Camping with kids..Off the beaten path or in a campground?

earthmuffin

Observer
We do one trip a year and stay in a state park, and the only reason that we do that is because it is with a large group of people that want showers and we are more there for the fellowship and not the camping. I have to say that one trip is usually pretty miserable from the camping aspect of things. It is always crowded, the campsites are way too close together, and it runs about 20 bucks a night just to pitch a tent and park a car.

Thats not my idea of camping.

Everything else that we do is off the beaten path. Way more enjoyable.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
For a first timer (wife), clean bathrooms are pretty valuable. If you get clued in to a few nice public, developed camping spots by people whose point of view is similar to yours (like most of us on ExPo), then public camping is pretty enjoyable, mostly. The running water and nearby bathrooms (if clean) are quite enjoyable.

However, this sort of campground is fairly rare. Most public camping grounds are masterplanned with no concept of privacy, noise abatement, no screen trees from headlights, inadequate flat space for big family tents (but plenty of RV parking space!), no picnic benches/tables in trustworthy condition, and no adquate funding for maintainence staff to keep the bathrooms in good order.

It's these sorts of places that help the wife find the pleasure in wilderness camping!

There are exceptions, and they are very pleasant. There are some really nice spots very close to Prescott at Lnyx Lake for example:
523252092_YVgeM-L.jpg

As you refine your camping gear selections, preparation, meal planning, and comfort level, getting out into the wild is absolutely the best.

626685657_8AYft-L.jpg

One other thing to consider, is medicines for the 2 year old. Bring Benedryl to take care of any bug bite issues. Great for relieving teething stress too!

SilverBullet

Explorer
To answer your initial question... yes. We tend to use campgrounds for our short weekend trips, and with 3 kids, bathrooms are nice to have around. We do, however, camp in off beat areas too. Those trips tend to be a bit shorter.

Another thing to note for our case is that we use a camping pop up trailer. I have given it a spring over, so it goes to the backroads pretty well, but it is not an adventure trailer by any means. After our smallest one gets a bit older (2 months now) we will look into tents again. Heat and wind protection are a must for us right now.

Prescott area has lots of nice rural campgrounds, I particularly like Yavapai CG and Hilltop for privacy.

93BLAZER

Explorer
Thanks for all the feedback!

Dont think we can all fit in my well used Ultra Light Year one man tent sooo.....

It looks like we'll be tent and "Porta Potty" shopping this weekend!

To answer your initial question... yes. We tend to use campgrounds for our short weekend trips, and with 3 kids, bathrooms are nice to have around. We do, however, camp in off beat areas too. Those trips tend to be a bit shorter.

Another thing to note for our case is that we use a camping pop up trailer. I have given it a spring over, so it goes to the backroads pretty well, but it is not an adventure trailer by any means. After our smallest one gets a bit older (2 months now) we will look into tents again. Heat and wind protection are a must for us right now.

Prescott area has lots of nice rural campgrounds, I particularly like Yavapai CG and Hilltop for privacy.

Is "hilltop" near Lynx Lake?

Rev

Adventurer
We stay at provincial parks that have large, well spaced out sites. This way we have privacy and some security, plus showers! Perhaps some research into state parks that are well-spaced.

IMG_2259.jpg

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Where are you finding provincial parks with well-spaced sites? I've been to Algonquin, Killbear, Silver Lake, Presque'ile, Balsam Lake... I'm sure a few others. Always too close together.

Rev

Adventurer
Where are you finding provincial parks with well-spaced sites? I've been to Algonquin, Killbear, Silver Lake, Presque'ile, Balsam Lake... I'm sure a few others. Always too close together.

That picture is at Awenda, which we quite like. That was early on in the season and there were only two other occupid spots in that section. It is smaller and more spaced out than most.

I used to really like KIllbear, but now find it very tight and we don't go there anymore.

I have seen some parts of Algonquin that are spaced out, and nice and private, but I have never camped there in that capacity. I have only done the 12 hour canoe trip in where you don't see anyone for days.

We went to Arrowhead last year. The tent camping section stinks. But, funny enough, the electric sites are well spaced in some parts. When we drove through we were amused to watch a deer wandering through the sites while the campers who were around sat perfectly still as to not scare it away. We went there because my uncle drives there every year from Windsor because he finds it quiet.

None of these are the same as driving off road for 6 hours into the bush, but they are a nice compromise at times. We enjoy them. And we like people, so we don't mind when neighbours wander by the site at times. We like to walk around and see how people set up their sites. A lot of teenagers like to ask about the lifted Xterra.

edit: found a couple pics of arrowhead. It was a very private spot.
IMG_2498.jpg

IMG_2524.jpg

IMG_2425.jpg

IMG_2485.jpg

Last edited:

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I often wonder why... with as much space as the provincial parks have available, WHY do they have to pack the tent sites in so tight? I guess I understand they want to avoid the equivalent of "suburban sprawl", but really, couldn't they leave 50 feet between sites? Would it really be that bad?

Thanks, I might check out Awenda and Arrowhead. Not too far either.

Rev

Adventurer
I often wonder why... with as much space as the provincial parks have available, WHY do they have to pack the tent sites in so tight? I guess I understand they want to avoid the equivalent of "suburban sprawl", but really, couldn't they leave 50 feet between sites? Would it really be that bad?

Thanks, I might check out Awenda and Arrowhead. Not too far either.

I agree 100%!

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I'm planning on trying some of the canoe in or hike-in sites this year. I just wish they had "Wheel-in" camping sites! :) There are a couple spots in Algonquin: Achray, Brent, Kiosk and Algonquin South where the campsite is at the end of a long gravel road. But it would be great if they had some on roads where RV's fear to tread. ;)

photoman

Explorer
Do whatever makes the lady comfortable. Young kids don't care where you are, what there is to see, or if there are other people around. Did a father son camping trip with some buddies when our boys were two. Had a bunch of Tonka trucks, fishing poles with bobbers but not hooks, and let the boys throw rocks in the creek. The kids played, cast, and threw all weekend. :wings:

Little potties work great for the kids as most have a hard time doing their business the outdoor way the first couple times camping.

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
I took my wife and kid to their first non campground camping last oct. my one mistake was listening to my buddy about bathroom options. myself, give me a log to lean against and i am happy. but the wife was not thrilled. second problem we had was our daughter (11 months at that time) and the result of giving her some fried potatos for the first time. It was also her first bad reaction to any food, and it was BAD. i ended up having to bring both the wife and kid out at 2am and was back in camp by 5am (easy trip out but hauled butt back in)
We got our tax returns on monday and yesterday I ordered a new tent, 2 new stoves, a toddler carrier backback, and of course the new toilet and outhouse. I went with the luggable loo toilet seat and i am incorporating a 7 gallon bucket instead of the 5 gallon that usually comes with it. little bigger in the truck but it was $12 Vs the PETT at $80.
We have 5 camp trips set up before june 23rd already. only 2 in a public campground.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Little potties work great for the kids as most have a hard time doing their business the outdoor way the first couple times camping.

Not mine! After the first time I showed him how to "pee on a tree", the babysitter is telling me everytime they're in the backyard, he runs off, drops trow, and takes a leak!

James86004

Expedition Leader
We camped in remote spots with out little one. First trip was when she was 3 months old, and the only reason we waited that long was because it took that long for the snow to melt.

We camped somewhere north of Lake Powell Labor Day Weekend 2001. 37°16'54.55"N, 111°31'13.22"W or thereabouts. We didn't see another soul after leaving pavement. I remember it was the first time she pulled herself up in her pack-n-play.

We were really out of touch with the world only a few days before September 11th. I wish we had stayed there.

Attachments

• Camp 010902.kmz
    707 bytes · Views: 26

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior