badm0t0rfinger's 2014 Raptor build

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
With the injuries piling up for the Avs I don't see how the Oilers wouldn't be the odds on favorites out of the West. That being said I wouldn't want to play either of the Kings or Knights. The Kings basically go to the playoffs without help of goaltending, and now that they actually do have it: watch out. The Knights also dealt with cap issues but now we are in the post season that doesn't matter plus they've figured a lot of things out that held them back early in the season.

I'm excited to see who comes out of the Tampa v Toronto series. Unlike last year where I said whoever wins that series wins the Cup, this year it seems whoever wins that series will face the Bruins. I think Toronto makes the jump to the second round but runs into the the Bruins. I just don't think the Bruins lose that series, or any other series for that matter. Looking at the East its just hard to really get excited when I think the Bruins are going to run the show. I think had the Islanders been their first round opponent you might see a 6 game series, but against Florida? Bruins in 5.

I think Carolina breezes by the Islanders in 5, and the Devils continue their hot streak and top the Rangers in 6. Devils and Carolina is going to be competitive but the skill and the experience are gonna top out and Carolina advances in 6.

ECF: Carolina vs Boston. Theres no reason to think Boston will get upset, so I have them advancing to the cup finals.

In the west, like I already said I don't think the Avs push the repeat button like the Lightning. I think they easily get past the Kraken in 5 or 6. Dallas vs Minnesota is probably going to my second favorite first round battle due to the history and where both these teams are at this time. I think Dallas is looking like dynasty in the making, Jake O is too good to not have some serious hardware before too long. Perhaps a Conn Smythe!? The Wild have Kirill the Thrill and a bunch of other great players, and this really is their time to make a push before the cap crunch from those contract buyouts really start to affect how they can build a team. That being said, Dallas in 7.

Winnipeg vs Knights is gonna be a killer series. Even with the Jets not being "those Jets" from a few years back that looked like they could go far year to year, they still have the Goalie Connor and he should never be counted out. The Knights have a bit more talent throughout the lines but WAY less experience between the pipes, and that could be a huge deciding factor. That being said I think that one goes on for a bit, but Knights in 7 unless Hellybuck goes full Vezina/Conn Smythe mode and ruins my bracket.

Oilers vs Kings. The Oilers have goaltending, its not the guy they paid 25 mil for but whatever they got Skinner and they can figure out the rest later. They have three 100 point guys and probably another 2 players in Hyman and Kane who could have been there too and a handful of playmakers. The Kings are the same story, they thought they had the future in Cal Pederson, they thought they had the past in Quick. But both floundered and Copley came out of nowhere really (I know he has time in the league but not enough to have much of a track record) and he produced but started to slow down. They got Korpisalo to take on more of the load and I think that tandem is REALLY good... I just don't know if they have enough defense to shut down McDavid, and thats why I have Oilers in 6.

I think Avs get upset by the Stars, and the Oilers drill past the Knights.

WCF: Oilers vs Dallas, we see a more matured Stars team that went to the finals just a few years back take on an Oilers team that is ********** dab in the middle of their window. I think this may be one of the best series in the playoffs it comes to be, but I think the 3 headed monster on the Oilers are too much for the Stars, and Connor McJesus goes to his first Stanley Cup Final.

SCF: Oilers vs Boston. I'm not gonna pussyfoot around this one. Bruins in 6.
You've put a lot more thought into it than I have! Lol

But, I'd love to see a Bruins vs Oil in the final. And if we had to lose, to me it's always nice to see an original 6 team win a cup.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
It was warmer than 50 degrees yesterday, so I put the ski in. Ended up sucking up a root and had to get into the water. Big mistake.

I think I have a plug that is going bad, so I didn't push it hard. It got up to the rev limiter and hit mid 70s once or twice but then it was bogging down a bit. Have those on order and will pull it out of the water this weekend.

ycsBPV5.jpg

ITTOG

It was warmer than 50 degrees yesterday, so I put the ski in. Ended up sucking up a root and had to get into the water. Big mistake.

I think I have a plug that is going bad, so I didn't push it hard. It got up to the rev limiter and hit mid 70s once or twice but then it was bogging down a bit. Have those on order and will pull it out of the water this weekend.

ycsBPV5.jpg
Nice ski. I have two RXP's. It is supposed to be 80F tomorrow so I may go for a ride.

Hopefully nothing is damaged on your ski.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
Nice ski. I have two RXP's. It is supposed to be 80F tomorrow so I may go for a ride.

Hopefully nothing is damaged on your ski.

I don't think anything is majorly amiss. It ran just fine last time I took it out. Both my step dad and I think putting new gas and plugs in will make a world of difference and then from there we will start troubleshooting down. I ran with the seat off and didn't hear any boost leak so thats a good sign. It was on my way in that I sucked up some gunk, so we knew something was amiss before that, thankfully.

I love the RXPX, my neighbor here has one but he refuses to put it in the water just yet.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
@ITTOG It was as I expected; Two plugs looked like they fouled up. Swapped all the plugs out, put some cylinder fogger in there, cycled the engine on flood mode, put all new plugs in and fired her up. 8100 RPM, 75 MPH no problem. It was also snowing during some of job... which I did in the water. Maybe heated handles should be in the near future.

I think the plugs were already kind of bad, but the skunky old gas that had been in there for a while did them in the other day. Some 92 ethanol free marine gas and some seafoam and she's good.

neliconcept

Spirit Overland
Been extremely busy and had a lot of life issues get in the way of me continuing this build.

Originally I had a whole smattering of mods planned (full suspension, new winch, a few other quality of life mods) , followed by an Alaska/Arctic circle trip, but life happens and I had to scrap all of it. Obviously I was broken hearted that my plans fell through.

I had been kind of upset as this was a huge plan of mine for a few years and had been pushed back by deployment, then covid, then taking over a failing division (and fixing it completely) to deploying again. I finally had an opportunity to take charge of some of these things that had been in the way of my enjoyment...

So last week I left the military, bought a rooftop tent and decided to spent the next few months travelling. I went up to visit with some friends in Oxnard/Thousand Oaks area before spending a long weekend in Vegas (and yes, what happens there... stays there). I picked up a new Mt. Hood roof top tent from the CVT shop in Vegas, and I will be honest I cannot say enough about them! They were great people and truly made sure I was taken care of!

nHOLuAe.jpg

I then headed out to Moab, Utah as an almost religious like pilgrimage to the mecca of offroading.

AW9qMZN.jpg

So whats next? Well I'm driving up to Michigan to drop off the jetski at my Moms (thanks Mom!) and then I'm going to install some Icon leaf springs to help compensate for the added weight and then going to do a few more shakedown runs [in late April into May] with my truck before I do a trip to Canada and then Upper Peninsula. I will probably head out to Florida for a gig I have lined up but I'm already in talks for a job in Alaska so we will see.

Icons will do the job, you may not even need to go option 2 with how well you are sitting now unless you plan to go higher in the front.

I have them on my gen 2 and it feels like a different truck.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
Icons will do the job, you may not even need to go option 2 with how well you are sitting now unless you plan to go higher in the front.

I have them on my gen 2 and it feels like a different truck.

I have tossed around the idea of adding Gieser springs up front but I'd leave on bottom perch.

I may do option 1 tbh.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
I dropped the truck off at the shop, we talked over what I wanted and they must have forgotten because I wanted option 2 and they gave me option 3. I wasn't ecstatic at first, it looked like a funny car. I was pissed. They offered to swap it out but I would be without the truck for a few more days. I wasn't about that. Legit the bed rails near the end were above my shoulders. After driving it a bit (it does drive great) and some cycling of the suspension it has already started to come down, however I know I have to lift the front a bit now. I'm thinking Geisers and some new UCA's while I'm at it. I'll have to see if a shock rebuild shop will just send me out a ready made pair.

Right as I picked her up:

yA3cNVw.jpg

As it stood today when I set up for camp:

Zt65rI9.jpg

The only other issue I'm noticing is that the passenger side leaf is rubbing on the exhaust. I mentioned this to my step dad and told him I was just gonna cut it off right behind the muffler, before the axle, mid dump style and he flipped ********. He was hollering to me about CO2 poisoning, this that the other. I don't think its an issue and I think hes overreacting. Its behind the cab, I'll add down turns. No biggy.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
CO poisoning, maybe….But I’d be more worried about dumping all that water vapor under the truck and causing accelerated oxidation.

I've never heard of that, so I'll have to look into it. Thank you.

Perhaps the cut for now until I can get a proper side exit exhaust.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
I've been slowly tweaking the sleep set up and sorting out things. I added a proper set of sheets and those fit inside the RTT closed, so going forward any warmer weather camping I'll be solid. The new sleeping bag is great, of course the night after I bought it it was solidly in the high 40s, but last night it was into the low 30s and it was super comfy. Would love to get a night into the 20s in a safe setting before going out and not having the safety net of being 15 minute from home.

In other news the RTT and 270 awning don't like each other as it sits. I'm going to have to move the tent forward about 2 inches and the awning back by about the same to make them deconflict, its kind of a bummer because the look right now is fantastic but I'll have to offset them. There is an option to mount it on the tent itself, but thats another 70 dollar bracket that I have no interest in getting, plus it will put the awning super high which may mean its longer than the support poles, and just plain hard for me to reach.

After talking with someone who knows way more about the exhaust than either my stepdad or I, I decided to cut the exhaust just after the axle for now... this should keep it from striking the leaf springs. Unfortunately the crazy Michigan weather hit before I could get out there. This awful rainy weather has been a real bummer because I can't work on my truck as much as I want to, and I don't want to go out in the rain if I don't have to at this point.

The leafs continue to settle, the ride has continued to smooth out. I helped a neighbor pick up like 200 pounds of dirt and the added weight made a world of difference. I'm still going to give it a bit more time to settle but I'm deciding between raising the front end with some Geiser springs or getting a 2 inch drop shackle to lower the back end a bit. I'm leaning towards just upgrading the front, probably get the springs serviced too... I'm just trying to talk myself out of saying screw it and putting in some 3.0s.

Right now for my Canadian friends I'm looking at being in Ontario around mid May. I'll be staying in Grand Bend for a few weeks, then will make my way up to Tobermory and taking the ferry up to Manitoulin Island before heading to Sault Ste Marie and doing some camping in the UP. I do have an old hockey buddy that lives in Thunder Bay that I reached out, haven't received anything back yet but If I head up that way I may try to leg it to Winnipeg before heading south. I still plan on going up that way if I get the gig in Alaska.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998