Custom permanent water storage?

xpdishn

Adventurer
We have just returned from 8 days in Utah and this trip clearly defined several issues that I need to address. When time permits we like to be out that long or longer. On this trip we used 20+ gallons of water and containers are a PITA. We don't have to refuel in that time and we don't want to re-water in that time either. I have done what I thought was an extensive search and have come up with nothing.

A (semi) permanent water storage solution is a must. An in-line 12volt pump and spigot is also on the list. I would think the latter two would be the easier part of this install. (Hopeful thinking) On to details.

I have a '07 FJC. I have taken the rear seats out and have installed a storage platform in their place. The dogs lay/sleep on it, very handy. The front of the storage unit is directly behind the front seats and have room for a custom water storage unit. It could be either a bladder type or hard shell. Plastic would be preferable due to weight, I will be building a protective box around either. I can use the full width of the rig but there is a hump in the middle that would prevent uptake of the water when the level got too low. Trying to figure that out also. As that part of the floor gets pretty hot, I will be insulating the unit from the heat.

The pros for this install are:
1. The elimination of several containers that take up valuable space in the cab where space is a premium.
2. It would move the considerable weight down and to the middle of the vehicle where it belongs.
3. It would be extremely handy and convenient.

So the question goes out: Has anyone installed something like this and where did you source your storage unit? Pros/cons? As the space is irregular in shape I am fully aware that a true custom design is in order.

I have found All-Right Holding Tanks web site, but any further help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Gary

TheStig

Observer
You may try a marine shop too. Fresh water storage is a common installation in boats.

Sent from my MB200 using Tapatalk

xpdishn

Adventurer
what are the exact dimensions you need, a search on ebay or google shopping for "fresh water tank" or "plastic fresh water tank" or "rv fresh water tank" yields tons of results, but i guess finding just the right dimension tank is your issue?

something like one of these perhaps, or 2 smaller of them to sit on each side of your "hump" area and connect them?
http://www.jamestowndistributors.co...Name=Vetus+Rigid+Plastic+Drinking+Water+Tanks

Just went to Jamestown and a great start. THANKS I'm really a klutz when searching on google. I thought I had exhausted my search paramenters, but not even close.

Thanks both of you.

SilverBullet

Explorer
I have not done this, but something to consider to save water is some sort of aeriator filter on the tap. That is a main reason they have those on homes, to help save water, so it might work in this application if you can find a small version.

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Love having fun 😊 in the 🌞 by the ⛵ and the ⏳
Remeber Gary you have only touched on the pros and what about the cons.

• What about access for filling?
  • What about access for draining?
  • what about space?
  • What about weight?

Hence why not think of a duel jerry can holder. Can hold 10 gallons of water or even and extra fuel can when necessary? I survive on 5 gallons for quite awhile, even with two dogs and all the extra remeasurement perhaps 10 is enough? You are not the first to go this route or this requirement? :costumed-smiley-007

theksmith

Explorer
Remeber Gary you have only touched on the pros and what about the cons.

• What about access for filling?
  • What about access for draining?
  • what about space?
  • What about weight?

Hence why not think of a duel jerry can holder. Can hold 10 gallons of water or even and extra fuel can when necessary? I survive on 5 gallons for quite awhile, even with two dogs and all the extra remeasurement perhaps 10 is enough? You are not the first to go this route or this requirement? :costumed-smiley-007

i had thought about doing this too, but never really got past a little searching myself... my main worries were filling/draining without a mess since i wanted a removable option - not a permanent install.

sounds like the OP already has a good wasted space picked out for it and as far as weight, he's moving the same weight as would be in the jerry cans down to a lower spot, so that's a good thing. he'll just need to figure out the filling/draining/cleaning and pump/spigot stuff - nothing a hole saw can't solve!

AFSOC

Explorer
A (semi) permanent water storage solution is a must.

Have you checked the Equipt website? Paul offers two storage solutions that really intrigue me. At the moment, I lug jugs but one day may get a footwell tank or the 13 gal tank.

java

Expedition Leader
i dont remember the brand name, i think it was longranger, but they made one that went in the back foot wells, went over the trans hump with a spigot on either side to drain from, and was approx 20 gals.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
they are cheap for the size, pretty sure one of the flat based ones would sit above the transmission tunnel across the vehicle, might mean you have to raise the sleeping platform though.

Or you get two smaller tanks 1 to fit each side of the foot well.

Having two water supplies means you can easily gauge how much your using !

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Now that I have my rear bench seat/bed mounted in my van, I too have been eyeballing the plastic-mart tanks trying to figure out which one to squeeze under there.

I'm going under-bench as opposed to under-van for a lot of reasons, but the big ones are that it will be easier to center and secure (since its a half-unibody van with a crowded underbelly) and I won't have to worry as much about freezing...

I'm trying to figure out how big of a problem (if at all) that sloshing is likely to be if I get a really wide tank. The temptation is to maximize the volume and get a tank like 44"x26"x6" which would get me 24 gallons. The low 6" height should help minimize the slosh, but at half full, that's still almost 100lbs that could be moving back and forth over a pretty wide span of the van....

That front-runner floorboard tank is pretty fancy, but at only 10.5 gallons, I'm sort of thinking I'd prefer a couple of cheap plastic jerries stuck someplace semi-convenient.
I think the Sportsmobile tanks are in that same 20-24gal volume range I'm looking at, (but they're a bigger/heavier van, obviously) - What volumes are other people using?

Errant

Explorer
I'm trying to figure out how big of a problem (if at all) that sloshing is likely to be if I get a really wide tank.

Find a tank that is baffled. I'm going to install an 18gal Valterra tank on the a-frame of my M100. It's only 36" but still has one baffle in it. Valterra puts them every 18", I'm not sure about other brands.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior