Compact Utility bed turned Expedition trailer (CUB)

waterboy222

Adventurer
Can anyone offer advice on shocks? Its so incredibly bouncy, Im hoping its only because the shocks are bad and not enough leaf springs or something. It is REALLY bouncy, I can rock it back and forth with one hand.. If I put air shocks on it, will it cure that or just need to replace with regular shocks?

wagex

Adventurer
was this trailer on craigslist? i want to say i seen it on there when i was searching for roof top tents.

waterboy222

Adventurer
I am in love with the timbren setup but its not in the cards this year. The frame that's under it is still the frame from the Chevy s-10.. If I'm going the axleless route, I'll do an entirely new frame. And that's more work than I'm willing to start at the beginning of travel season!

Kabob1865

So, I bought the trailer from @waterboy222. Sorry for the lapse in the build thread. I don't feel like I have done anything substantial, but I've done a lot of fine tuning.

I use the trailer primarily for tailgating at Oklahoma State football games, but also for overlanding, so it had to be road worthy and compatible with my 2006 LJ.

Phase I
1. Lock-n-roll hitch. The pintle hitch was loud and heavy
image.jpg

Kabob1865

The next project was solving the bounciness and making this a better basic trailer. I added trailer brakes to the existing 3500 lb axle with a 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern to match my LJ. I upgraded to new 285/75r16 BFG KO2's on Rubicon wheels. I can use the spare tire from my jeep on the trailer. I redid the wiring using a waterproof junction box with a 7-pin and 4-pin plug.
image.jpg
Through a process of elimination and upgrade, I ended up scrapping the original s-10 suspension. I sourced new HD package S-10 leaf springs, Pro Comp ES9000 shocks, bar pin eliminators, 1.5-2" add-a-leaf lift, new spring hangers, Supersprings helper springs.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:

Choff

Adventurer
When you scrapped the original s-10 axle and leafs, what new axle and hubs did you go with??
I have a s-10 box with the original frame and axle, I need to get new axle for the frame width to mount GM 6 Bolt wheels.
Great build and upgrade-I like the trailer-looks very solid

Choff

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
When you scrapped the original s-10 axle and leafs, what new axle and hubs did you go with??
I have a s-10 box with the original frame and axle, I need to get new axle for the frame width to mount GM 6 Bolt wheels.

Choff

If you just want 6-bolt wheel pattern stuff, look at the Canyon/Colorado. 2003-2005 Astro/Safari also went GM 6-bolt, but was a wider axle than the S10.

Choff

Adventurer
Thanks Herbie,
Sound like the way to go, I would not be opposed to wider axle, I could make fenders, Looking to revamp the s-10 box trailer that has been a do all trailer for home into a more travel/camping trailer for behind our GMC AWD van, need more room for stuff !!!

brushogger

Explorer
I've been following this trailer since the original builder sold it. I've kicked myself ever since for not buying it.

Kabob1865

Choff

Waterboy222 put on a custom 3500 lb trailer axle with leaf spring perches welded on the top. I ordered new hubs and brakes from etrailer.com. They were an excellent resource with articles, videos and email support. I will measure the width of the axle this weekend and get back with you.

Kabob1865

Electrical

Next I tackled the electrical system. I rewired the trailer lights to a waterproof junction box with a 7-pin and a 4-pin plug. I wanted to be able to tow the trailer legally with any vehicle. Again etrailer.com was a great resource. I added a 12 volt deep cycle marine battery in the front compartment inside a "smart box". The smart box has a simple 3 light battery gauge, a 12 volt cigarette type socket and a dual USB outlet for cell phone charging on game day. The 7-pin plug has a 12 volt hot wire that charges the battery while in transport. I mounted a battery tender solar panel to the roof to charge the battery while parked. I mounted a Honda eu2000i to the front to run the satellite, tv, and tent lights for my tailgate. The generator gets left at home on overland treks because the solar panel does a great job quietly recharging during the day.

image.jpg

The battery compartment is a cluster, but I plan on getting an sPod SCS at the end of September.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears