Camping with kids..Off the beaten path or in a campground?

photoman

Explorer
Not mine! After the first time I showed him how to "pee on a tree", the babysitter is telling me everytime they're in the backyard, he runs off, drops trow, and takes a leak!

My boy had no problem peeing on a tree but when it came time to do the duty he was not having it. I of course blame his mom. :sombrero:

SeaRubi

Explorer
remote as you can get it. the kids are genuinely afraid of the dark and their instinct for detecting wild animals is so primal and severe that it's a huge ********** in the face to realize that we're animals ourselves, living off instincts. the kids get a lot more from the experience by being truly out.

if you can do it, I highly advocate backpacking. knowing that you're a day's hike from the safety of a car or a highway is an even bigger game changer. I think it's good that children are able to develop some skills in handling their fear, and to be able to use that fear to seriously consider what you're teaching to them about various self-sufficiency topics.

Last year we were on a trip and were relying on the presence of a natural spring for resupplying our water, necessary to cook the freeze dried dinners. After setting up camp and the tent, we headed out to find the spring. There was a genuine concern in our daughter that we wouldn't find the spring and wouldn't have enough food to eat, and she began to panic a little. We had our USGS quad maps and a compass, and made a point to stop frequently to sight the terrain and follow the trail on the map with her. One of the best times I've had as a father was that exercise. Managing fear - learning not to panic - using the available tools, including the one between your ears - all to survive. We found the spring eventually and it was such a huge reward for her. She was giddy about helping cook dinner because she helped find he spring. I tell ya what - nothing beats lessons like this. Or those kind of memories as a parent.

cheers,
-ike

labbe66

Observer
We have done quite a bit of camping in both types of spots. The campground trips tend to be with groups and are definitely not my preference but they work to get the family out there. One thing to think about is primitive camping relatively near a campground. Usually this is pretty easy to do and offers an easy solution if the primitive thing is just not working on a specific trip. I agree with what others have said, managing the attitudes of the family is far more important than managing what others my be inclined to do.
We live in a National Forest in the Sierras and I have the opposite problem with my kids. They are so used to crapping outdoors that when we visit "society" they occasionally crap in the landscaped dividers in the strip mall parking lot... talk about hustling for the diaper bag!

keating

One other thing to consider, is medicines for the 2 year old. Bring Benedryl to take care of any bug bite issues. Great for relieving teething stress too!

Also makes them sleep like the proverbial baby rather than the conventional baby.

Greggk

ZombieSoldier
i prefer off the beaten path... that way my family doesnt have to deal with other annoying people

5Runner

Adventurer
i prefer off the beaten path... that way my family doesnt have to deal with other annoying people

X2 (or should I say X5, because even the kids groan at crowded locations...telling me to "keep going dad, find a tougher trail!" ha!)

craig333

Expedition Leader
While I prefer off the beaten path, I'd probably do a campground first to see how things go.

Also, don't forget just because you've been to the must see places, your kids haven't. Its worth staying in a campground to see places like Yosemite, Lassen Volcanic National Park, Big Trees State Park etc. Then you can go off the beaten path.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior