Cruiser Therapy: LaOutbackTrail's FJ62 Landcruiser

Expedition Leader
Bummer Scott! Have you looked on Mud for any other 3FE heads? Not sure what I would do in your case.

The Toyota v8 is attractive, but installation would be more difficult. The GM powerplants are more common and have aftermarket backing when it comes to adapters. Trust me I've contemplated most of the potential conversions.

What I like about the 3FE is its easy of maintenance and easy to work on. If I can just find a good head.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
The Toyota v8 is attractive, but installation would be more difficult. The GM powerplants are more common and have aftermarket backing when it comes to adapters. Trust me I've contemplated most of the potential conversions.

What I like about the 3FE is its easy of maintenance and easy to work on. If I can just find a good head.

I think if you have a good 3F and can use it by all means do it. But I wouldn't spend much money on the engine. Unless you want a restored truck, to me it just isn't worth the effort or dollars to put into a 3F. It is simple and easy to work on and fairly reliable but it is also a total dog, pretty poor mileage and parts more expensive than say a 5.3.

Cheers

Yep. A gasket kit, new water pump and headwork is less than $500... I wasn't wanting to spend much more than that to have a running truck. I'm ok with the expense of the transmission conversion, that's an investment.

Ian, I shot you a message on facebook about the 3fe head you have.

EOE4x4

Observer

I like the 4.7 in my tundra and would have loved it in my 62. But mucho dinero! When I picked up my cruiser after the vortec swap at iron pig in VA, there was a Lexus 4.7 mated to an H55. It was one of those double-take moments: was walking thru the shop to my truck, stopped, and backed up 10 feet. I said, "is that what I think it is?" They said someone that is high up in Lexus in the NVa/DC area wanted the swap in his 40. So he was paying an Aussie shop for a custom adapter. The word was that he was hoping to have it produced on a larger scale after completion. I am not excited about having a Cheby motor in my Toy, but $4$ it's worth it. The 4.7 swap is full custom, labor intensive, and there's not much help available if you have questions.

I like my vortec- double the power, a whole lot lighter, and much better mileage. But a crate motor is expensive and using a salvage motor (from my research) requires a good bit of tinkering to work out all the sensors and electronics.

If you have more issues with your motor, I still have a 3FE (a440 and tcase still attached) and a 2F in the yard that I'd love to get rid of. Someone was interested, but I think he is in MT and having trouble with transport. If youre interested, (I'll check with him first to be sure) but you can have them. Then it's cost of transport or hook up with someone on MUDship, that's it. I'd like to get them out of the yard before hurricane season and you're someone that will put them to work :). Got two H42s as well.
PM me on mud if you're interested.

Keep up the good work!

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
I like my vortec- double the power, a whole lot lighter, and much better mileage. But a crate motor is expensive and using a salvage motor (from my research) requires a good bit of tinkering to work out all the sensors and electronics.

Keep up the good work!

Not really. There is a guy who is selling 4.8, 5.3 & 6.0 v8s with a 3-wire hook up. That is right, 3-wires to hook it up and make it run in whatever truck you want or have. These are used motors and at a good price too. All crate motors are pretty expensive.

The 4.7 is a good motor but I see no reason to mess with it when the Chevy v8s are super good too. I got a LQ4 6.0 in my 01 2500HD. 170,000 on it (I bought it new) and it has no engine problems whatsoever, no trans problems either. I have towed 12,000lbs with it and towed trucks all over the country with it. So in my mind anybody who says the Chevy v8s are no good just doesn't know what they are talking about.

Cheers

EOE4x4

Observer
Not really. There is a guy who is selling 4.8, 5.3 & 6.0 v8s with a 3-wire hook up. That is right, 3-wires to hook it up and make it run in whatever truck you want or have. These are used motors and at a good price too. All crate motors are pretty expensive.

Cheers

Who is selling these, kits I suppose? They make up their own harnesses to convert to the 3wire hookup?

Who is selling these, kits I suppose? They make up their own harnesses to convert to the 3wire hookup?

There is a guy on Mud that sells that kit. A 4.8 goes for about $2200.

I'm waiting to hear back from Ian (RMP&O) about the head he has... but I may take you up on that offer. All I need is the head to get forward progress going again! Thanks guys.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
There is a guy on Mud that sells that kit. A 4.8 goes for about $2200.

I'm waiting to hear back from Ian (RMP&O) about the head he has... but I may take you up on that offer. All I need is the head to get forward progress going again! Thanks guys.

I didn't know you needed me to check it out! I will msg you on FB.

Cheers

BTW, I am a touch hesitant to give out the dudes name and info for the v8s. Reason being is they are in limited supply and I may want one! Ha! Just search Pirate4x4 for turn key v8s. ;)

EOE4x4

Observer

No problem, just let me know. If you do, pm me on mud as when I get real busy with work I don't check here much.

preacherman

Explorer
Cheers

The electrical is a three wire hookup. You still have to work out the fuel system, cooling, re-flash the computer,etc. It's not rocket science but it is more than three wires.

From that source, the computer is tuned and ready to go. His point is that you don't need to splice into the Toyota harness or any of that nonsense.

mapper

Explorer
Quick question. Since you currently have the 60 series and a Gen 2 Montero how would you compare the size of the cargo areas? With back seats removed, not just folded. Is the 62 significantly bigger or comparable?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears