Contemplating building my own camper

oneeyedjackass

HAHA! Thats good stuff. I'm sure no pleasure was derived in freeing up the contents of that box. ;)

No doubt about that! All joking aside, it's a great way to easily get an idea of space and line of sight. It all looks good on the flat, put it in 3d and things change. It's important in our build for us to have a real open feel to the interior. Still trying to decide if a double door might work to really open it up.

IHDiesel73L

Adventurer
No doubt about that! All joking aside, it's a great way to easily get an idea of space and line of sight. It all looks good on the flat, put it in 3d and things change. It's important in our build for us to have a real open feel to the interior. Still trying to decide if a double door might work to really open it up.

Love it-excellent idea!

pods8

Explorer

I've been designing mine in 3D cad to flush out a lot of things but over the weekend I very quickly taped the perimeter of the camper, benches, cabinets, etc. on the garage floor in masking tape. Then quickly made of spacial place holders out of cardboard, folding table, make a quick bench, etc. to really truly feel what I had drawn up in human scale. It was a helpful exercise.

oneeyedjackass

Agreed, once I decide on a design I will most likely mock it up fullsize. We're lucky because we can alway go in our lance and get a feel of some design elements. Still trying to decide crewcab (currently own) or supercab (would have to trade for). Not sure if i can get the CG far enough forward. Both are the same wheelbase.
thoughs?
http://one-eyed-**************.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/CinQPhoto.jpg
http://one-eyed-**************.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/CinQPhoto_2.jpg

justduck

Observer
Great idea. My Fuso build is finally getting to the place where I have to get serious about internal arrangement. However, I'll be forced to use a Mirror Pond box:beer:

rdraider

Adventurer
This is a fascinating thread. I'd like to try all these techniques, but due to $$$ and accessibility, will probably do a 1/8" ply or FRP/foam/1/8" panelling construction plan. I'm planning on using PL adhesive or sikaflex, and some of the water based FRP adhesive from Titebond. Its basically the same thing as the PL glues that are foam safe. I may also put 1/16" aluminum angle on the outside corners with adhesive and screws, to help aid in structural soundness.

DevilValley

Hi Everyone,

I would like to bring this tread up to the top. I am very interested in building my own camper. I will not be putting the camper on a pick-up truck. The truck that I have in mine is a class 7 or 8 semi. That is the reason for the custom build. More about that at a later date.

I would like to know how IHDiesel73L, pods8, and ki4iwd have made out in their builds. Has the panel construction that you choose worked out for you ? Would you do anything different ? More question will come later.

Right now I am looking for information before I would start a build of my own. I am trying to read the different threads here on the site. This looks like the right site to be at for help.

Please point me in the right direction.

jhrodd

Adventurer
Hi Everyone,

I would like to bring this tread up to the top. I am very interested in building my own camper. I will not be putting the camper on a pick-up truck. The truck that I have in mine is a class 7 or 8 semi. That is the reason for the custom build. More about that at a later date.

I would like to know how IHDiesel73L, pods8, and ki4iwd have made out in their builds. Has the panel construction that you choose worked out for you ? Would you do anything different ? More question will come later.

Right now I am looking for information before I would start a build of my own. I am trying to read the different threads here on the site. This looks like the right site to be at for help.

Please point me in the right direction.

Start here : http://www.truckconversion.net/forums/index.php

And I have a beautiful Freightliner Cascadia for sale that would make a great conversion. One non-smoking owner, DD15 engine, ultrashift, under 300K miles.

victoria038.jpg

DevilValley

jhrodd thanks for the link. That site could be a big help with the build if I do it. You have a nice looking truck there. My friend has a '98 Volvo VNL42 factory single with a 42" sleeper set-up to pull a 5th wheel trailer. His said that he would make me a heck of a deal. My long range plans are to have a 5th wheel trailer and put my Polaris RZR on the deck and see this country. But my short range plan is to put a small camper with the Rzr on the back of the truck and travel to the trail heads. This way I can get use to the truck before I plan on using a 5th wheel trailer. That is just some of my ideas.

Please keep the ideas coming,

DevilValley

DevilValley

Hi Everyone,

I was hoping to hear from IHDiesel73L on how is build went. I would also like to hear from ki4iwd on how his 1/8" luan plywood and styrofoam wall sections are working out. I think that pods8 is still working on his build. I was also hoping that pods8 would chime in. If there is anyone else building a light weight wall with insulation please chime in. I am open to all kinds of ideas.

Please keep the comments coming,

pods8

Explorer
On the foam core front: The panel construction is very time consuming to layout loose cloth, but it will be the lightest and allow the most flexibility on shape possibilities if that is a perk to you. Prefabbed panels or at least skins (so you only had the lamination of the skins to the foal to do) would be a MAJOR time saver and I would definitely advise taking it under consideration.

Yep I'm still slowly chipping away at it, the expanding family has drastically reduced my free time more than I could have every anticipated (I'm sure the folks ahead of me in age are getting a chuckle out of that one :p).

jhrodd

Adventurer
Hi Everyone,

I was hoping to hear from IHDiesel73L on how is build went. I would also like to hear from ki4iwd on how his 1/8" luan plywood and styrofoam wall sections are working out. I think that pods8 is still working on his build. I was also hoping that pods8 would chime in. If there is anyone else building a light weight wall with insulation please chime in. I am open to all kinds of ideas.

Please keep the comments coming,

If you are building on a class 8 chassis I would think your challenge might be to build your camper heavy enough to settle the suspension. You would have 25-30,000# to work with, not much need for light weight panels. I don't know what weight would be optimal but I'd guess maybe 8-10,000# . With 1650 ft.lb. of torque I can easily break my tires loose on dry pavement even with an empty (25,000#) trailer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior