Expedition Americas November 5, 2007

dmc

Adventurer
NewWorldOverland said:
Congrats on your trip & glad to see everything is going smoothly! We are doing the same thing this fall (first to Alaska, then down)

Hey, i may be missing something, but what is with the SPOT transmitter? Is it some sort of safety device that lets you report from the road?? That's awesome; we have been pounding our heads trying to find a way to keep concerned people at home up to date with our progress (beyond blogs, etc.)

Again, best of wishes and don't forget to keep up with the information on the road. At the start of this thread you were asking for info, now you're the guy we are gonna be asking lol.

i have plenty of info on ak. i have driven there from UT 7 times. most recently last thanksgiving. I did the Deadhorse trip in 02 as well. i'll email you when I get i minute so you have my direct contact info once you hit the road (or whenever you have questions.)
dmc

dmc

Adventurer
cruisermon said:
:oops: Thanks Kurt. Fixed it I believe. You should have you stickers today or tomorrow.

nice avatar D. I need to decide if i want to post that trip report or submit is somewhere else. I think TJK buried it.
dmc

cruisermon

dmc said:
nice avatar D. I need to decide if i want to post that trip report or submit is somewhere else. I think TJK buried it.
dmc

A quick but awesome trip. I'd like to do it again.

dmc

Adventurer
i am in Ushuaia. 30k+ on the odometer from SLC to Ushuaia. amazing that I am here in one piece
dmc

Quixote

Observer
dmc said:
i am in Ushuaia. 30k+ on the odometer from SLC to Ushuaia. amazing that I am here in one piece
dmc

Good Work, Dave! Where do you plan on shipping the car back? Or, you loved it so much you're driving back? ;)

dmc

Adventurer
Quixote said:
Good Work, Dave! Where do you plan on shipping the car back? Or, you loved it so much you're driving back? ;)

well i'm currently shopping my kidney around the back streets of Ushuaia to find a way to pay for a return trip. if successful i'll probably just put the car on a boat to South Africa. I can always keep dreaming right? you guys have a wondeful road ahead of you. savor every minute of it because it comes to an end very quickly.
dmc

dmc

Adventurer
Shipping contact for Buenos Aires to Long Beach California.

After spending 2.5 weeks in Ushuaia waiting through day after day of promises of ''tomorrow' I gave up and came to Buenos Aires. Through some friends I met who had shipped motorcycles I found a contact for a shipping agency. I'm going to post it here for future travelers (Shreesh) so i hope they can avoid the frustrations I went through. The company is All Cargo and they primarily do air freight. You would think this would be a limiting factor. I emailed them last Sunday night. By 10am Monday I had a reply requesting information about my truck and shipping needs. I stopped in a town a few hours south of here, scan in the requested docs and emailed them over at lunch. By 2pm I had been assigned an agent to work on my shipping and quotes had been requested. The quoting process takes a bit as i learned in Panama City. The agents are at the mercy of the freight companies. However I was assured that they could get me in a container by friday. of course I had heard this before. 1 company was still working on a Chile quote going on 5 weeks. 2 separate companies working 3 weeks from Ushuaia.

Weds morning I get an email with a quote including a stuffing appointment on friday if i could get all the paperwork done. I spent weds and thurs doing the paperwork at customs and the port. Friday morning I paid All Cargo and hours later my truck was in a container. Dafne, Natalia, Matias and Marcelo are extremely nice people who take pride in their job but were also very patient in helping me navigate the paperwork nightmare. They normally take possesion of their customers freight and act as customs agents. I didn't want to go that route because of the added expense and honestly I wanted and sort of needed (mentally) to load the truck in the container myself. They didn't treat me any less becuase of my desire to do some legwork myself. Frankly they kick *** and made my life much easier this week. I primarily worked with Natalia who was very thorough in her communication both via email and in person. All 3 speak very good english and tolerated me practicing my spanish when I could.

All Cargo S.A
Dafne Janowski
Rivadavia 893, 10th Floor
Buenos Aires, Argentina
PH:54-11-4345-6262
Email:D_janowksi@allcargo.com.ar

Natalia N. Basso
Sea & Air Export Department
ALL CARGO S.A.
Av. B. Rivadavia 893 - 10º floor
1002AAG) Buenos Aires - Argentina
Ph: +54 - 11 - 4345 - 6262
E-mail:natalia@allcargo.com.ar
http://www.allcargo.com.ar

Matías Calvo
ALL CARGO S.A.
Av. B. RIvadavia 893 - 10º floor
(C1002AAG) Buenos Aires - Argentina
Ph: +54 - 11 - 4345 - 6262 ext.13
Mobile: 15-5247-0738 / outside Argentina +54-9-11-5247-0738 Nextel ID: 54*265*128
E-mail: mcalvo@allcargo.com.ar
Web: www.allcargo.com.ar

because this will be of interest to some of you i'll include it...

Sea Freight........................ USD 2550.-
BAF..................................USD 500.-
THC............................... UD140.-
TOLL FEE........................USD 90.-
SECURITY......................USD 25
HANDLING ....................USD 60.5.-
GATE OUT .....................USD 30.25.-
LOG FEE..........................USD 50.-
A/L FEE............................USD 60.5

CHARGES AT THE THE HANDLING TERMINAL PORT
STUFFING.......................USD 338.-
T/7 CHARGE..................USD 85.96.-
ADM FEE.........................USD 8.-
TAXES THE CARGOES.....USD 3.-

All Cargo arranged for the Sea Freight and BAF to be paid upon pick up in Long Beach. The rest was due here prior to stuffing. They also worked to find a shipping agent for me to work with in Cali when my truck arrives. The total transit time is approx 32 days and my truck should leave on Weds. I hop on a plane tomorrow at 8pm. I'm still amazed that i'm headed home in less than a week after contacting All Cargo.
thanks,
dmc

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle