Back in a van-FINALLY or Overland-ish style build: take 2

RVflyfish

Fishing is life. The rest is details.
Man such a compact unit to do both jobs.

How is reliability with these? I’ve always wondered what happens if one function fails on a trip? Do you lose the other also? And if it’s not reparable do you have to replace the entire unit?

coguzzi

Adventurer
Man such a compact unit to do both jobs.

How is reliability with these? I’ve always wondered what happens if one function fails on a trip? Do you lose the other also? And if it’s not reparable do you have to replace the entire unit?
the Truma Combis are very very popular over in Europe, and just starting to catch on here and some of the high end units like overland explorer ect. even the new EKKO is using them. 100% reliable from what i have seen, never see post about weird errors or any of that stuff. last one i installed has been running on its 2nd winter now in -40C temps every 3 day weekend and some 1 week plus trips. tons of hours on it and never a fault. that said, since they are not popular and Truma North America is kind of weird, parts and service might be an issue this side of the pond. There are some chinese copies out there now as well

PS, both functions operate independently of each other. can run water heater with out air heater and vice versa

RVflyfish

Fishing is life. The rest is details.
PS, both functions operate independently of each other. can run water heater with out air heater and vice versa
Yes I understood this. I guess I’m thinking back to the days of TV/VCR combos. When the VCR failed, you had to buy both again. Or phone/fax/copiers.

coguzzi

Adventurer
One weekend at a time.....feels like a Johnny Cash song....

slowly moving along still, finally got the cabinet together that i have been working on for several weekends now. probably the longest cabinet ive ever made at 93"-ha.
IMG_9941.jpgIMG_9965.jpg
counter tops next then ill actually be functional (bed design rest on counter top when down). getting there

coguzzi

Adventurer
Classy.

How much does the empty cabinet weigh? And I assume it will have drawers in most of those spaces(?)
i didnt actually weigh it, but me and wife 1.0 who has been having major mobility and strength issues in her shoulder moved it no problem. BUT, i know whats in it and square inch wise it is about 1 full 4x8 sheet of 1/2" Baltic/russian birch (i have preplanned cut sheets i made on the 'puter). maybe slightly more, maybe slightly less. 1/2" RB 4x8 sheet specs at 56lbs. them some laminate, so maybe another 5 lbs give or take, so im gonna say roughly 60lbs which i dont feel is terribly high.

I build cabinets with 1/2" for the main structure and 5/8 for the door panels (which is absolute minimum for hidden hinges and need to be real careful). most builder just use 3/4" for everything because its the easy way out but pay for it in weight. i can move a sheet of 1/2" RB easily myself. 5/8" is more of a struggle. 3/4--forget about it (for me-ha).

4 drawers only (drawer slides to weigh a lot-ha) in the upper part of the first 2 sections. rest are open cabinets and electrical

coguzzi

Adventurer
IMG_0106.jpg
Not only was today eclipse day, it was also snow tire removal day (had 3 cars to do). Which meant the sprinter needed to go outside and the first time she has been outside since i put the snow tires on last fall, think October. been moved from shop to shop a few times but its only 17 feet of outside time--ha. Figured i havent posted much because 99% of my time is dedicated to the Delica project (just finished the most challenging cabinet ive ever built) so let y'all know im still alive and will be back to the sprinter full time soon. sadly its just needs finish work.....but not enough time in a day

ps: pic taken just past totality
pps: ignore my neighbors construction site mess, worst contractors ever

texasnielsen

Outdoorsman
1.0? Are you working to upgrade? If yes, to 2.0 or 1.1? I guess a 1.1 version is a lot easier and cheaper than a 2.0 version. Good luck either way!
Okay, briefly off subject.
1.1, 2.0, 2.5, etc. infinitely cheaper speaking as a member of the 3.0 club.

Now, back to your normal broadcasting.
Oh and an excellent thread to follow by the way. 😉

Farfrumwork

Odometer reads not in Kilometers or Miles... but in FEET!

I swapped 2 sets of snows this last weekend too (not my usual 3 sets, as the Alltrack wore it's summer/'no-season' tires all winter). But, it was ~1200lbs of wheels that I moved (Sprinter and the ID4)

You should post a few pics of that Delica cabinet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior