Contemplating building my own camper

DevilValley

jhrodd,

Thanks for bring up the weight of the truck. The truck does have a nice looking deck with storage boxes under the deck. I have know idea what the deck weights. My plan is to use the truck for a couple of years before I get my 5th wheel. This build would be temporary for only a couple of years. The deck of the truck measures 102" wide x 120" long. The plan would be to have a camper that would be about 5'x8' or 6'x8' that would leave me about 5'x8' for my rzr on the back of the deck. It would be great to find a camper that I could put up on the deck of the truck.

Does anyone have an idea what kind of camper to put on the deck? Does anyone have pictures of class 7/8 truck with campers on there decks?

Kohburn

Adventurer
it already has a sleeper, so what do you plan to get out of the 6x8 foot space?

kitchen? dining? more beds? full shower? etc?

sounds like you mostly need a big box to bolt down with a door and a couple windows. then fill with stuff.

DevilValley

it already has a sleeper, so what do you plan to get out of the 6x8 foot space?

kitchen? dining? more beds? full shower? etc?

sounds like you mostly need a big box to bolt down with a door and a couple windows. then fill with stuff.

The truck does have a small sleeper but there is no bed. It has a bench seat in place of the bed. You are on the right idea about having a big box. Some place to go to to fix meals when the weather gets bad. This box is not going to be a permanent. Build a box on the deck and put a rubber roof on the box to make the roof weather proof. There is not going to be anything special about the box.

Last edited:

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Back to wood, the canti-levered rule is no more overhang than one third of the length of the beam.

Building light seems to me it would be better using 1X2 and 2x2s building your own I beam with 1/2 ply routered in 2x2s glued with the ply 6" to 8" high would hold a couple hefty folks. These beams would run the length of the build.

You might also consider steel studs and channel screwed together. I built a paint booth from steel studs and while they were rather unstable during the process, after they were all connected with stringers the entire box was very ridged. Add to that exterior ply and you'll have a stout box. If needed, horizontal, vertical or diaganol rods can be employed to shore up stress points, sheer and compression of the build. It also provides room for insulation and plumbing/electrical runs and standard boxes. Disadvantage, if it is, would be the wall thickness and trimming out windows inside, but that leaves room for inset blinds too. You may lose 4 3/8/ 4 1/2 inches inside staying within a 96 inch build. If you could find 2" channel you might be able to keep it at 2" turning the studs sideways. I'm not sure what the difference in weight would be to aluminum, the aluminum being thicker wall than the steel there may not be much difference. Just an idea....

MTDewX8

Observer
not sure if its been said already (sorry if its a repost)

for the VO you could get a dually flat bed. that gives you a place for your VO tank. or you can add an excurtion tank where the spare tires goes as I have see it done. then of course you have to find a place for the tire.

but the dually gives you great options for storage etc.

I owned a 00 F350 CC long bed with an in bed tank for VO and burned for three years. what savings. then I moved and sold the truck.

now I own a E350 and considering down the road. 7.3 is a great motor for converting to a Hybrid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior