Chinese Trailer - NJStar Explorer

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Yep all of those are Chinese trailers. 3x markup is the only way it makes sense to make a profit on these. For example, for my trailer, it’s going to be $10,000+ in shipping and customs fees. That puts it closer to $30k. You would need to sell it for at least $10k profit to run a profitable dealership, so price would be $40k plus here. I think for most people ordering from Alibaba is not an option due to the high risks - you can rack up tens of thousands of dollars in fees if anything goes wrong with customs. You also need to pay all of the money upfront (with tons of reserves in case anything goes wrong - otherwise your trailer will be seized at the port), financing also isn’t an option like it is with dealers. Then getting it registered and insured is another huge mountain to climb. I think it’s actually fair that dealers would charge $10k markup, especially if they are providing any sort of warranty which you obviously don’t get ordering straight from China.

I would never ever buy directly through Alibaba.... There are companies in China that steal images from other websites just to pretend to be the manufacturer. We had several instances where potential customers pointed out pictures of our campers on their websites. Thanks to our guys in China, they set them straight and images where removed quickly.
In other words: Don't believe what you see on any of the Chinese online sales platforms. Only buy from companies that have a physical office here in North America that deals with customer service and warranties.

I have imported at least 200 container loads of goods in the last 8 years and learned a thing or two :)

oregontrd

I would never ever buy directly through Alibaba.... There are companies in China that steal images from other websites just to pretend to be the manufacturer. We had several instances where potential customers pointed out pictures of our campers on their websites. Thanks to our guys in China, they set them straight and images where removed quickly.
In other words: Don't believe what you see on any of the Chinese online sales platforms. Only buy from companies that have a physical office here in North America that deals with customer service and warranties.

I have imported at least 200 container loads of goods in the last 8 years and learned a thing or two :)

Agreed that it can be risky but you also have you use your head when shopping there (or anywhere online). It’s pretty obvious when the photos are not their own (for example, the dozens of listings with photos of the patriot camper trailers). I used alibaba to find the factory and got in touch with them directly and only decided to move forward after weeks of back and forth communication, video call tours of the trailer and factory, finding people who have already purchased one, etc. Due diligence is key, no matter where you’re shopping.

CrusherZR2

Hey! So did you receive the trailer? I’m very interested in getting one. Seems like a perfect one for me! I got in contact with frank the guy who makes the YouTube videos, he referred me to another guy named Moses who I guess helps with tge process of getting the trailer here?

Runmorun

I have one of these here in California. Anyone interested in more information let me know. They are no longer selling directly to the public after this month. I am an authorized dealer so happy to provide information. Not here to make a sale.

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
One of these has been for sale locally for quite a while. Seems one is able to import into/register in Canada (at least in British Columbia).

frrwz6B.png

AZHOBBIEZ

I have one of these here in California. Anyone interested in more information let me know. They are no longer selling directly to the public after this month. I am an authorized dealer so happy to provide information. Not here to make a sale.
Sir,

I have been watching these trailer for quite some time now...I'd like to see one in person. Is there a way to contact you to arrange for a tour of the unit and maybe to answer any questions?

Runmorun

One of these has been for sale locally for quite a while. Seems one is able to import into/register in Canada (at least in British Columbia).

frrwz6B.png
I can confirm they are approved for import and registration in the US, Canada, the EU with small lighting and signing mods, the UAE, Australia, and many other countries who abide by similar standards as the US DOT.

@oregontrd Any updates on the shipment? Have you taken possession yet?

I came across this thread this weekend. The previous week I place my order down payment and they have started the manufacturing process. After hearing some of the potential hangups you’ve mentioned I am a bit nervous. I have gotten in touch with another guy who has imported one and he has been quite helpful. I was originally thinking about picking it up at the port but now thinking maybe things might go smoother if I have a transport company take care of that. We shall see. Eager to know your experience.

DFNDER

There’s nothing unique about huge markups in trailers vs any other imported product. It’s all a matter of scale, warranty requirements, and risk. For a small scale business like trailers, and in particular a niche market like off-road trailers, an importing business has to make enough margin to cover warranties, shipping and storage, marketing, salaries, insurance (including product liability), licensing, and inventory just to name the key costs. Any importing business will face the same costs, and 100% markup on a low margin product would be expected if not normal.

When you import yourself you take on all the risk that an importer takes on, so if the axle falls off and kills someone, or you get electrocuted, you have nobody to sue, and no way to warranty anything. Good luck getting the Chinese mfg to help. Not to mention inferior no name parts of questionable engineering quality, no safety certifications, and the knowledge that it’s probably a pilfered design from a western firm.

People try this all the time in the bike market, and sometimes a frame or wheel fails and there’s no recourse. You may get lucky and save some money, but the idea that there are crazy markups when these companies take on all that risk and need to make what are probably paltry profits as is, is just silly.

Hope it works in this case, but I bet that after a few years you will have to invest in so many fixes and upgrades that it won’t have saved much. Just looking at those cheap flexible solar panels on the roof and I can see those will be one of the first of many things you’ll want to replace. Sorry, I’ve looked into this route for several different purchases and buying direct from China is a risky endeavor.

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
Unfortunately it's true, but we purchase enough stock from China. So some items are good to very good. Some are questionable!
Ultimately we decide, same goes here in the USA. Most trailer manufacturers make it very difficult to work with under warranty. Plus the time, expense and travel require to honor warranty work. So most customers just take their losses and go on with life!

Runmorun

Still interested in seeing how this turns out. OP seems to have gone quiet.
I have one here in California, if you have questions about the trailer please ask as I can answer any inquiries as to the build quality, parts used, finish, and especially warranty. Will be offering these in the US for sale starting next month.

Family Trust has several RV repair shops we have gotten four Chinese trailers and nobody's paying for repairs for quality are poor workmanship you get the b******* it's the sellers responsibilities the seller says it's the Chinese fault all that's happening is you're getting charged storage fees so what you need to do is you have to drive over to that Chinese manufacturer and talk to them make sure your car dose not get wet .something that we discussed is how slimy the sellers are selling Chinese pieces of garbage

Runmorun

How does this trailer compare to the Conquer Falcon 500 (aka Tribe expedition 500)

They are very different trailers for very different missions. Looks like the Falcon would be good if you need high head room but low tow height. I have no experience with the Falcon so I can't comment on their build quality, but it looks well optioned.

The NJStar Explorer has been produced for 11 years in China by a dedicated factory. They are a top seller of overland trailers in mainland China and are just now branching out to other countries. They build a quality product and provide worldwide warranty support. I did a lot of research before I took the plunge and had it looked at by those who know more than I ever will all with very positive reports.

We were very hesitant, but as they say, fortune favors the bold, and we have been very satisfied. Just my personal experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior