Back in a van-FINALLY or Overland-ish style build: take 2

RVflyfish

Fishing is life. The rest is details.
Wow, that’s a lot, the equivalent of 8 hours a day, 5 days a week for 5 months straight. And you’re a professional. I don’t know if it’s inspiring or disheartening. I should probably just schedule infinity for my build...

Farfrumwork

There's good reason why builds cost so much from up-fitters! (And they likely wouldn't be nearly as well executed as coguzzi's work)

coguzzi

Adventurer
There's good reason why builds cost so much from up-fitters! (And they likely wouldn't be nearly as well executed as coguzzi's work)
i forgot to mention that does not include all the time sitting at the computer researching, designing, and trying to find the best price on a product. When i did work at a upfitter shop (left because quality wasnt to my standards) there were 5 of us building the van and honestly it never went that much faster, but 5 employees salaries still need to be paid.

coguzzi

Adventurer
Sweet!

Are there thermocouples on the batteries?
for temperature sensing? The BMS in the battery has its own temp sensor, one in each battery which i can see thru the bluetooth app (the 2 small Volthium boxes). since the batteries have built in dual heaters for this arctic tundra i live in (localish battery builder) and cant be charged under 0C they need to know if they are cold or not. one heater is "automatic" and takes charging current to heat. the other, which i did wire in, is manual control and takes battery energy to heat. Since i do not need the house batteries everyday there is no sense in wasting "cycles" heating all the time because lithium's are perfectly happy (actually happiest) slightly discharged, like 80%.

Then the Redarc has its own battery temperature sensor, so kind of redundant but is what it is

coguzzi

Adventurer
Very nice. Is this being built for resale or personal use?
personal van / demo van. i made the mistake of selling my last van before i had one to replace it and took 2.5 years to do so with supply chain etc, never doing that again. everything can be for sale for the right price ive always said, but not as easy as it would seem in this day and age.

coguzzi

Adventurer
dust making stage, I quite enjoy this cabinet making stage. 1, because i used to do a lot of wood working when i was young with my grandfather and my awesome shop classes. 2, because van is starting to come together
IMG_9664.jpg

Last edited:

coguzzi

Adventurer
continuing to make dust for cabinetry and its going well. But got my elevator bed fully installed now, well, 95%, need to finish pillar upholstery and how it interacts with the wiring but that is all details. Have plenty of hours involved in making this thing, our solution for maximizing space

coguzzi

Adventurer
IMG_9743.jpg
I'll be slowing down on the Sprinter build now since the Delica is back for its final/full build out that will get most of my attention. Pretty much just be weekends now vs 7 days a week. My goal was to have the Sprinter done BEFORE the Delica came back, but here i am.... actually might be nice to take a break-ha.

Last edited:

coguzzi

Adventurer
IMG_9830.jpeg
Haven't had much time to dedicate to the Sprinter lately but big hurdle taken care of was getting the Truma Combi system installed (99% anyway). I love the Truma Combi's, air heater and water heater all in one efficient package. I know I know, not a diesel heater--ha. I have love/hate relationship with diesel air heaters and a hate/hate relationship with diesel hydronic heaters. Remember i come from the overland world where propane is still king. I've had this combi sitting on the shelf for a while (when i originally ordered the Transit way to long ago), actually had a few, but saved this one for my personal build. Ran the heater for a while yesterday (plumbing not 100% yet) and always forget how quiet these units are while pumping out nice heat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan