Diesel VS. Gas

bfdiesel

Explorer
Not saying that a gas engine isn't a good option here, just pointing out that the op isn't looking to buy a new diesel and store it.

Some of the diesel engines made in the last 10-15 years are very "unflimsy".

So the p pump cummins. Once you go into computer controled injectors and pumps, I would throw in the "flimsy" flag as that is when any repair starts to go through the roof cost wise even if the truck is not mechanically "flimsy" your wallet becomes "flimsy" evertime something needs repaired. Esspecially if it is the injectors that are electronic.
The cummins 59 block is flimsy, powerstrokes have HEUI, 6.5l are not in the same ballpark and are plagued with PMD failures, LB7 Duramax's eat injectors like candy. That is just the older line up the newer they get the more reasons they will just shutdown due to emmisions equipment problems and the fuel economy has gone down and new cost is outragouse.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I agree with all of the above. Todays diesel engines have a hundred new ways to leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere.

Meanwhile the gas engines are better than ever, and bridging the gap.

Only go after the diesels if you absolutely have to. Avoid them. The cost of fuel is nothing compared to the current cost of repairs and maintenance. We haven't come out ahead cost wise on any fleet diesel in many years, so those are in F350 DRW, F450 or bigger only. All SRW's get gas engines.

fisher205

Explorer
Prolonged storage was a bad description. But I'm almost embarrassed to confess, I don't really need this pulling/camping vehicle until I decide to head west to Colorado with my toy-hauler. Iowa is boring. Maybe I might do two trips in one year or fart around with it on a few weekends. But I ride the bus to work and I'm a major home body. When I do get out its maybe 20 miles at the most.

Id start the engine once a month or just take it instead of the Camry but it would definitely not be a daily driver but prolonged storage was a bad choice of words.

You may be better off just renting a truck. It doen't sound like you use it enough to justify owning one.

rebar

Adventurer
You may be better off just renting a truck. It doen't sound like you use it enough to justify owning one.
I looked into that but the prices were outrageous. From memory, the outfit I contacted in Colorado wanted over $1200 for 7 days.. Especially since I have a truck which will do the job , slowly. Can you rent 4x4 vans anywhere?

Montereyman

Diesel provides greater torque and delivers it at less than half the RPM's of most gas engines which makes them ideal for heavy hauling or towing. They also provide more miles per gallon and than means more range with an given size fuel tank.

The downside is that the cost of the engines, cost for maintenance and repairs, and cost for diesel fuel is much greater than for gas engines. A fuel injector replacement costs $4-5k on an average V-8 diesel. For that you could do an entire engine rebuild on a gas engine. On a dollars per mile driven a diesel truck is going to cost nearly double that of a gas truck over its life.

The gain in fuel range is also something of a requirement when diesel is sold in only 20% of the "gas" stations around the USA at this time. I have a 3/4 ton diesel truck and when traveling in the backcountry I need to have enough fuel in reserve not to get to the next town but the next town with a station selling diesel and that station needs to be open when I get there. I have a 36 gallon tank but I am planning on spending $1200 to replace it with a 52 gallon tank for this very reason.

For trail and off-road use if I have a 4 speed transmission and a dual range gear box and transfer case I am set regardless of the engine in the vehicle. It is more about proper technique than pure horsepower and torque.

Diesel engines tend to weigh more. The diesel engine in my truck adds 800 lbs. and it is all carried by the front suspension. Most people appreciate that more weight is not good for off road use as it adds more stress to suspension components and the rims and tires. It also cuts into the available payload of the vehicle.

The military is off doing its thing and actually what the special forces have requested (and been ignored) are hybrid vehicles as a gas/battery hybrid will provide both greater range and greater stealth. I guess not enough profit in these for the military contractors who run the DOD.

The trick with a gas powered 4WD vehicle is not to screw up the gearing with giant tires and then expect it to perform well for rock crawling. A 4.10 or lower rear end gearing with stock diameter tires while not sexy will get you more places.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears