1.0? Are you working to upgrade? If yes, to 2.0 or 1.1? I guess a 1.1 version is a lot easier and cheaper than a 2.0 version. Good luck either way!
Good luck trying to upgrade an existing wife... :unsure:

And be very careful when switching to a new version! It always seems promising with fancy packaging and new feature sets, but they are fraught with numerous hidden and unresolvable bugs, that only seem to get worse the more you try to fix them...

RVflyfish

Fishing is life. The rest is details.
Good luck trying to upgrade an existing wife... :unsure:

And be very careful when switching to a new version! It always seems promising with fancy packaging and new feature sets, but they are fraught with numerous hidden and unresolvable bugs, that only seem to get worse the more you try to fix them...
😂😂😂 OMFG so true!

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming. That wiring is going to be gorgeous. I love how cleanly and neatly you do things.

coguzzi

Adventurer
Finally getting to the stage where she is going together for the last time, the upholstery/sewing and final install stage.
IMG_9536.jpegIMG_9537.jpeg
IMG_9566.jpegIMG_9574.jpeg

I always tell people it looks like nothing is happening (but trust me, a lot is happening) then all of a sudden BOOM, starting to look like something that resembles a finished van. still so much more after this though.

RVflyfish

Fishing is life. The rest is details.
Have you been working on this full-time? Do you know how many hours you have into it so far?

coguzzi

Adventurer
Have you been working on this full-time? Do you know how many hours you have into it so far?
it has been more or less full time with some distractions thrown in, but at least a few hours everyday. been hard since this one is personal/demo and not paying the bills, but my life has been held hostage and van-less long enough--figure we deserve it. i "punch in" every day to keep track of hours. So i started May 4th and as of yesterday i have 826.25 hours logged. still have a ways to go and im actually behind schedule.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior