Custom permanent water storage?

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Find a tank that is baffled. I'm going to install an 18gal Valterra tank on the a-frame of my M100. It's only 36" but still has one baffle in it. Valterra puts them every 18", I'm not sure about other brands.

That's what I was looking into. Plastic-Mart apparently doesn't offer baffled tanks. That Valterra looks nice but may not fit under my bench, since the min. height is 8".

I'll keep looking...

Adventure Trailers has a great selection of plastic tanks. On the website they only list the 19 gallon tank they use on trailers, but if you contact Mario or Martyn they have a very large selection of sizes available. Not sure if it is what you are looking for, but they should have one that meets your criteria.
watertank1.jpg

jesusgatos

Explorer
If you want to build anything custom, you're going to need to reduce turn those irregular shapes into more 'regular' shapes. Cardboard templates work great for this kind of stuff. Figure out what kind of shape and volume is going to work best for you, and then contact any of the numerous companies that make custom molded water tanks. If you can reduce the tank to geometry that you can communicate to them, they'll be able to build exactly what you want.

The other option might be to use the floorpan as sort of a mold. Lay-in fiberglass and build an enclosure. Then have it lined or have a custom bladder made for it. That would be pretty slick when it was all said and done.

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
With a bit of practice at hot air welding it is not difficult to make your own tanks from MDPE sheet. Any size or shape, with baffles, inlets, outlets, whatever you want, wherever you want.

Cheers,
Peter

Robert Bills

Explorer
Ronco Plastics in Tustin CA has a large selection of poly tanks, including RV and Marine. www.ronco-plastics.com.

I have a Ronco 14 gal. tank in my trailer (#RV37). When searching sources for tanks, I noticed that several Internet retailers of poly water tanks are dealers for Ronco, many using the same stock numbers.

Last edited:

xpdishn

Adventurer
With a bit of practice at hot air welding it is not difficult to make your own tanks from MDPE sheet. Any size or shape, with baffles, inlets, outlets, whatever you want, wherever you want.

Cheers,
Peter

This sounds VERY interesting and have contacted a company for more info. This would allow me to build exactly what I need.

Gary

I too have an 07 FJC and I don't feel that there's enough room in place of the rear seat area to use for water storage - not withstanding the fact that this area described is about the hardest access area in the vehicle.
That said, the location does keep the mass centered and low in the vehicle which is good for vehicle dynamics.

I use 8 WEDCO water cans (pre-ban) along with a RULE 12vdc pump that fits inside the mouth of the water containers (mounted in my trailer). Not especially convenient until you run dry and need to fill your tank from a river or stream let's say. Another consideration which swayed my decision is the fact that water is heavy and if you purchase a large container (20-30 gals) that doesn't have any baffling, the water can move around enough to perhaps make driving over the really rough stuff uncomfortable and perhaps unsafe if the mass load shifts the wrong way at the wrong time (think off-camber switchback turn and you're hanging by a couple of tire tread lugs only).

In your case there probably wouldn't be enough mass inertia to create problems - just the slosh, slosh of the water as you drive offroad.

Post up pics when you do your mod.

Good Luck!

xpdishn

Adventurer
I too have an 07 FJC and I don't feel that there's enough room in place of the rear seat area to use for water storage - not withstanding the fact that this area described is about the hardest access area in the vehicle.
That said, the location does keep the mass centered and low in the vehicle which is good for vehicle dynamics.

I use 8 WEDCO water cans (pre-ban) along with a RULE 12vdc pump that fits inside the mouth of the water containers (mounted in my trailer). Not especially convenient until you run dry and need to fill your tank from a river or stream let's say. Another consideration which swayed my decision is the fact that water is heavy and if you purchase a large container (20-30 gals) that doesn't have any baffling, the water can move around enough to perhaps make driving over the really rough stuff uncomfortable and perhaps unsafe if the mass load shifts the wrong way at the wrong time (think off-camber switchback turn and you're hanging by a couple of tire tread lugs only).

In your case there probably wouldn't be enough mass inertia to create problems - just the slosh, slosh of the water as you drive offroad.

Post up pics when you do your mod.

Good Luck!

I have had the rear seat combo out of the rig for quite some time and my measurements show that there is plenty of room for 15/20 gallons. The access is directly behind the front seats so when you open the clamsheell door, there is the tank (though hidden). All along, the tank I either buy or make will have baffles. One has to do any project right or as near a right as the noggin can make it or don't do it at all. There will be a means for filling, emptying, flushing and a quick means to remove the tank from the rig when I require the back seats.

I will post pics when I do the install.

gfiero

Adventurer
ATV Tank

I recently purchased a 10 gal ATV tank with 12vdc pump installed and a 15ft hose for less than $90's.

Worth looking at.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan