Expedition Americas November 5, 2007

dmc

Adventurer
wow,

not a good story. although i'm sure not atypical. luckily i'll be with a local in VZ and pretty much all the time in the world. any recommendations from your time in VZ? places to see, roads to avoid, places to eat, shops to avoid?
dmc

cruiser guy

Explorer
UK4x4's story wouldn't surprise me much. There are very few places I'd take my truck to, partly because I do all the work anyways and partly because I'm not too confident in the abilities of folks here to do it right, and to leave valuable parts intact if the rig is not expected back. Someone told me once that some mechanics feel that the ability to "jury rig" something means that they are somehow superior mechanics! I personally prefer things to be fixed right which is why I do it myself. Sometimes even finding a high enough grade of lubricant can be a challenge. I drove around for a couple of hours to find gear lube for my limited slip diff. Finding diesel oil suitable for the turbocharged engine is not impossible but not every "aceiteria" has the suitable grade either.

dmc

Adventurer
my plan is to do any and all work on my own truck. a lot of pm before I go will help. i've formed a pretty good relationship with ARB and will have a list of their distributors along my route that will allow me to use their shop not only in a pinch but for a tire rotation and oil change as well. it is a huge relief for me to know i'll have shops to work in if I need to.
dmc

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Venolandia...a short reply....I have loads of info...but also have to do some work....

a stuggling country with both poverty, corruption little middle class and a few high earners.

Scenic wise....its beautifull from its sandy deserts, high cloud forest and the gran sabana.

Personal security will be an issue...

everywhere

all the time......

be paranoid.........it will keep you safer.

As far as avoiding areas.....ok don't go.....consider all areas to be dodgy and you won't get surprised.

Western idea's of poor or bad neigbourhoods will take a dive......

Numero uno good idea !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Arrange your arrival in the country to align with a "Funrace", these are 4x4 races all over the country and attended by the nicest group of people I met in venezuela. You have all the main ofroad suppliers represented and make friends.

http://www.funrace4x4.com/

Just attending one will give you local contacts to visit.......the competitions were the best organised thing we attended in venezuela and gave us a support network of friends when we travelled independantly....and the stickers look cool too

Good parts....I could do a long post on each.......so I'll start with the west.......where my journey begun

Guajira Peninsula........If you can get through the army posts this a remote northern desert area, on the border with Colombia......not sure wether you'd be best afraid of the CO rebels or the Veno smugglers.....beutiful, clean water once you get away from the polution of maracaibo lake.

drive the beach's camp wherever.

Maracaibo the access point to the area is well known for carjacking.......

and the famous story of the murder in the My little cow restaurant where the
meat is good and the folklaw better...the assasin enters finds his target and shoots him and leaves.......

Then 5 mins later he returns and shoots the one he was sent for.....as he shot the wrong person first time round........

Maracaibo has the tallest women, and the weirdest names from Guajirian Indians.

The market whilst being interesting .......is dangerous...my girlfriend...who was
a local from Ojeda had her earings ripped from her ears from behind,,,,,,,,,and the robber disappered from sight before the scream ended..

Drive by...don't stop.........If you feel the need..........to explore....go get a room at the Maruma, they do cheap rates at the weekend and the carpark is walled.

Put on some scruffy clothes empty your wallet take a few Bolivars and a cheap watch and go wander....just take what you don't mind loosing.

Enjoy.....next post maracaibo lake-Adicora

dmc

Adventurer
i've been watching the funrace4x4 site for years now. that is a great idea. of course then i'll just be jealous of all the diesel 70 series fording 40inches of water. great info so far. keep it coming.
dmc

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
No diesels.......all gas..........Lots of snorkels, duct tape, silicone grease, rubber gloves...etc etc...

and and a few prayers, there are convenient Santeria shrines on all main roads

dmc

Adventurer
i should have known they weren't diesels, VZ is petrol, the rest of SA is diesel. rookie mistake. but now i understand the need for the prayers. ballsy at the least to make some of those crossings.
dmc

ginericLC

Adventurer
I saw Dave Tuesday night. Froze my butt off at the gas station. Gave him a few extra spares he didn't have. The rig looks great. Jealousy would be an understatement. His first out of state fuel stop, it stopped right at $50.00 and I think that was full not one of those CC limiting stops. There was an FJ Cruiser returning from SEMA, they were all over Dave's truck like Pavlov's dogs at dinner time.

trunk monkey

New to the site, good friend of Dave's. I'm monitoring his travels with the SPOT transmitter. Here's the latest:

SPOT Check OK. I am doing just fine.
Unit Number: 0-7341XXX
Latitude: 32.5803
Longitude: -116.6316
Nearest Town from unit Location: Tecate Rd, Tecate, CA, US
Distance to the nearest town: 0 km(s)
Time in GMT the message was sent: 11/13/2007 00:29:01
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...UTF8&z=12&om=1

trunk monkey

I'll post locales from time to time. I know there's a review on it in the tech forums, but that SPOT thing is pretty cool. I'd say it's an expedition essential.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78