Coolant Filters

naterry

13 Cheeseburgers
Thought I'd post this for anyone considering the effectiveness of these, especially on older vans.

This is from the first filter change out, which is supposed to be the dirtiest. Another thing I noticed after installing the filter was that the plaque on the inside of the overflow tank crumbled and disappeared. I used to have to jiggle the overflow tank to confirm the level, now it's like new, transparent.

Coolant%20Filter_zpsy8f6yhaj.jpg

4x4pair

Adventurer
Wow, that's crazy! I just put one on mine and can't wait to see what it looks like.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
I concur!
My 7.3 came with the antifreeze filter kit and it does work well. After 8 months my antifreeze came out perfectly clean and I promptly reused it!

Id strongly recommend every vehicle have one installed.

This pic is from 8 months ago when I did a complete coolant system flush and switched to Rotella ELC.

1676w4n.png

Last edited:

VOODOO7.3

Adventurer
Yup, they work! Oil coolers, water pumps, and thermostats last longer too without the casting sand and goop floating around in there. Here's where I put mine:
image.jpg

VOODOO7.3

Adventurer
Has anyone installed the international water pump ( 1831676c92 ) with the filter adapter cast into the pump on their 7.3l?

LTB, unfortunately, I don't think it is a direct bolt in for the vans. In a nutshell, that is due to the fact that the van belt, belt driven accessories, and fan are all different than the trucks. There is a port on the driver's side of your pump. I found that a 45* male pipe threaded to male 3/8" barbed fitting worked best for feed to filter housing.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
Voodoo7.3 can you tell me where to buy that bracket that holds your filter setup?
Mine was previously installed like crap and your bracket would be a HUGE improvement.
Thanks!

VOODOO7.3

Adventurer
Voodoo7.3 can you tell me where to buy that bracket that holds your filter setup?
Mine was previously installed like crap and your bracket would be a HUGE improvement.
Thanks!
Thanks Man! I made that one. Fortunately, I also saved the pattern! Since you and djbonsu replied to my coolant filter thread with helpful info, before I made it, and I don't forget helpful friends, and Christmas is around the corner, I might just have to make good use of some metal around here and hook you two up! Cheers!

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
Holy cow that's a lot of gunk! I just cut open the last filter I changed out and it's still hospital clean after 10k miles - guess the guys did a real good job on the flush when I dropped it off for bulletproofing work.

naterry

13 Cheeseburgers
If you relocate the driver's side battery there is ample room. I understand this doesn't apply to everybody, but with the battery gone a ~4" length of standard 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" angle metal works fine. This location is also good for it's proximity to the overflow tank.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger