Contemplating building my own camper

IHDiesel73L

Adventurer
So one of the reasons that I came to ExPo in the first place was my (and my family's) desire to roam. I'll be selling my regular cab F-350 in order to trade up to a crew cab when the time is right so that I can make room for the one on the way and the few more that will likely follow. The main thing that fueled my wanderlust in the beginning was, well, free fuel-in the form of vegetable oil that is. As has been discussed in various threads before I run my truck on vegetable oil and have been doing so for nearly three years and 100K miles now. I've been to the Allegheny Mountains, Downeast Maine, and many points in between with very little fuel cost. My wife and I want to gear up to take the little ones to see a lot of this great country and free fuel is crucial to that. The other crucial part is a place to sleep. Running on vegetable oil and camping in the truck will save us quite a bit of money over buying hundreds of gallons of diesel fuel and paying for a campground or a motel. Unfortunately, these two things (truck campers and auxiliary fuel tanks) don't play well together. Every camper I've found requires and empty bed, and there are no options (besides custom built) for an underbody vegetable oil fuel tank that I know of. I could probably have one fabricated for around $1000, but I have a perfectly good 60 gallon tank right now. Besides, I find that many of the campers I see have features that I don't see us wanting or needing. I'll run through my desired list of specifications:

-"Bumpout" for 19" H x 20" D fuel tank
-One queen and three single beds
-Air conditioning
-Toilet one of these would work
-"Stuff" storage
-Water storage
-Detachable awning, tarp, etc...

We are summer campers because my wife is a teacher so we can only take time to travel between late June and early September anyway. Even up in northern Maine we've done just fine with heavy sleeping bags at night. I don't see the need for any kind of kitchen really-we can cook outside over the fire or a campstove-if it rains we could put the awning up. As for showers I was thinking of permanently mounting a portable shower system like this one in some kind of locker on the exterior-that way you could simply open the door, turn on the shower, and go to it! Of course I'd have to come up with some kind of curtain too. Basically though, as long as we had a place to sleep, the ability to use the toilet and shower, and store our stuff, we'd have all of our needs met. Of course there would be lighting to wire for, some plumbing to be done, etc...but I think that could all be addressed with some creativity.

My first question is the shell. I see that some manufacturers use wood and some use aluminum. I don't have access to a welder that can handle aluminum, nor do I have the skill required, so I would go with wood. The frame is one thing-what about the skin? What is typically used for aluminum sided campers? Just aluminum siding attached directly to framing members or is there some type of sheathing involved? My concern is that while I could certainly build something that would be strong enough, it would likely be much too heavy. Also, could someone direct to a catalog or place on the net where you can buy specialty items like windows, jacks, 12V electrical supplies, etc...? I'm still very early in the planning stages on this and likely won't even start for quite a while, but I figure now is the time to do the research.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
This place is a bit hit and miss. Their inventory changes up pretty often:

http://www.rvsurplus.net/index.php

This guy has lots of stuff...:

http://www.rvdoctorgeorge.com/

...including "The Towering Pile of Poopers":

PileOpoopers.jpg

IHDiesel73L

Adventurer
...including "The Towering Pile of Poopers":

:xxrotflma I'll be sure to check that guy out!

Here's a thought-starting with a flatbed rather than a regular bed as a platform. This company is close by and I had thought about buying a flatbed from them for my current truck before I got bitten by the camper bug:

http://www.truckcraft.com/productDetail.asp?id=6&cID=

One of their 81" W x 96" long flats would make a nice platform for a custom built camper...

pods8

Explorer
If you're going to build a camper I'd say flatbed for sure (I'm leaning the same direction and moving along in my research/design phase for a camper build as well. I'd be doing foam core and fiberglass skin construction).

Parts are scattered all over the place. Some that I've been looking at in research phase:

http://www.adventurerv.net/

https://www.makariosrv.com/

http://www.rvpartsoutlet.com/

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv_parts_rv_accessories.htm

For windows, if you're flexible in sizing you can find factory seconds and such on ebay for decent prices verse custom ordering specific sizes.

IHDiesel73L

Adventurer
If you're going to build a camper I'd say flatbed for sure (I'm leaning the same direction and moving along in my research/design phase for a camper build as well. I'd be doing foam core and fiberglass skin construction).

Thanks for the parts suggestions-how about sources for foam core board? I googled and found a wide range of stuff-almost all of it very expensive :Wow1: One 4x8 sheet of a foam core fiberglass material was about $430!

pods8

Explorer
Thanks for the parts suggestions-how about sources for foam core board? I googled and found a wide range of stuff-almost all of it very expensive :Wow1: One 4x8 sheet of a foam core fiberglass material was about $430!

For my build I'd be making my own panels by laminating epoxy and fiberglass cloth over polystrene foam board. See here: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54664&page=5

The parts I made there were foamular 250 (which is 25psi compression strength) I can get at my local home depot. If I go forward with the build I'll be getting 2" thick foamular 600 (which is 60psi compression strength) from a local commercial building supplier. A 2" thick 2'x8' sheet is in the $15-17 range depending on if you're looking at the 250 or 600. Obviously a completed sheet needs to factor in epoxy and fiberglass costs as well. To make a 4x8 sheet with three layers of 8.9oz fiberglass on each side (which would be really robust) would probably cost about $170 (the insulation aspect is free :) ). However keep in mind this is for the completed part (well aside from primer/paint costs), you shape the foam which is cheaper to the sizes you need and then glass them which cuts down on waste verse buying standard sizes. I'm also speaking in regards to a frameless design but one could always affixed a panel like this to a frame if they so desired.

Last edited:

ki4iwd

Adventurer
glen-l has some camper plans but i have found many on the net for free. nida-core is great stuff but pricey. i am in the process of restoring a old mallard camper for my brother in law. it is on a 83 toyota 4x4 with dual tires on the rear. we are using 1/2" styrofoam between 1/8" luan plywood for the wall and roof. we used marine epoxy to coat the plywood and foam.makes a strong panel that can be cut to any shape. the outside is covered with metal siding. we removed and saved the outer skin and went to a local rv salvage yard and picked up some large panels from a wrecked camper to fill in the bad places.for the roof we are using some epdm rubber roofing from the same salvage yard. it is a new piece, and a 10'x24' piece was 400.00.so it is not cheap

IHDiesel73L

Adventurer
we are using 1/2" styrofoam between 1/8" luan plywood for the wall and roof. we used marine epoxy to coat the plywood and foam.makes a strong panel that can be cut to any shape.

Interesting idea for a low cost and strong panel. How did you affix the plywood to the styrofoam prior to coating everything with epoxy? I'm thinking that this approach might work really well over a steel skeleton.

pods8

Explorer
Interesting idea for a low cost and strong panel. How did you affix the plywood to the styrofoam prior to coating everything with epoxy? I'm thinking that this approach might work really well over a steel skeleton.

You'd need to epoxy them together as well.

pods8

Explorer
Oh sure, I'm just much more confident in my ability to work with marine epoxy and luaun plywood than fiberglass...lol

Yeah that is fine, I was just clarifying that you'd use epoxy to actually join the two together (which is what you asked) and not just for coating the outside of the luan.

However if you were going to be using the coated luan as your exterior a layer of fiberglass over it wouldn't be a bad idea from the standpoint of abbrasion resistance and to build a bit thicker epoxy layer to make sure the wood is well sealed from the elements. Plus you'd get the added strength. Glassing over top a wood panel would be very easy going.

tom

I chose aluminum framing to drop weight. Pop riveted framing with ell brackets. Check out Cruiser Fifth Wheel same idea but they use screws rather than pop rivets. For the out side skin I used standard .019 aluminum RV siding. Inside I used .014 aluminum. After completion I realized I could have used smaller framing losing even more weight. I way over built the framing. Right now I'm looking at sign board material as a skin. It's covered on one side with aluminum and the backer is some very hard composition and impervious to water. A 4 x8x1/8 in. panel weighs 18 lbs. Have not got a piece yet. The material is called D-Lite 3mm.

Hope this is some food for thought. Happy camping and have fun with your build.

Tom

ki4iwd

Adventurer
yes that is what we did we put the epoxy on the plywood to hold the foam sheet then repeated the process with the other sheet when the panel dried i coated the ends with the epoxy to seal the ends then coated the outside of each sheet to waterproof the panel. i believe fiberglass would make for a great exterior covering. we were using the orginal metal covering so i was not realy concerend with the exterior.the epoxy that i used was a 2 part by valspar made to put over foam floation in boats i cant remember the name but i will check this weekend and post it next week.it has worked well for what we have used it for. also i coated the cut ends before we installed it. pm me if you have any more questions

IHDiesel73L

Adventurer
yes that is what we did we put the epoxy on the plywood to hold the foam sheet then repeated the process with the other sheet when the panel dried i coated the ends with the epoxy to seal the ends then coated the outside of each sheet to waterproof the panel. i believe fiberglass would make for a great exterior covering. we were using the orginal metal covering so i was not realy concerend with the exterior.the epoxy that i used was a 2 part by valspar made to put over foam floation in boats i cant remember the name but i will check this weekend and post it next week.it has worked well for what we have used it for. also i coated the cut ends before we installed it. pm me if you have any more questions

I was thinking of using siding over the panels as well-call me crazy but I actually like the look. Do you have any pics you can post?

After completion I realized I could have used smaller framing losing even more weight. I way over built the framing.

That's my concern-I don't want to overbuild and have a excessively heavy camper, but I also don't want to have something that's not strong enough. One of my big concerns as far as strength is the framing for the cantilever over the cab for the double bed. If anyone has pics or plans of a good strong frame for that?

Right now I'm looking at sign board material as a skin. It's covered on one side with aluminum and the backer is some very hard composition and impervious to water. A 4 x8x1/8 in. panel weighs 18 lbs. Have not got a piece yet. The material is called D-Lite 3mm.

Interesting stuff-any idea on price?

Hope this is some food for thought. Happy camping and have fun with your build.

Tom[/QUOTE]

pods8

Explorer
That's my concern-I don't want to overbuild and have a excessively heavy camper, but I also don't want to have something that's not strong enough. One of my big concerns as far as strength is the framing for the cantilever over the cab for the double bed. If anyone has pics or plans of a good strong frame for that?

If you're doing luan plywood over a foam core and bond them well I think you'll be surprised at how sparse you can be with actually framing members. The cabover is entirely geometry driven, length and sidewall height being the main ones. Again though with the solid wall panel you'll have a lot going for you, in the side walls it'll act like the web of an I beam so then on the top/bottom of that section you just need the right amount of your chosen framing material to handle the tension (on the top) and compression (on the bottom). Since you're talking about steel it realistically won't take much. Again this assumes you solidly bond your wall panels and use them structurally (they need to tie into your framing solidly, not just be affixed to it).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior