CO2 tank mount inside cab?

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Fire extinguishers have compressed co2 in them as well, and nobody gives those a second thought when storing them inside the vehicle...

Actually I believe extinguishers are filled with Liquid CO2 like a powertank but I might be wrong.

Regardless, I want to clarify what I think their website is pointing out...

- that a tank filed with liquid CO2 does not react the same as a tank filled with compressed CO2 when the valve or tank breaks open. The 'pressure filled' tank will likely become a projectile while the liquid filled tank should not...:victory:

That said, I store/wheel with my 15lbs. CO2 tank on my roof rack laying on its side secured with a pair of Quick fist clamps. I stand it when I need to use it which is usually only at the end of the trip.
:ylsmoke:

akraven

Don't confuse CO detectors (carbon monoxide) with the fact that these tanks have CO2 (carbon dioxide). Is there such a thing as a CO2 detector? If so where would you buy one?

Grizzlybait

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents. I'm an industrial instrument mechanic working in oil and gas, and my job regularly involves all the elements of this scenario -- driving off-road, or very rough roads with high pressure nitrogen bottles, etc.

Anyway, from all this, I'd be much more worried about getting pulverized by a flying tank, in the event of a rollover or other accident, and less about the contents. I've been lucky enough to never have rolled a truck, but it's not uncommon in this business. I know a guy that got tuned-up nicely by a flying 1 litre stainless steel thermos bottle full of coffee when he rolled his truck. It was actually pretty serious.

The answer to that, as you probably know, is to make sure your CO2 tank is well lashed-down in some way. Consider what would happen if you got hit in the noggin with that. But I guess that applies to anything that might come loose in the cab and start flying around.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Off-roading has enough hidden dangers, I carry fire-extinguishers for obvious reasons, but the constant worry and storage and CONSTANT cost of a CO2, bottle doesen't register on my radar

I have several other methods of tireinflation, so there's no need for a tank !!

:costumed-smiley-007:safari-rig::safari-rig: JIMBO

bmonday

Adventurer
Don't confuse CO detectors (carbon monoxide) with the fact that these tanks have CO2 (carbon dioxide). Is there such a thing as a CO2 detector? If so where would you buy one?

Good catch. You're right, of course. They do make CO2 detectors, but they are not the $10 CO detectors you can buy for your home.

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
The CO2 tank valve is well protected by a steel or plastic surround in all offroad company's setups.
The only way the safety will blow is from overfilling, and it would do it pretty quickly afterwards. Paranoid about it? Just use some after a fill up. Simple.
To blow the regulator, you would have to break it off. That's a pretty hard hit and impossible with the afforded protection.

I've never had any problem with CO2 tanks inside. It stays there all the time, in all conditions, all altitudes and never had one issue with it. extreme heat, temp change, washboard vibrations, offroad, on-road...

Maybe people are hung up on the mental image of a extingusher being "safe" and a "life saving device" while the CO2 is seen as a "air tank" to inflate tires even though they are very similar.

The only real issue is running out of CO2. It's hard to tell and people always think it's just air so they feel free to try and get some from you.

For the OP, nothing wrong with laying a tank flat. it's just a pain to always dismount and upright it every time you use it.

silvergrand

Adventurer
Here is how I secured my Powertank in my WJ. Just an example of one way to do it. I made use of the CD changer location.

IMG_0213-1.jpg

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
It may be of concern to you, when your tank has just been filled, to store it in the inside of a vehicle. In Phoenix, when summer temps frequently reach 110+ (and temps can exceed 200+ inside of your vehicle) the liquid could expand enough to blow the safety valve.

Thus an empty tank when you need it most.

It takes 3,000 lbs per square inch to blow the valve. At least that's what my power tank is listed at. It will never get hot enough in the truck to worry. But, If you're worried about this you can fill the c02 to 8-9 lbs and it can expand to 10 lbs. Our tank is black and bakes in the sun on top of our roof rack in 110 degree weather. Never a problem.

93BLAZER

Explorer
Adventureduo--- thanks for that info! i was worried it would blow. i always hated yaking it in and out of the truck in the summer.

what about mounting it inside the engine compartment?

space aside.. your thoughts??

Big Silver

For what it is worth, I work with cryo liquids and use it for cooling and can offer a couple of oblervations. First, CO2 will give you a bad headache. Good warning if your aware. Nitrogen on the other hand will not give you any warning. If you are consurned about slow leak and want to have an alarm, you need to use an O2 monitor.

rezdiver

Adventurer
Just a note to clear things up.
a CO2 cylinder has different ratings marked on it that what the CO2 actually is.
a steel bottle is usually rated for a working pressure of 2200psi.
an aluminium bottle is usually is rated for a maximum working pressure of 3000psi. this is the max working pressure and not the failure pressure which is much much higher.

CO2 is held in a liquid state under pressure in these bottles. CO2 has a gas to liquid transition phase at around 870 psi. this is the max pressure it is stored at give or take a 100 psi as it is now in liquid form.

the burst discs on the valves are rated to rupture before the cylinder due to gas expansion.
the valves and cylinders are stout and will handle some abuse but do not test this.
the only issue with storing the cylinder in an upright position is so that the burst disc can function when the pressure rises under extreme conditions, if it is laying down the burst disc is surrounded by liquid and will not function as designed, but CO2 does not expand high enough to cause a danger as the cylinders are rated much higher than the pressure of CO2 can rise to.

the vloume of CO2 is expanded at just over 600 times from liquid to gas form when exposed to atmospheric pressure, this is why it is such a good gas to use for pop machines and filling your tires, one bottle goes a long way and it is inert.

the reason for standing up a cylinder when in use is so that you have gas expansion going through your regulator and not liquid as this will freeze up your regulator.

as for CO2 leaking, close the valve, take the reg off. it will not leak. well it may but that is a maufacturers defect in the valve or a poorly maintained valve. the mechanism is a needle valve, when you close it stick your thumb in front of the opening (dont open the valve) and hold your thumb there and see if any pressure builds up against your thumb after few seconds, if not then its closed and the only way it will leak is if you bump the valve open.

Last edited:

java

Expedition Leader
if you want to store/use your tank horizantally ask about having a spihon tube added to your tank, its basically a tube that goes from the reg down into the rtank then turns up in the middle so that you will get gas not liquid.

bmonday

Adventurer
if youre that worried about the tank venting and filling the interior, and it is a legitimate concern, then this might be an option for in the cab...

http://www.firstalertstore.com/store/catalog.asp?item=1227

As someone pointed out to me earlier in the thread, that's a CO (carbon MONOXIDE) detector, and we're talking about CO2 (carbon DIOXIDE), which is a different beast altogether.

It doesn't help that some of the product descriptions erroneously reference CO2 in the fine print.

KG6BWS

Explorer
As someone pointed out to me earlier in the thread, that's a CO (carbon MONOXIDE) detector, and we're talking about CO2 (carbon DIOXIDE), which is a different beast altogether.

It doesn't help that some of the product descriptions erroneously reference CO2 in the fine print.

just put my dunce cap on. guess i should have actually payed attention when i looked at it....:oops:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger