Camping with kids..Off the beaten path or in a campground?

93BLAZER

Explorer
Quick question. I have a two year old son. oh... and a wife. This summer, we'll ALL be going camping for the first time... together.

I have been camping since I was a kid. I dont think we EVER stayed in a "pay" campground. I want to take them camping starting this summer.

Here's the question-

Would you take the family to a established campground (Woods Canyon Lake in Arizona immediately comes to mind) or would you prefer to camp of the beaten path?

My mentality is that if something happens (I'm thinking trouble with other two legged creatures) you have the 'security' of other people in a campground. On the other hand, if something happens in the middle of nowhere... you're "up to bat" so to speak.

Not to say that I couldn't dispose accordingly in those situations.

I personally have no trouble going out in the back country if I'm alone or with friends. That way, we can get loud and a bit crazy, since there's no one around.

So... the supposed safety and security of a campground with other folks around, or the back country that could mean you're on your own?

Your feedback-

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Good things about "campgrounds":
Potties, showers, electricity, running water, support

Bad things about "campgrounds":
Other people, other people's lights/noise/pets/kids, costs money, small space, dirty campground practices attract nuisance animals, privacy issues, not really away from it all...

Good things about wilderness:
privacy, quiet, beauty, as much space as you want, wildlife is less likely to be accustomed to people and garbage feeders

Bad things about wilderness:
need to be self-reliant --------- or is that just a camouflaged good thing?

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Depends on your wife. If she's not happy, you may not get her out much in the future. Your 2 year old couldn't care less. :bike_rider:
Try a campground for a night or two to work out the bugs (figuratively speaking), then go a little more remote. :safari-rig:
There are few old threads about this that had great info on camping with kids and wives/girlfriends.
Also, Mark, "Articulate" has done some great stuff on kids & camping. See if you can find a link to his website....

safari%20copy.gif

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
First of all google/search for any and all cases of human on human incidents in the backcountry as a percentage of total time spent camping....you will find that it is near enough to zero to not matter.
Honestly when was the last time you heard of someone actually getting robbed, hurt, assualted in the outdoors?
Sure if you camp on the Az-Mx border along a drug running route you might see someone pass by camp in the night. But actual interaction and risk of danger?

That said of course you have the right to keep & bear arms and should know your local law.

After all that I think you can tell that I am all about remote areas. Paying to be in the outdoors next to a bunch of other folks doesn't work for me.

Get a good potty setup like the PETT & some sort of enclosure or large tent with extra space. Keep your wife & kid warm, well feed and having fun and that is enough to make it a good time.

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
I think it's going to depend a lot on your wife. lol
If she's comfortable with going out to an open area, then try it out. But if not, then try a less-busy campground with running water and working toilet etc.
You might have to ease her into more remote camping...

93BLAZER

Explorer
Hilldweller-Thanks for the reply! I see your point.

DaktariEd- I see the link...thanks!

1leglance-Thanks I see your point also. I guess what spooked me a bit was the "scary encounters" thread that was active a few weeks ago. It's kind of like watching JAWS right before SCUBA diving!

Adamblaster-
If she's comfortable with going out to an open area, then try it out. But if not, then try a less-busy campground with running water and working toilet etc.

I like this idea. We'll give this a try.

I suggest the mods delete the "scary encounters" thread!!!

Again, thanks for the 411!

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Further off the beaten track the better !

but the wife me and the dog are used to bush squatting

and the babe, she's still wearing her potty !

If your worried about the 2 legged critters go with friend's

camping is great alone and also great with a small group.

The average hills have eyes scenarios are very few and far between.....I think I've got a higher chance of a car accident than a offroad mugging...

oops I did almost get robbed whils off roading but thats another story and in a country way wilder than the US

Beach camping Oman with my daughter 1.5 years old in this pic

Have TRUNKI will travel
DSC_3465.jpg

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
My kids have never stayed in a campground and hopefully never will. My wife cant stand the thought of sleeping 10 feet from perfect strangers with only a sheet of nylon between. We generally attempt to get as far out in the middle of nowhere when camping. It's either absolute remoteness or 5 star hotels and rarely anything between.

lowenbrau

Explorer
It is a trade-off. In organized campground your changes of a run in with two legged varmints is pretty good but your chances of help are better as well. In the 'outback' you will rarely encounter nasty folks but you will have to use your own means to get along with them. If you are not completely comfortable, I'd recommend finding another family that you trust to camp with. Two families in two rigs is a lot less attractive for opportunistic bullies.

All that being said, I often read about 'close calls' where some 'rednecks nearly killed my family' and the story, in the end, was that some locals rolled into camp with a pickup, while drinking a beer. I think that a lot of perceived threats are not so threatening after you offer them a handful of your Doritos and find that they are full of information about local trails, fishing spots and camping places. I'd hate to think of people's first impression of me after three days on the trail when, muddy and stinky, I roll into an organized campground (sans the beer in hand) looking like a homeless person.

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
It is a trade-off. In organized campground your changes of a run in with two legged varmints is pretty good but your chances of help are better as well. In the 'outback' you will rarely encounter nasty folks but you will have to use your own means to get along with them. If you are not completely comfortable, I'd recommend finding another family that you trust to camp with. Two families in two rigs is a lot less attractive for opportunistic bullies.

All that being said, I often read about 'close calls' where some 'rednecks nearly killed my family' and the story, in the end, was that some locals rolled into camp with a pickup, while drinking a beer. I think that a lot of perceived threats are not so threatening after you offer them a handful of your Doritos and find that they are full of information about local trails, fishing spots and camping places. I'd hate to think of people's first impression of me after three days on the trail when, muddy and stinky, I roll into an organized campground (sans the beer in hand) looking like a homeless person.

You make a good point here - My Jeep is guaranteed not to inspire confidence among people who don't know me well. It's big, loud, ugly, and well armed. After a few days in the woods, I resemble a meth head and my camping buddy looks even worse. I never really thought about it because I know I am relatively harmless, but I imagine someone walking up to me in a developed campsite (especially while I'm playing with my insulin syringes) and then writing a story that could easily make it into the freak-out thread.

DaveM

Explorer
There are "developed" campgrounds that are a happy medium between full RV camp and desolation. They usually require high clearnce to get to them or at least come with warnings not to drive a trailer or RV in. They are also usually way off the main road. The distance and rough roads usually mean that although you will be around other campers, they are often just as serious about being out there as you are and you get a much more... sypathetic crowd.

See if you can find a few near you. Good luck.

kerry

Expedition Leader
My vote is backcountry. I took my daughter on her first river trip when she was 6 months old. 4 days on the Colorado. Had the worst windstorm I have ever encountered on that trip. Stayed up all night holding down the shelter. Of course my wife and I had been canoe camping for about 15 yrs already when we did that.

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
If your primary concern about remote, non-campground, camping is the potential threat of other people you can take a few precautions.

1. If the area you camp is difficult to get to then few others will likely show up.

2. If you pass "creepy people" on the way into your camp area you may want to go back out so they see you leaving and just find another area.

2. Before you select a spot to set camp take a drive around the immediate area, consult a map and figure out your best "escape" routes. It may sound paranoid but this is what you are asking about. If you feel so threatened by someone who arrives at your site or approaches your site you can quickly pile into your vehicle and escape, just leave your stuff at camp.

3. Once you have selected your site be sure to position your vehicle so it can not be blocked in. I prefer sites that have a back door exit in case I am blocked in from the main entrance by another vehicle or for that matter a downed tree, fire....

4. Don't spread out too much. Pack everything away when you are done with it, kitchen, toys or whatever you took out unless you are still using it. By the time it's time for bed the camp chairs are the last thing still out. It saves time in the morning, helps prevent annimals or people from investigating and if you need to leave in a hurry it is one less distraction.

Paid campgrounds are fine too, there is nothing shameful or not hardcore enough in using them. It's preference. I prefer remote but if the timing, location and conditions require the use of a paid spot then no worries.

Also consider that there is no guarantee of safety with a paid campground. They are often easily accessible as well as remote or out of the way which can be a good place for dis-honest opportunity.

Brian

Last edited:

lamontagne

Adventurer
I take it your in AZ?

I'd HIGHLY recommend somewhere (anywhere) in the Blue Range Primitive area, otherwise known as the White Mountains. It far enough from the metro areas to keep out a lot of the "trouble makers" but well worth the drive if you make a long weekend out of it.

To be more specific, I'd look for somewhere around the White, Black, or Little Colorado rivers and catch some Apache Trout for dinner while your at it!

Rockcrawler

Adventurer
Try a campground for a night or two to work out the bugs (figuratively speaking), then go a little more remote. :safari-rig:

This is the route I took and it couldn't have worked out more perfectly... there was a loud, rowdy party bunch next to us... after this, my wife agreed with me and now has no complaints about camping in the middle of nowhere with me. There are a few more wrinkles with the little one, but nothing to be concerned with.

The power inverter and battery pack as well as the toilet and shower went a long way to making camping more palatable in the 4WC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online