Custom permanent water storage?

I really like the frontrunner tank. That is a great palce to put the weight low and centered. It would actually fit in the Forester but the center console is in the way. We store our jugs in the same spot but it would be nice to have a flat spot to sit stuff on

My only concern is refilling stationary tanks on the road. Do you bring a hose and hope for a threaded sphigot? Out here water is sometimes scarce and you can't always drive up to the tap.

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
Hot air welding

Oh yeah? Tell us more about that. I'm (very) interested.
Medium or high density polyethylene sheet or polypropylene sheet is typically used. It is easily cut with a jig saw, can be heated and folded and is easily hot air welded.
A company in Oz called Atlas Tanks custom makes them (I have seen up to 1,000 litres). http://www.atlastanks.com.au/tanktypes.html
But you can do it yourself using a hot air welding gun and some practice.
The same technique can be used for diesel.

I made diesel and water tanks for the OKA, but I wanted 4 similar tanks so I made steel sheet moulds and then had them roto-moulded from MDPE. There is a pic on the "Conversion" slide show in the link below. Threaded fittings are spun welded or hot air welded into place.

Cheers,
Peter

Last edited:

jesusgatos

Explorer
Thanks for the info. With as many tanks as I need for Mah Deuce, it looks like I might be able to buy the plastic welding equipment and build exactly what I want/need for about as much as I would spend on pre-fab tanks. Going to look into this a bit further. Thanks again.

xpdishn

Adventurer
Thanks for the info. With as many tanks as I need for Mah Deuce, it looks like I might be able to buy the plastic welding equipment and build exactly what I want/need for about as much as I would spend on pre-fab tanks. Going to look into this a bit further. Thanks again.

X2. The custom tank I have in mind would cost a fortune to have someone else make it. I don't know if you're in the US or not but here is contact info for us on the west coast:

Ernie Alcorn
Assembly Supplies Company
1250 Pacific Oaks Place, Suite #104
Escondido, CA. 92029

Telephone 800-694-1472
Direct Telephone 805-964-1097
Fax 888-694-4275

He was very pleasant to talk to and within 1/2 hour I had 3 different PDF's with tons of info.
As I have been a welder in my past life, I think I am going to order the parts and supplies and DIM (do it myself).

Gary

BTW: thanks Peter for the heads up on this topic.

jesusgatos

Explorer
Yeah, I'm in CA right now. Would you mind sharing those PDF's with us? Would also be interested in knowing what equipment you plan on purchasing.

xpdishn

Adventurer
Yeah, I'm in CA right now. Would you mind sharing those PDF's with us? Would also be interested in knowing what equipment you plan on purchasing.

Here they are:

All 3 are too big to attach. PM me your e-mail address and I can forward his e-mail to me.

Gary

WASURF63

Adventurer
I recently purchased a 10 gal ATV tank with 12vdc pump installed and a 15ft hose for less than $90's.

Worth looking at.

gfiero,

I think this might be what you're talking about?
I thought I should post this in this section as well. It's cost effective, easy to install, and very useful. Hope this is helpful to some folks.
If I had the cash, I would get one of the custom water systems that AT offers.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=715141&postcount=106

xpdishn

Adventurer
As an update, I am in the middle of building a one-of-a-kind custom water storage tank that will include a 12v pump and some kind of spigot in the rear for water access. Also included will be an on-board hot water system.
It will be located just behind the front seats and should hold about 20 gallons. I have completely removed the rear seats and I have a storage box in the space now.

I have purchased a hot air welder and accessories with sheet plastic and tomorrow I will be cutting the first pieces after fabbing cardboard templetes. Really looking forward to the actual welding of the box.

Will update when substantial progress has been made.

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
Nice Xpdishn! I'm subscribing to see how this goes! Make sure you make the same mistakes I would so you can document the fixes and save me a bunch of trouble... Please!:sombrero:

xpdishn

Adventurer
Nice Xpdishn! I'm subscribing to see how this goes! Make sure you make the same mistakes I would so you can document the fixes and save me a bunch of trouble... Please!:sombrero:

Minor mistakes are in the books and I haven't even started welding. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan