Diesel Comanche build

blakeape

Adventurer
Very cool! I am over in Columbia Falls MT and dreaming of a diesel swap into a 1990 Toyota pick up I have. I am very excited to hear what you think once its all put together and driving. Someday I'd love to check it out in person. Great job and can't wait to hear what you think of the finished project.

Gaucho919

Adventurer
Thank you, all in all I think it was easy and straightforward. I will definitely be doing more of them. What has made this particular Comanche so time consuming is the fact that we swapped the drivetrain, lifted it, and are fabbing a flatbed for it all at once. It has 33x10.50 BFG A/T's on it with 4.10:1 gears in the diffs and the AX-15. Hoping to break 25 mpg. Been trying to figure out the best place for the spare tire mount and a canvas top for it.

DSC_0185.jpg

DSC_0187.jpg

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
idea??

I'm looking forward to seeing your impressions on this for drivability etc as well. :)
What if you recessed the spare into the bed?? Here is a super quick idea (excuse my computer lacking skills)

Attachments

• flatbed.jpg
    flatbed.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 19

Gaucho919

Adventurer
I don't have enough room between the top surface and the frame for that unfortunately. I can't put it in the stock location either bc we'll be adding a cherokee tank back there for 20 gals of extra fuel. 44 gallons of diesel fuel and 25 mpg makes an 1100 mile range, will make a great truck for exploring backcountry. The flatbed has a 23" section of diamond plate on each side running the length of the bed and in the center section we're doing wooden 2x6's.

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
I wonder if you could do something like JScherb did on his Gaucho truck... Let me see if I can find a pic or linky...

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
I wonder if you could make a headache rack behind the cab, then use that to make a rack over the roof to mount a spare and maybe a fuel\water can or two.

bobDog

Expedition Leader
I wonder if you could make a headache rack behind the cab, then use that to make a rack over the roof to mount a spare and maybe a fuel\water can or two.
How about an RTT and some H2O.....after all 1100 mile range is more than almost anyone dreams of......until they fill up and say 'how much did you say that was????!!!!'. :coffeedrink: ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.

Gaucho919

Adventurer
Yeah 44 gallons of diesel fuel ain't cheap haha. Definitely won't need any fuel cans. The spare tank will be there mainly because I have 3 parts Cherokees so the tank is free and I happen to have one factory XJ steel gas tank skid plate left. We will be adding a headache rack to it, some toolboxes under the bed right behind the cab and we are looking at ideas for a canvas top.
Here's is how it is looking so far.

DSC_0207.jpg

DSC_0208.jpg

DSC_0209.jpg

Gaucho919

Adventurer
Jeepdreamer thanks for the pics, I have similar ideas in mind.
KC I'm thinking of a roof rack but I might have it mounted on the gutters since I'd like a canvas top on it, and Bob RTT would be nice but I can't justify the prices on them. I'd rather sleep in the bed, it's a 6' wide by 7'4" long bed, so plenty of room to even set up a cot in there.

blakeape

Adventurer
Man I am liking where this is going. I have a 1997 Cummins that I just built a flatbed for last June and converted to run on WVO with a 2 tanks system. You are going to love the flatbed they are so handy. The only thing I miss is the ability to run a topper every now and then, but I'll address it down the road and it sounds like you have it covered with the canvas idea. With you now having 2 tanks and the Merc Diesel I'd consider WVO as a viable option, I assure you it works. If you want to discuss it at all PM me a phone # and I share what I have learned with you. Awesome project and my 1990 Toyota might have to steal some ideas someday! IMG_0551.jpg

jjdieselman

i had bought a 4bt cummins 4 cylinder diesel for my cherokee. the only problem i have is finding a tranny adapter that will bolt up. i can get a 5.9 cummines one but it i dont want to pay 900 bucks for the adapter plate. nice idea with the bens diesel. nice to see something different for once from other people. its likes seeing a chevy 350 small block in a ford t bucket hot rod. gets real old. i give you lots of props Gaucho919 for going that route. too bad you could not get your hands on a mexico jeep mj that aleardy has the odd ball diesel motor in it. good luck and ill answer any question on that little motor since i got a diesel tech sert for those things. great motors.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
Man I am liking where this is going. I have a 1997 Cummins that I just built a flatbed for last June and converted to run on WVO with a 2 tanks system. You are going to love the flatbed they are so handy. The only thing I miss is the ability to run a topper every now and then, but I'll address it down the road and it sounds like you have it covered with the canvas idea. With you now having 2 tanks and the Merc Diesel I'd consider WVO as a viable option, I assure you it works. If you want to discuss it at all PM me a phone # and I share what I have learned with you. Awesome project and my 1990 Toyota might have to steal some ideas someday! View attachment 139332

This is exactly what I'm thinking for your roof rack to hold the spare.

And I second that a flat bed is niiiice. Whether is loading up elk or ATVs and snowmobiles or even going to the garbage dump, I wish I had one on my truck. I dream of a Ute bed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12