Chinese Trailer - NJStar Explorer

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I was on alibaba the other day just perusing the "expedition" style campers.
It's amazing what they build and charge for what you can get in China vs what you can get in North America.
Sure quality may not be on par but for the price difference that's something I'd be willing to work with.
Hopefully all works out well for you!
Umm the issue here in the US is the dealer model. They batch order these at a discount sub 20k then price them at $80,000 here. 😆😆. Its the US Consumer thats the problem. Du ok heres my signature for $80,000 7yr financed loan on a 19k Chinese trailer👍. Yes your probably better off going alibaba and skipping the US Dealer.
Black label was first to try it. Opus 2nd, now MDC variants etc👍
Agreed sub 20k mehh can fix the quality issues no biggie. $80,000 nope better be some good stuff….
Very curious how it goes👍

oregontrd

Umm the issue here in the US is the dealer model. They batch order these at a discount sub 20k then price them at $80,000 here. 😆😆. Its the US Consumer thats the problem. Du ok heres my signature for $80,000 7yr financed loan on a 19k Chinese trailer👍. Yes your probably better off going alibaba and skipping the US Dealer.
Black label was first to try it. Opus 2nd, now MDC variants etc👍
Agreed sub 20k mehh can fix the quality issues no biggie. $80,000 nope better be some good stuff….
Very curious how it goes👍
Yep, agreed, feels like people’s comfort levels with debt have changed dramatically last couple of years… it’s gotta be a huge factor to the price of cars and RVs these days.
Thanks for documenting this and taking everyone along for the journey!!
Happy to do it, as long as everyone promises not to make fun of me if this all goes haywire haha. Hoping it it goes well though and that this will be a path for others to do the same.

The Artisan

Adventurer
My wife and I are expecting later this year and realized that our favorite hobby of traveling long distances on dusty roads and sleeping in the back of the car along the way isn't going to fly anymore and started the search for a trailer that could fit a small family. Say what you want, but prices for off-road trailers are absolutely insane. Whether the value is there or not is obviously up to each person and their financial situation, but we knew that we'd rather spend $60K+ on a bit of land somewhere before we'd spend it on a trailer for the occasional road trip or weekend camping trip. We set our budget to <$30k and started looking, and essentially found nothing that fit the bill from the usual suspects.

One option we strongly considered was the Opus OP4. It was great to see in person, the living space is a palace, and they can be found used for $20-25k. Unfortunately the amount of canvas would restrict our usage here in PNW with how rainy it is, and the setup time (and space required) would restrict our movement for the longer trips where we just need a place to crash on the side of the road. Digging further into the OPUS, realized that most of the models are made in China, with final assembly here in US. This sent me down a rabbit hole of how many trailers are actually built there vs in Australia or here in USA and spoiler alert: it's a lot of them. Going deeper down the rabbit hole I started trying to track down the factories to try to figure out what is the actual price of the trailers and stumbled upon, what is to us, the perfect trailer: The NJStar Explorer.

The Explorer clearly takes inspiration from the UEV 490, but with some meaningful differences that really make it perfect for us. For starters, the interior doesn't look like a prison cell, but instead uses lighter colored materials and wood accents. It also has an interior shower booth and sink which for us is quite important. It also comes standard with a 12V AC, diesel heater, diesel water heater (or propane depending on how you option it), 370W solar, insulated canvas, and the list goes on. Before shipping and options it is $19.8k, with about another $3k to get it shipped stateside. The issue is of course, getting it over here, getting it past customs, getting it properly insured and registered. Lucky for me, I'm not the smartest person when it comes to avoiding challenges like this so we decided to order it and put down our $6k deposit. The trailer is currently being built and I will be updating this thread with the progress of the build, the shipping, and all of the challenges of getting it from the port to on the road. Wish me luck!

51b27aa680.jpg

c0327d162a.jpg

30d32bfb38.jpg
4f4ff51395.jpg

b45aafe7ea.jpg
64279235b7.jpg

Video of the trailer from the factory:
Looks nice does your 19.8k include up to 35% tariffs?
Kevin

Last edited:

oregontrd

Looks nice does your 19.8k include up to 35% tarriffs?
Kevin
Oh, totally forgot to mention this! It should be around $5000 (25%) for the tariffs in addition to the price I mentioned. Camper trailers are under
HTS Code: 8716.10.00 which falls under Tariffs Action List 3 (25% rate), for anyone else researching this.

I'll make sure to do a full price breakdown once it's all said and done.

Last edited:

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

Been watching some vids on your NJStar. Lots of them which is a good thing. Those rear stab jacks are interesting. You might have to make some changes on the propane system?

oregontrd

Been watching some vids on your NJStar. Lots of them which is a good thing. Those rear stab jacks are interesting. You might have to make some changes on the propane system?
I'm working with them to make sure they include NA standard fittings. It's not a huge deal though since it's just the connector from the exterior of the tongue box to the inside where I'll add a tank. I optioned the diesel powered water heater (there is also a propane option) so the propane tank will only be used for a stove.

Keeping an eye on importation ...
Yep, this will be the fun part. Right now I'm waiting for them to get the VIN registered before sending them final payment and starting the shipping / importation process. They're out for a week or so for some upcoming national holiday so that won't kick off until Oct 6 or later.

The trailer is (almost) done, with a couple more things left such as a rear storage cover and different awning mounted.

b845b7ab-c10d-42d8-a2a3-c896adf23b49.JPGIMG-1046.JPG
I opted in for the NA standard ball mount hitch even though they offer upgrades to both McHitch and DO35 hitches. I decided this will be the most fool proof for picking it up from the port, especially if I have to have a hired driver pick it up for me. Planning on replacing this myself with a DO35 right away though. I'm also planning on replacing the jockey wheel with a X0750. The trailer has a 13 pin harness connector but it will ship with an adapter to a 7 pin.

IMG-1048.JPG
They had to replace the amber outboard lights with a red one to meet DOT standards. In China, the amber light is used for both turn signal and braking while the red one is the running light only. They couldn't rewire the harness to make the amber one be turn signal only so we decided to just swap it for a red one. I will most likely rewire this so both red lights are turn signal / brake / running light. Also planning on making a different license plate mount and removing the one it ships with.

IMG-1049.JPG
Finishing touches

plh

Explorer
I'm working with them to make sure they include NA standard fittings. It's not a huge deal though since it's just the connector from the exterior of the tongue box to the inside where I'll add a tank. I optioned the diesel powered water heater (there is also a propane option) so the propane tank will only be used for a stove.

Yep, this will be the fun part. Right now I'm waiting for them to get the VIN registered before sending them final payment and starting the shipping / importation process. They're out for a week or so for some upcoming national holiday so that won't kick off until Oct 6 or later.

The trailer is (almost) done, with a couple more things left such as a rear storage cover and different awning mounted.

View attachment 798570View attachment 798571
I opted in for the NA standard ball mount hitch even though they offer upgrades to both McHitch and DO35 hitches. I decided this will be the most fool proof for picking it up from the port, especially if I have to have a hired driver pick it up for me. Planning on replacing this myself with a DO35 right away though. I'm also planning on replacing the jockey wheel with a X0750. The trailer has a 13 pin harness connector but it will ship with an adapter to a 7 pin.

View attachment 798572
They had to replace the amber outboard lights with a red one to meet DOT standards. In China, the amber light is used for both turn signal and braking while the red one is the running light only. They couldn't rewire the harness to make the amber one be turn signal only so we decided to just swap it for a red one. I will most likely rewire this so both red lights are turn signal / brake / running light. Also planning on making a different license plate mount and removing the one it ships with.

View attachment 798573
Finishing touches

Autumn Festival. Rarely do China holidays line up with those in USA. Makes making business over there fun...

Parb

Daydreaming
This is so cool. Semi-custom is totally the way to go. Looking forward to learning more from you.

I didn't realize this category also has the 25% tariff on it. Rough.

What type of mods are considering when you get it?

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
This is so cool. Semi-custom is totally the way to go. Looking forward to learning more from you.

Everything coming from China gets hammered by at least 25% duty. That was introduced by Trump to "punish" (his words) the Chinese. Reality is that it doesn't effect anyone over there. It's the American consumer that is paying it. Cash grab!

oregontrd

Everything coming from China gets hammered by at least 25% duty. That was introduced by Trump to "punish" (his words) the Chinese. Reality is that it doesn't effect anyone over there. It's the American consumer that is paying it. Cash grab!
Yep, it used to be 10% for this category before Trump added in the tariffs.

—-

Small update on the trailer. Yesterday got my VIN for it and confirmed that it properly shows up on the NHSTA VIN decoder. According to the VIN this will be the 5th trailer from them going to the US or Canada. I’m a little surprised they haven’t standardized a North American version yet since I had to do a lot of 1:1 back and fourth about all the various plug, connector, and exterior lighting standards here.

One of their sales guys has a YouTube channel where he posts daily. My trailer made it into one of the reels and shows the interior nicely:

I’ll be doing a video call walkthrough of it with them in the next day or two and then it’s time to start planning the shipping.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Yep, it used to be 10% for this category before Trump added in the tariffs.

—-

Small update on the trailer. Yesterday got my VIN for it and confirmed that it properly shows up on the NHSTA VIN decoder. According to the VIN this will be the 5th trailer from them going to the US or Canada. I’m a little surprised they haven’t standardized a North American version yet since I had to do a lot of 1:1 back and fourth about all the various plug, connector, and exterior lighting standards here.

One of their sales guys has a YouTube channel where he posts daily. My trailer made it into one of the reels and shows the interior nicely:

I’ll be doing a video call walkthrough of it with them in the next day or two and then it’s time to start planning the shipping.

The Chinese have certainly picked up the pace and this looks very nice.

oregontrd

For mods short term I’m only planning on on swapping the ball coupler for the D035 (which I’m buying from them as well it will just ship in a box in the trailer). For longer term:
- Install Redarc manager 30 and vision system
- Swap the wheels and tires (really don’t like the look of the ones it comes with)
- Probably upgrade suspension components depending on the performance of the ones it comes with
- Install airbags for leveling trailer at camp

I imported three Chinese trailers. The major pitfalls were shipping a full container and then having to pay to haul it from the port and try to find a dock to unload it. Ended up hiring a tow truck. The second one was the Trump tax, and now there is a new Chinese export tax that you may or may not be exempt from. The Trump tax was a 20-25% hit if I remember right. Big ouch. It was still covid but CA took a good year to finally get the registration and paperwork right. That was a major setback as well.

Good luck!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger