Electric Chain Saw

Shawn686

Observer
I also just carry my recip saw with a 12 inch pruning/wood blade. I thought you were set on a chain saw or I would have suggested it lol

Shawn

kmacafee

Adventurer
I also just carry my recip saw with a 12 inch pruning/wood blade. I thought you were set on a chain saw or I would have suggested it lol

Shawn
I know it looked that way. After looking at the chainsaw options, they all fell into a size range that would have been challenging to carry in my rig. With decent blades, the little HF saw will handle what I need 75% of the time...

Chris Boyd

Explorer
I run the small dewalt, as it uses the Xr 20v batteries and I found an adapter that can charge them via USB-C sources up to 100w. So they charge from my solar or while driving.

it’s one less thing to carry fuel and oil mix. Agree they leak bar oil, but I got a nice bag from the fellas in Canada and it’s all contained for no mess.

Bonus is the dewalt USB charger reverses and change charge a phone on output in the case you need a backup battery…Don’t carry much these days in the truck that can’t do multiple jobs.

Shawn686

Observer
I run the small dewalt, as it uses the Xr 20v batteries and I found an adapter that can charge them via USB-C sources up to 100w. So they charge from my solar or while driving.

it’s one less thing to carry fuel and oil mix. Agree they leak bar oil, but I got a nice bag from the fellas in Canada and it’s all contained for no mess.

Bonus is the dewalt USB charger reverses and change charge a phone on output in the case you need a backup battery…Don’t carry much these days in the truck that can’t do multiple jobs.
Can you post a link to this adapter?

I run dewalt and try to make everything run on those batteries, since you almost need a mortgage to own more than two now. So Since I got em I damn well am going to use em LOL

Shawn

Chris Boyd

Explorer
This is what is use, but without their AC adapter. I just installed a Powerwerx USB-C source in place of one my standard USB outlets. The Powerwerx usb can charge up to like 50watts off of standard battery voltages, so it takes a little longer, but who cares? If I need faster, I do have a fancy 100w DC-DC USB-C that I use with my laptop, but I rarely need it that fast. With the 5Ahr XR it takes a little longer than the standard AC charger, but as you say, I already mortgaged to have a few batteries so I keep 2 full all of the time and 1 on the charger.

I’ve cut a decently large tree (for the bar size) fully down and into short pieces on two batteries.

This nice thing as I mentioned, is it also powers out of the battery to charge a phone or something like an inreach in a pinch.

Isn’t it nice that dewalt figure out the razor blade model with batteries?

Shawn686

Observer
?

Thanks, I didnt know they made a new one. I have to older model with just two usb ports and no ability to charge the battery. Time to upgrade I guess.

Shawn

Last edited:

craig333

Expedition Leader
I have the Greenworks with a 16" bar. For homeowner/trail use it works great and I don't have to fight starting it. I'll probably get rid of my gas Stihl.

smbisig

Adventurer

I have been looking at the Dewalts as well since I am invested in several other tools that use the same battery. As for the oil, I saw somewhere online that there's an extra groove on the bar oil cap that you can add an extra o-ring? Or is yours leaking from the bar itself?

smbisig

Adventurer
Not to hijack the thread, but is everyone just using a bag and throwing the saw in the back of the truck/SUV, or are any of you using a bar mount style mount? Trying to get some ideas for the Canopy Camper and rather not have a saw floating around inside the camper.

Beardy

Not to hijack the thread, but is everyone just using a bag and throwing the saw in the back of the truck/SUV, or are any of you using a bar mount style mount? Trying to get some ideas for the Canopy Camper and rather not have a saw floating around inside the camper.

I have had the 36v Makita saw for about 3 years and carry it in a canvas bag inside the canopy
It has been used a lot and leak leak any oil so would be happy to stow it anywhere

86scotty

Cynic

Bumper/swingarm box for my little battery Makita, Honda generator, propane cans, grill and anything else smelly or funky like that that I don't want in the van.

I have carried it inside certain rigs but it still has a bar oil tank and can leak. They all can in certain situations.

Chris Boyd

Explorer
I have been looking at the Dewalts as well since I am invested in several other tools that use the same battery. As for the oil, I saw somewhere online that there's an extra groove on the bar oil cap that you can add an extra o-ring? Or is yours leaking from the bar itself?

I can’t say exactly. The last time I had a saw a pool of bar oil was after a pretty big cut, and I had refilled the reservoir pretty much full midway through the job. Now I keep a rag in the bag with the saw and I’m not seeing much. It might have been a one time deal.

I’ll have to look at the extra grove, but would think two o-rings would make it leak more? Leakage between the o-rings themselves?

Chris Boyd

Explorer

I use this bag, which can be lashed inside to tied downs, to molle panels, our outside to my swing outs. I had him shorten it for the dewalt shorty saw, but now I see you can order in different bar lengths down to 14”

On the short dewalt there is only one pouch - enough for a 1qt bar oil and some rags. Batteries can go in another inside pocket with the saw.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior