Bringing Sexy Back. AKA 93' LWB RRC

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
Got it all back together. It's running like crap. The oil and coolant has mixed already after 20 minutes of running. I suspect the block is cracked.

So the question? Chevy 350? Diesel? Complete drive train swap? I'm done with rover engines. I already have one other on its last leg in my D2.

zelatore

Explorer
I've been pondering an LS swap in an RRC. From what little I know it should be smog-able in CA which is my primary concern. After that a welder and cut off wheel should handle the rest... ;)

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Sorry to here that. But it dose open up the bay for one of these!
attachment.php

Last edited:

rokrawlr

Observer
I would say one of the 5.3 or 6.0L truck engines from a Chevy/GMC variant... they are stupid bulletproof and there are so many out there to choose from. I imagine Advance Adapters would have the motor mount kits and other necessary things to make it ~fairly~ painless.

Derel1cte

Adventurer
Preface by saying I have no idea what kind of work it requires to make any of these work, but how about:

- A modern LR Jag 4.4 or 5.0 (maybe even 5.0 SC)
- A Ford 3.5L Ecoboost from the latest F150s and upcoming raptor

XJLI

Adventurer
If you're gonna swap it, swap it. LS/NV4500/D300. Or pony up for the $1k LT230 to GM adapter.

You'll probably get the same fuel mileage with a LS as you would a 300Tdi, but with three times the power.

LR Max

Local Oaf
A Gen 3 Chevy V8 will be the cheapest if you are dead set on NOT putting a rover engine in. I think there are kits out there to readily bolt such engine to the ZF 4 speed. I would go this route for this truck.

The Gen 4 route with the 6 speed auto would be super awesome. You could legit get low 20s on the highway and have stupid HP. However this would be more pricey and require a lot more cutting. The kit to convert it is also pricey.

TDI if you are paranoid about some electrics that never really die and don't mind going slow. Also these engines are like, $4k for one with a million miles that some farmer put on it.

There are a few diesel options. Possibly an Izuzu but finding the right one is impossible. A 6 cyl cummins is HUGE and the 4 cyl shakes way too much. You could do the mercedes diesel conversion. The mercedes engine seems to do well as long as you don't run it with no coolant in the engine. There is a guy that makes adapter kits for the merc. I'd go with that before a TDI. More power available and its a friggen mercedes diesel.

Cannibal V8. This would be a stock engine that would be powerful and bolt right up. This is another strong contender since it would be a direct bolt in on a new engine and give you good, reliable, power.

spikemd

Explorer
If it was running fine before the head gasket blew, why do you think the block is cracked now? Did you overheat it for a long time?

I just did my head gaskets and when I started it up, I had a coolant leak what looked like from the back of the block. I thought my block was warped. Started tearing her down again to diagnose and found a o ring was pinched. $4 and a few hours later, my 4.6 is running the best ever. I say, tear her down and figure it out. Maybe its something simple.

I swapped to ARP studs which makes install easier and they are re-usable.

DividingCreek

Explorer
Well if you ran it hot, like you say it's likely done. The all steel head gaskets don't seal if everything isn't absolutely perfect. I bought one of these trucks the same time you did. Had a coolant pressurizing issue and did the head gaskets. Still had a pressure leak like you do now. Asked around and found another 4.2 with similar mileage for $450 with ancilarys still attached and swapped it in. In the process I noticed the head gaskets were the updated composite type that require the outer row of head bolts be deleted and the head bolts were the flanged stretch type. The truck runs and drives great although the fan clutch seems a bit week. Pushing 300 miles with gauge still @ 1/4 tank on this first tank of fuel since the swap. Running stock suspension + bilsteins with 2 inch spacers underneath the spring cups and 265/75 michelins and fell in love with LWB's all over again.

You can ship engines cheaply via fastenal's shipping mechanism. If you'd like I can put you in touch with the guy I got mine from. He's parting 8-10 classics. IMO I'd rather swap the whole engine than do the heads, I can do the whole engine faster.

NickM down in San Diego has engineered a kit for the LS to land rover conversion. There are a dozen or so guys doing them in defenders over on the defender source site. The issue is of course cost. The LS engine and 6 speed gear box complete run 5-6k used and then there is the cost of the kit. The expense is justified on a defender where values continue to climb with production ending Dec 15th this year.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan