Electric Chain Saw

86scotty

Cynic
That's slick! Pricey but looks like a lifetime purchase if cared for. I like the lined inside to catch any seeping bar oil.

"It is fitted with a removable liner made of 18oz PVC for optimal fluid/oil retention in the event of a spill."

Antwon412

I have DeWalt 20v tools already, so found a “took only” sale and picked up the DeWalt chainsaw for…$100? $120?

Pretty cheap. It’s not the most powerful thing. But it has allowed my chop up logs blocking the trail and proceed. A full gas one would be quicker, but not practical for my uses.

FordGuy1

Adventurer
What's the views on electric saws these days? With sachsdolmakita stepping away from petrol saws are electric getting comparible? I struggle to see a battery saw competing with a 70+ cc saw for performance or for cost when a days worth of batteries are factored in. Although for smaller saws I guess they may be comparible and with lower noise and no faff with fuel there are advantages. I'm just idly thinking really but for some of my use I guess a corded electric would be great if it's performance and build quality were up to it. I get ARB waste and process my own firewood, and mum's, and do maybe 12-15 m³ a year. Mostly that's done with a little ms180, but also have a husqvarna 365 which gets a few tanks use each year to buck the bigger stuff. I actually already have an outside power socket on the outside of the garage at the spot I use to cut mostly, and with the 365 being there if I need to do any cutting away from home (the occasional help a neighbour) I wonder about selling the ms180 and getting a corded electric. The Makita UC 4051 looks like it could outperform the 180 and is slightly cheaper new. Is it time to trade in and go electric for the little saw? Something with the convenience, and a little more go, maybe a 12 or 14" bar, would be tempting if I got maybe half the cost from selling the 180, which maybe seems achievable/fair when I take a quick look on eBay. So, what are the corded Makitas like? Or the corded Stihl? Or any others?
I was looking at the Makitia 14" also. I like the compact design, and 14" seems like a good compromise. Anyone have one?

JackW

Explorer
I've been looking at getting one of the EGO saws - I have their string trimmer and blower and they are exceptionally good tools. The 16" would probably do what I need but the additional features of the 18" saw make it look like the better choice.
I have three old Stihl chain saws (great tools) but my needs for a chain saw have been reduced to occasional use to clear a fallen tree maybe once or twice a year.
It would be smart to stay in the same battery family and I could probably sell the old Stihls to buy the EGO saw.

I was having a fence put in recently and there was a big root right where a post needed to go - the contarctors cordless Dewalt reciprocating saw was having a problem cutting through it. My corded Bosch reciprocating saw just walked right through it.

WVI

Adventurer
I picked up the Ryobi listed last a couple weeks back.
This little thing is amazingly handy! Ive cut up a few large, 6-8" dead falls and it's great.
I just shoot the blade with some PB Blaster every so often.

It may be going back as I have discovered that chain availability seems to be nill..

ovʀʟxnᴅ

I've had a 40v Kobalt model for years. It has been great.

With any chain saw, don't forget that you can remove the bar and chain to shrink the form factor for storage.

joeblack5

We have the 20V DeWalt chainsaw. Mainly because of the batteries we own.
Works great to cut fallen and dry firewood at the camp site to size.
It is quiet and does not disturb or alert people and it takes up little space. We have diesel campers and solar so charging is easy.
And yes they can leak.
Johan

Reactions: WVI

J!m

Looks like the Echo is the preferred one.

I have an Echo (gas) trimmer and leaf blower and both have been decent quality, with zero repairs needed in close to ten years of use. Not even a spark plug yet!

I bemoan another battery system, but price : performance ratio is on the mark there for my needs. A used gas saw would be fine, but I would use it too infrequently, and be fixing it more than cutting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior