Electric Chain Saw

kmacafee

Adventurer
I’m in the market for a small electric chainsaw to carry with me on the trail. I did a search on the forums but only found references to their use and practicality.

Can anyone recommend a brand they’ve found particularly good? I use and carry Ridgid tools and checked out their 12 inch electric chainsaw. It gets great reviews and uses the same batteries but it’s quite large and I’m not sure where I’d carry it.

Any suggestions for something smaller and storage ideas would be much appreciated. For reference, my rig is a Ram 3500 and a Bundutec camper on a flatbed.

Cheers

carleton

Chainsaws usually have an inherent length due to their (2) handed operation.
I've got a Stihl MS250 with a 16" bar, and a Kobalt Electric with a 12" bar, and while the Kobalt is lighter, the length of the body is almost the same, and most of the "savings" in length is made up by the bar only.

Mikita has a top-handle saw. Since the handle is on top instead of at the back, it is significantly more compact. This style is more common for Arborists.....but it does give a decent chainsaw in a small package.
Amazon

VanWaLife

Stihl and Milwaukee and probably a bunch of other manufacturers make small pruning chainsaws (4"-8"), but if it were me I'd be hesitant to buy outside a brand I already have batteries for. I've got Milwaukee stuff including their 16" chainsaw, which I like a lot, and my move is to bring a sawzall with a bunch of 12" pruning blades unless I really expect to be logging, in which case I bring the chainsaw.

19mystic96

I've got a Milwaukee chainsaw (16" I think?) and it's great for everything I need it for. The 12ah battery lasts a while and I got it on sale with a leaf blower for a super steal. If you're patient you can find them for a good price.

Another reason I went with it was I already had a bunch of other Milwaukee batteries since I use a lot of their tools at work and around the house. I can't stand having a bunch of different brand chargers and batteries to use/find.

Reactions: J!m

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Another Milwaukee saw here as well, 16", I have a couple gas saws and I'm liking the electric over the others, light weight, easy to use and so far haven't run out of battery.
Granted, I have light cutting jobs, I'm not clearing a forest.

86scotty

Cynic
I have the Makita 10" top handle arborist saw. For a battery saw I love it but if you frequently work with gas saws you won't work for long at home without going for a more powerful saw. I had the Lowe's one before and it was actually quite good but much bigger. The Makita is the smallest form factor battery saw I've seen and runs on smaller more common 18v batteries which is a plus.

I have several saws and cut wood a few times a year for our woodstove. Compared to my Stihl (gas) arborist saw these little things have a long way to go but they are quiet (great around camp) and small (great for an overland vehicle).

My next battery saw will likely be a Husqvarna but the Makita was a value I couldn't beat. I bought it 'tool only' on Ebay and added two Amazon knock-off batteries and charger. I have very little in it for what it is.

Beardy

I have a Makita 2x18v saw and love it . I also have two larger Stihl petrol saws for bigger jobs but the Makita is still a fine saw and would buy again without hesitation

J!m

I was just thinking about this…

Every so often I tell myself I “need” a saw for fallen trees etc. then I imagine the aroma of pre-mix to compliment the hypoid and single malt currently dominating the defender interior…

So, being a Milwaukee fan boy, I thought I’d look into that. I may SMDs but I think the 16” version is new this year? Only 14” available out there now I believe.

19mystic96

I was just thinking about this…

Every so often I tell myself I “need” a saw for fallen trees etc. then I imagine the aroma of pre-mix to compliment the hypoid and single malt currently dominating the defender interior…

So, being a Milwaukee fan boy, I thought I’d look into that. I may SMDs but I think the 16” version is new this year? Only 14” available out there now I believe.

You made me question the one I have, so I ran out to the garage to look at it. I do have a 16" Milwaukee chainsaw. Also made me scroll back in my purchase history and I bought mine in October of 2020. It was part of a combo deal with a battery, rapid charger and a new large Leaf blower.

Reactions: J!m

Alloy

My collecion consist of a Silky 650 & 1000, 20" Stilh 260, 28" Husquvarna 592

I highly recommend an EGO. For my dirt bike I started with the EGO 16". After the first ride I went back and bought a EGO 18" with an additional 5Ah battery. One day I cleared 6 x 10-15" trees and 3 x 30-40" trees using both 5Ah batteries.

kmacafee

Adventurer
I went out and tested my HF Sawzall yesterday on some brush and small trees in my yard. I bought some 10" wood specific blades and the saw cut through 6-8" diameter logs like butter. After almost an hour, it still showed 2 out of 3 battery status lights. What I really liked was it's weight and the ability to use it one handed.

It doesn't replace a chain saw entirely but for smaller brush, it does the job for sure.

Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior