canter rims

alan

Explorer
My alloy 16" x 8" rims are due to arrive in factory early next week, they are DOT approved and rated at 1800kg each..
DSCF6724.jpg

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
And these are the machined finish, they can be polished as well!:Wow1:

Hi Alan. Very, very nice. All the best for the New Year too.

Mate check out the 16.5 bfg's muddies I think you will find the ratings are fine as you look at the rating per tyre so times it by four that's the limit you can handle cheers

If only it was that simple....... No.. times the load rating of the tyre x 2 , if that figure is less than the given factory axle load for either front or rear , then that's what it is !!! On a 6 ton GVM FG truck , if the rear axle is rated at 4300kg and you fit 2 x tyres rated at only 1800kg each for example, then the axle has to be derated to 3600 kg ....so 700 kg less . Some engineers / inspectors would then expect the truck to be derated by up to 700 kg to 5.3 ton. Have seen this enforced strongly here in Queensland. Get caught up here with tyres under-rated for the truck and they just put you off the road but have an accident with an overloaded setup and you'd be stuffed, insurance-wise. Be careful.

This is part of the reason an FG is only rated at 6000kg even though the front is 2600kg and the rear is 4300kg (which totals 6900kg). Putting 2 x 1800 tyres on the front doesn't change the fact that the axle is still only rated at 2600kg either. In this case, they calculated that the truck needs the extra 900 kg safety factor when loaded ....so I guess they theorize that if you load the truck to max GVM then it doesn't matter if the CoG is too far forward or aft as the axles are capabale of that extra safety margin...... and even though 4 x the 1800kg rating adds up to 6200kg.

Of course, the BFG's would probably be fine if the truck has been derated to 4.5ton as many are. Is it? Not sure exactly which BFG's are in question but that's the math behind it.

Last edited:

offroadpup

This is part of the reason an FG is only rated at 6000kg even though the front is 2600kg and the rear is 4300kg (which totals 6900kg). Putting 2 x 1800 tyres on the front doesn't change the fact that the axle is still only rated at 2600kg either. In this case, they calculated that the truck needs the extra 900 kg safety factor when loaded ....so I guess they theorize that if you load the truck to max GVM then it doesn't matter if the CoG is too far forward or aft as the axles are capabale of that extra safety margin...... and even though 4 x the 1800kg rating adds up to 6200kg.

Of course, the BFG's would probably be fine if the truck has been derated to 4.5ton as many are. Is it? Not sure exactly which BFG's are in question but that's the math behind it.

The ratings must vary from model to model. Mine is a 2000 model and is rated at 5500Kg total but the tyre placard states 2360kg front and 3300kg rear. With this model at least these rims walk it in at 1800kg. I've also checked out most tyre brands and only a couple are up to the rating, if I remember rightly (was 6 months ago) kuhmo had one that was load rated 127 and I bought Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs 315/75/R16 which are also load rated 127. No other kuhmo or Goodyear size was rated this high. I'd have loved to run something bigger like 37s but the bigger (and smaller) sizes were not rated as high. These tyres are also rated to 160kph so they are more practical than some of other 16" load rated tyres like some of the michilens which were only good for 90 or 100 kph.

They look great too :p

wheels1.jpgwheels2.jpg

Cheers

-Andy

canter tourer

Adventurer
The ratings must vary from model to model. Mine is a 2000 model and is rated at 5500Kg total but the tyre placard states 2360kg front and 3300kg rear. With this model at least these rims walk it in at 1800kg. I've also checked out most tyre brands and only a couple are up to the rating, if I remember rightly (was 6 months ago) kuhmo had one that was load rated 127 and I bought Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs 315/75/R16 which are also load rated 127. No other kuhmo or Goodyear size was rated this high. I'd have loved to run something bigger like 37s but the bigger (and smaller) sizes were not rated as high. These tyres are also rated to 160kph so they are more practical than some of other 16" load rated tyres like some of the michilens which were only good for 90 or 100 kph.

They look great too :
Cheers

-Andy

Hi Andy,

Hijack I know, but did you get the duratac's in Aust from a dealer as they don't list this size online?

They do look great, Alan has done a brilliant job sourcing these:) I get mine this week and my old girl will look all bling too!

Thanks
Dave

offroadpup

Hi Andy,

Hijack I know, but did you get the duratac's in Aust from a dealer as they don't list this size online?

They do look great, Alan has done a brilliant job sourcing these:) I get mine this week and my old girl will look all bling too!

Thanks
Dave

Hi Dave,

I could not find any in AUS of that size either. I brought mine in from the US about 6 months ago. I used www.tirerack.com who whipped via Fedex. I brought in 6 in 2 shipments a week apart (which makes no real difference to total freight cost but keeps each shipment under the $1000 GST mark), all up they were around $2100AUD for 6 tyres including shipping to my door (pretty cheap in my opinion).

The freight options (including the price of the tyres) were 6 tires (1 order of 6) : $2179.57 US or 6 tires (2 orders of 3 each) : $1113.83US x 2 = $2227.66 US. The first option would have another $300 worth of costs at this end for GST and other clearance charges so the second was the cheapest. The guy quoting whinged like hell at having to get 2 quotes and tried to tell me all 6 together would be far cheaper but as suspected it just wasn't. Be very careful to watch the freight quotes though, Fedex were quite reasonable then but they have had some bad press about losing money recently and last week I got a quote or tyres that was almost double what it was last march for the same tyres so you may find they are more expensive now.

There is another couple of avenues you could try for Australian sources first; Kumho Road Venture MT KL71 315/75R16 (which I did not like as much) and Firestone Destination M/T 315/75R16 (this was my first choice but were out of stock in the US too at the time). Both of these had a load rating of 127 also but neither were available here at the time either. There is also the Firestone Destination A/T 315/75R16 bit these are more of a road/trail tyre which are a lot more sedate looking, they were 127 load rating though the same as the others. Everything else I've seen were below load rating 126 (for singles) which were too light for my truck, including all of the BFG options I could find. The Destination M/T had the best reviews followed closely by the Duratracs.

The reason this size is not found in Australia commonly is that in the US they are generally used on Chev Suburbans and the like which are not sold here. You may find other US sources if you could find a forum for that kind of truck.

Hope it helps,

-Andy

canter tourer

Adventurer
Thanks Andy,

As I suspected we are in the dark in Aus when it comes to decent tyre options with appropriate load ratings. I had researched it a while back and came to the same conclusion that the states was the only way to go, but hoped you had an aussie option. Ah well, the US it will be one day when I get the dollars together.

Regards
Dave

blackduck

Explorer
andy
youll have to keep us up to date on how the rims and tyres stand up to a bit of a flogging
while im all for polished alloy the crusty old fart in me says nothing handles abuse like good old steel
i like the idea of 16" wheels just not sure about having to rely on the good old US of A for tyre supplies
especially if the dollar takes a dive

stu

offroadpup

Hi Stu,

andy
youll have to keep us up to date on how the rims and tyres stand up to a bit of a flogging
while im all for polished alloy the crusty old fart in me says nothing handles abuse like good old steel

They are certainly soft and as careful as we could be with the wheel balancer at the local tyre shop we could not help but scuff them on the inner mating surface while doing it which is visible on the back wheels, but I think it would polish out if you were worried about it (I'm not, wont be long before they get exposed to worse stuff than that). I'm sure they wont wear as well as steel, in the end I just could not buy any in steel ones at an 8" width.

We got stuffed around by Eastern Wheel works who was all talk about it being no problem until we ordered and they suddenly began stalling, not returning calls, making excuses etc etc. The trouble was we already had the tyres on the way from the states based on their assurances. None of the other wheel manufacturers we tried (Titan/Andy's, ROH, mullins, Adelaide wheel etc) could build a wheel to the load rating in steel, the issue was there are simply no outer rims available any more. All said ROH were the only ones making them but don't any more. They could all get agricultural rims in the size but they are not approved for highway use (no valley in the middle for instance to keep a flat tyre on the rim at speed as required by ADR). In the end Alan's option was simply the only one to suit the 16" tyres we had bought.

It wont get much work for a couple of months yet until the truck is ready, but when it does i'll report in. I've checked out all the options on whether to clear coat, ceramic coat, powder coat them etc etc but nothing seems ideal. Clear will peal off (even wheel repairers have said it cant be done reliably), ceramic is too dear and not clear, powder coat can be done in clear but the rims need acid etching first which destroys the look with random etch patterns so would need to be silver coat instead. It will be doing a fair bit of beach work so im going to try coating it with lanolin before we leave and cleaning and polishing them on return from trips for a start, at least to see how long till I get sick of polishing them :) Once that happens I have the option of sandblasting and the powder coating which was not too bad ($77 per rim).

blackduck said:
i like the idea of 16" wheels just not sure about having to rely on the good old US of A for tyre supplies
especially if the dollar takes a dive
stu

I went for 16s because it had a very nice (beautifully made, very strong) set of Andy's Rims (now Titan) 19.5"s on it when we bought it and it rode terribly (read: backbreaking) on the 19.5 tyres. I've been driving it around on Michelin XL 9.00s while waiting for the rims to come and its a totally different truck, much much softer ride with a forgiving sidewall. Also despite what some may say, having done almost 30 years of beach work in 4x4s and towing vans on the sand also, nothing beats letting the air out and getting a big flat wide long pad to float along on and I just don't think I'll get that out of the narrower, much lower profile, less conforming 19.5s. This is why the XZLs are so good, they have sidewall to balloon, despite being much narrower than the ones I've opted for. I'll confess though, the tread pattern I've opted for is not ideal for sand (a little too aggressive) but they will be ok, I just wanted a go-anywhere tyre this time so this was it.

With regards the US and the inevitable sliding dollar, all of the Australian sourced ones will go through the roof in no time flat anyway if that happens. You'd have to have cash waiting to buy within weeks of a drop before local stocks run out to negate that.

There were also several options in 16s but I could only find one suitable in 19.5" size (the Toyo M608) which seemed a risk to me if they go out of production or get suddenly expensive. If I downrate the truck to 4495kg (which I'll do if I can keep the weight down) I have a dozen tyres to choose from with a 124 rating in 16s. The trucks these are found on in the US are one one of the most common vehicles on earth so supplies wont stop any time soon. The Toyos seem a specialty tyre to me with no great volume to them as is with the 16s, you certainly wont see them on a few million average US pickups.

In any case, to each his own. I'll see how I fare with these and report in. They are a very substantial rim. They were also very light. The steel 16s wit the Michelins on them weighed in at 59.8Kg each, with tyres these weigh in at 42Kg (over 100kg saving over the 6 rims).

Cheers -Andy

blackduck

Explorer
.(over 100kg saving over the 6 rims).

.Andy
i assume your running these as singles with 2 spares
how does the overall diameter of the tyres compare to the stock 7.50's and what effect does it have on speedo error
im totaly impressed with the look of the rims and tyres and depending on how they wear will put a set on my shopping list after the parabolics go onluckily my swb is already down rated to 4.5T so tyres shouldnt be a drama
hopefully alan will be stocking the rims by the time i get round the top end and back to the east coast
either way - totaly impressed they look fantastic

offroadpup

Andy
i assume your running these as singles with 2 spares
Yes indeed.

how does the overall diameter of the tyres compare to the stock 7.50's and what effect does it have on speedo error

I've not driven it yet, I only got the other side mounted yesterday. They are a little bit shorter than my 9.00s (~35.5") but taller than my 7.50s (~32"). Spec sheet says 34.6" diameter (879mm) and that looks right measuring them. On mine with the bigger 9.00s the speedo was only a few kph slow (~3-4) so I suspect the speedo had been corrected by the previous owner. With the new ones it should be pretty right.

If you are running 7.50s (~812mm) with an accurate speedo then at 100 on your speedo with these tyres you should be doing about 108kph.

im totaly impressed with the look of the rims and tyres and depending on how they wear will put a set on my shopping list

Im hoping for reasonable wear, they rated 8.2/10 for treadwear on a survey of 295 people. The only better one was the firestones (which rated 8.4) in this size & load rating.

They honestly look better in person, you cant really see how wide these tyres are in the photos I put up. I've taken one of one of the spares which shows it better;

pa.jpg

-Andy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle