Building the AlumEscape

2012Taco

AlumEscape
Wow, super nice build! Uber jealous. Doesn't even look homemade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks KLT88YJ, means a lot! I actually don't get as many questions about it as I thought I would when I'm out with it, I guess folks figure it's just a production model they'd never seen before and not a backyard creation.

2012Taco

AlumEscape
Just a suggestion - if you wanted your rear hatches to match the aluminum skin - look for a shop that does vinyl wraps. I've got a buddy in that biz, and some of the samples for material they can get are really convincing looking brushed metallic texture.

Or you might be able to get some samples from a supply place:
https://www.fellers.com/fellers-sho...rned-wrap-vinyls/sub/brushed-metal-wrap-vinyl

:iagree:

As a matter of fact adrenalnjunky, that's on the list of things still to be seen so you'll have to stay tuned!

KLT88YJ

Observer
Thanks KLT88YJ, means a lot! I actually don't get as many questions about it as I thought I would when I'm out with it, I guess folks figure it's just a production model they'd never seen before and not a backyard creation.

Hey, as much of a bummer as that may be. It's kind of a good thing! I look as it as good/ great craftsmanship and attention to detail!

I built a trailer this past summer, it was a first time undertaking. I modeled it after the Pikes Peak Trailers, but with my own twist. I've gotten plenty of compliments on it, which gratifies the build even more, considering the countless hours of hard work I put in it.

Again, I really like the build. Hoping to see more progress! Who knows I might steal...ahem...I mean borrow some ideas! Keep up the good work!

Curtis in Texas

Adventurer
To late now, but for future reference, when bending aluminum in a sheet metal brake use something soft between the aluminum and the edge of the brake to round off the edge of the corner just a tad.

I have some 2 inch wide heat shrink tubing that I've cut the length oh my brake. Aluminum doesn't like sharp corners found in metal benders. Heavy cardboard paper should work too

That or buy an aluminum brake.
Was taught that trick by a buddy of mine who builds airplane Wings. Although at work he uses the correct tools he like to make aluminum skiffs for pond fishing in his free time.

2012Taco

AlumEscape
Thanks washington taco - to be honest it was my buddy Don who convinced me to go the trailer route (his build here)

The plywood was sanded and cleaned using some prep materials (i forget exactly what, it was a remnant from a previous project) then treated with about 5 coats of CPES. I purchased it here. Seems to have sealed the plywood very well but be warned, this stuff STINKS. I don't catch much of an odor now that it's cured for a while, but I did note some stench in the rear compartments in the heat of the summer when they've been shut up for a while. I expect this will fade over time but I may look for a sealing type paint to coat the compartment interior for both the odor blocking feature and to clean it up a bit more from the otherwise unfinished plywood.

And now that I realize I missed you other question, the aluminum isn't adhered at all to the plywood body. The corner trim, windows and doors, lights and lower diamond plate pieces actually keep the skin pinned to the body and allow for some movement with temperature changes. Moreover, I wanted to keep the aluminum semi-floating so in the future I won't have too much trouble if I need to do repairs to the plywood body over the life of the rig. I don't expect it to be an issue as it's stored in a semi-weathertight shed-thing and the CPES pretty well seals up the wood so no organics are present for any mold and it's rot resistant (proof?).

Time shall tell!

2012Taco

AlumEscape
Hey, as much of a bummer as that may be. It's kind of a good thing! I look as it as good/ great craftsmanship and attention to detail!

I built a trailer this past summer, it was a first time undertaking. I modeled it after the Pikes Peak Trailers, but with my own twist. I've gotten plenty of compliments on it, which gratifies the build even more, considering the countless hours of hard work I put in it.

Again, I really like the build. Hoping to see more progress! Who knows I might steal...ahem...I mean borrow some ideas! Keep up the good work!

Haha thanks, feel free to lift some ideas for your work! You have a thread going for your trailer?? I googled the Pikes Peak one on lunch break today and it looks like it'd be a great option for taking on the trails with you to more remote and challenging destinations.

2012Taco

AlumEscape
wow! just read through your entire build, so sweet! And amazingly overkill lollll.
Now get some nice finished shots of her :p

I know, I'm an Engineer by profession so I'd guess that's where a good bit of the overkill factor comes from.

Whoa there on the finished comments :eek:
1 - I need to string y'all along to keep you interested; and
2 - These projects are never truly done! ;)

That said, here's a teaser shot for you! (I'm in the background behind the ez-up)
IMG_4645_zpsa31ea34b.jpg

2012Taco

AlumEscape
To late now, but for future reference, when bending aluminum in a sheet metal brake use something soft between the aluminum and the edge of the brake to round off the edge of the corner just a tad.

I have some 2 inch wide heat shrink tubing that I've cut the length oh my brake. Aluminum doesn't like sharp corners found in metal benders. Heavy cardboard paper should work too

That or buy an aluminum brake.
Was taught that trick by a buddy of mine who builds airplane Wings. Although at work he uses the correct tools he like to make aluminum skiffs for pond fishing in his free time.

Thanks for the tips Curtis - I'm sure the right tool for the job could have been a help. That said, the skin for the front and roof are one piece, about 51" wide and 10' long so I'd have had a heck of a time wrestling them through a brake. To be honest the only bend that gave me trouble was the one at the nose under the diamond plate stone guard; the others I made using combinations of wood blocking, ratchet straps and a rubber mallet to coax stress from the material. I'm pleased with the results for the method used and the sins are hid pretty well!

SonOfNeptune

I really like the build thread here. Would you say that your almost done? Couple questions...

1.) Did the stink ever go away from the inside?
2.) Any "finished product" looks with the inside set up?

Keep up the great work and enjoy your trip down the rabbit hole...

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
I know, I'm an Engineer by profession so I'd guess that's where a good bit of the overkill factor comes from.

That said, here's a teaser shot for you! (I'm in the background behind the ez-up)

Come on! How is that the best shot you have of that trailer? More of my truck than your trailer... :ylsmoke:

Don

-

johnnieutah

Nice trailer. Got any pics of what your interior looks like when your using it? Just wondering about the functional space that is available and how you set up your interior when out on the road.

BSR

Utter Numpty

I really like the use of the punched plate, great idea.

Any photos now you've run it for a while, mods you've made, ideas for mk2 etc??

Really good build with some sweet ideas. Definitely stealing the idea for punched sheet storage areas!

2012Taco

AlumEscape
I really like the build thread here. Would you say that your almost done? Couple questions...

1.) Did the stink ever go away from the inside?
2.) Any "finished product" looks with the inside set up?

Keep up the great work and enjoy your trip down the rabbit hole...

Thanks SonOfNeptune, I actually "completed" the build in April or so of last year to where it's useable (they are never really done, are they?).

The smell in the living quarters has been gone for some time now - maybe 6 months or so?? I was still getting a bit of CPES odor in the rear compartments but I've had them airing out with the doors open in my shed since October or so and I think that'll take care of it. I still plan on using some type of odor blocking paint on the compartment interiors to finish them out, right now there's lots of notes and marker lines on the inside where I was doing math during the build haha.

I'll post up some more updates shortly, I think I have a few of the interior.

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998