Family Adventure Rig - Planning Stages

rcintx

Adventurer
Hello all...

Never thought I would be perusing the Family section of a board like this, when I could be looking at build-threads and trip reports, but it is full of great advice. Thanks to all of you.

I had my first kid 7 weeks ago. Immediately, I realized that I wouldn't be having many adventures of my own anymore, but they would include my wife and son. I want to teach him to travel, see the world, learn about other cultures. Basically, I want to instill an adventurous and curious spirit into him.

So... On to the question. In the next few years I want to start taking him on trips ranging from State and National parks, to backcountry areas. Getting a little more challenging as he gets older. What rig would serve this plan the best?

I like the idea of having a base camp, and taking day trips to see everything. Below are the options I am considering, any other ideas/suggestions? I want to start saving now and make this purchase in a year or so.

Options:

Truck, Trailer (PopUp/Scamp/Adventure Trailer, etc.)
Truck, Popup truck camper, along the lines of FWC, etc.
Van Conversion (Sportsmobile :drool:)
SUV/Truck, Tent setup.

What do you guys think? What works for you? What doesn't?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Having a basecamp type setup works great for 95% of my adventures, especially family adventures.

I have an M416 with a RTT, I set it up, and the tow rig (usually my XJ for the family) is free for driving around.

Small works best for us, as we love to get to the remote spots, which usually involves rough trails and/or logging roads.

In the past, I have used a motorhome, and towed my CJ behind. Same concept, the RV was 'basecamp' and the CJ was free for checking out other lakes, trails, etc.

If you're into hiking and biking more, an RV, FWC or Sprtsmobile may be the ticket.

A lot will depend on how much 'comfort' you want to bring with (or have to, for the little ones sake)

The more gear, the bigger the rig or trailer to carry it all.

And where you go. Some areas are easily accessible by foot or bike, and others require driving to see the sights.

Having an RV as the only mode of transportation, would require packing it up to go sightseeing in those situations.

Some people don't mind this, some do.

Which is why the trailer works so well for my family. I can take John out looking for wildlife, or to the lake down the road to fish, and my wife can enjoy some solitude at the basecamp while we're gone.

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
we tried the sportsmobile (sorta..didnt have the pop-top)..with our 6yr old and 5mo old twins...not nuff room to be comfy (sardines)..

so we got a doublecab tundra and a slide in camper pop-top (skamper but like the FWC)..

LOVE IT...

plenty of room...wifes comfy...im comfy...kids are kids (read sleep anywhere)...so its MUCH better for us currently...

but I can see the merits of a trailer too...just gotta try one and see what works..

Rick B

Well, I've only done the SUV thing, but still wanted to post up...

1st by using the Pathfinder to find cool camping spots and setting up our tent/table/chairs/fire ring (is that a base camp?). (Started hitting Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, Capital Reef, Zion NP...w/our 1 year old boy)

2nd, lightly modified the Pathy and started pulling a pop-up trailer. This has made me realize how nice a solid roof, awning, indoor plumbing/sink, heater, sleeping off the ground, refrigerator...can be!!! (This was when we had 2 boys, ages 4 and 6 - now they are 5 and 7)

I actually still love tent camping (and experimented with "car camping" twice recenlty with 1 boy at a time). I think most people go with what works for them at that specific time in their lives and then figure out what they like best. We had a blast tent camping with our 1 year old and he LOVES looking at the photos of the crazy places we took him as a baby/toddler!!! But now, the pop-up tent trailer is amazingly cool for what we do and we are currently looking at an off-road worthy, used unit.

Have fun exploring the NP's!!!

rcintx

Adventurer
Thanks for the replies!

I grew up tent camping and backpacking (when I was a little older). My main idea with a camper of some sorts (either slide in or tow) is that if it is too hot or cold, I could get the little guy out of the elements. Plus... The wife likes "camping" much more if she has a few comforts (see heat, cooling, mattress, etc).

Once we reach a destination our main activities will be hiking, biking, and kayaking, depending on location.

I am just fine with a tent (or no tent) sleeping under the stars. I have never taken a toddler camping and am unsure what works. I think some sort of a camper is going to be the ticket until he gets older. But which one....

eugene

Explorer
I did the tent camping when my kids were really little. The difficult part if setup and teardown of the camp. Unpacking and setting up the tent, then the mattress/beds, setting up the grill/stove, etc all takes time. it goes quicker with two people doing the setup, one on each en of the tent poles for example but then the kids crawl away.
So I started looking at the camper route. A popup trailer you have to license which means the trip to the DMV and hassle with that. You also have to check tires and wheel bearings and such. The popup ones you really can't load without popping them up since they are less that 2' tall when popped down, plus popping up means sliding out the beds, etc, still took some time.
So I went the popup truck camper route. Its tall enough when popped down that I can get in and open most of the cabinets and load things in ahead of time so I can check supplies and such a day or two before leaving, kids can even sit on the couch and eat a snack at the table if my wife is at work. Then when were ready to go I drag it out of the garage, lift it up, pull the truck under, lower it, remove the jacks and plug in the cord. Less than an hour loading time, I've done that while my wife was at work even by jusy putting the kids in the car seats. When we get to the cmap site setup involves unlatching the roof latches, grabbing the crank and lifting the roof, about 5 minutes and its tall enough when down that the kids can sit inside while I'm lifting the roof so I can keep them comfined for a bit.
So the quick and easy setup at the camp site was the decision factor for me.
With enough $ I'd probably have went with a FWC but a $600 popup truck camper works for now.

We have been camping with a fleetwood Taos. Pretty small pop up with no fridge or ac. I did'nt want to go this route but the wife wanted it. It is nice to have all your stuff in one spot. Just hook it up and go.

On the other hand the male in the tribe is the one who parks, levels, erects and sets up utilities if available. We just recently moved to Phoenix from Virginia. We took our time and camped along the way and were on the road about twelve days. I was just shopping for a bigger tent when I decided to waste some time on expo.

In my opinion these things are for setting up for a weekend by the lake or something. They suck to setup and tear down for one night. Too much work and if it rains and you got to go in the morning you will end up with a wet bunk. On top of that the interiors of these things are made of graham crackers. My wood parts are starting to delaminate. Interiors are very cheaply made. Running gear is nice, I do have grease fittings on my wheel bearings. Maybe thats why you see so many utility trailer made of old pop ups.

cmgraves

Observer
First, congrats with your new addition to the family!

I am in the same boat as you, want my kids to be culture, expereinces the world, and realize how much is actually out there.

As others have said, its what you requirments are? what your prorities are? and very important, your budget?

One thing to mention is no one really has brought up a truck. You are planning on doing a lot of extra activies, (biking, kayaking, skiing) which take up a lot of space. Don't forget equipment for young ones take up a fair amount of space. Do you have dogs that you are planning on taggin along? This is where a truck bed comes in play and is very useful.

For us, we have a 2006 tundra, with the canopy shell. We build a storage/sleeping platform and throw a futon on top. Our daughter just turn 2, and we have done 4 or 4 major trips like this. Easy, simple, inovative and functional. (also budget comes into play, and allows for more money towards the actually traveling). If you are going for a weekend trip, just throw the matress in the bed with your camping gear, and you are ready to hit the road. I am planning on making a changing room to add to the topper shell for room for standing during bad weather.

Some pluses we like about the tundra. Safety was number one. Then relaiblity, gas milage and room for 2 more munchkins if applicaple.:chef: The power is outstanding, (if you plan on not to pull anything over 4500 pounds), handles great, and has atiquate off road capability for our needs. Also, the bed, love the truck bed. One thing i'm scared about with suv is all the gear in the back will turn into projectory objects if in an accident.

well thats my 2 cents. Works for us, will not work for others. List out items of your wants and needs, daily driver, budget and good luck exploring with your young one! I always love to hear families taking their littles one to play instead of letting them watch tv!

eugene

Explorer
Safety was my main reason for truck vs SUV, separation between cab and bed to keep gear out of the back of our heads. Chevy has the largest extended cab rear seat (with the exception of the dodge mega cab) and the best gas mileage of the half tons and just as reliable as any other brand.

strider3700

Adventurer
I've got a 2 year old and a 2 month old. Knowing that #2 was imminent I sold my old 4dr sidekick and bought and old 4dr F350. When I added the canopy I had pretty much as much space as was possible and how I wanted to camp was entirely up to me, not limited by the vehicle.

We're tent camping in a few weeks. First time out with the new one. We'll see how that goes but I'm almost certain we'll end up with a trailer soon. I grew up camping in at first a 13 foot trailer (4 of us) then when I was about 5 we got an 18 foot. That was great until I was 16 and too cool to go camping...

Anyways I'm convinced that an older trailer from the 70's or 80's will handle some mild abuse off road far better then the new ones. I could be totally wrong but I'm hearing far too many horror stories about new trailers rattling to pieces on dirt roads.

eugene

Explorer
An older trailer probably won't do any better than a new one, they were just held together by big staples and a few small screws back then. I've ended up rebuilding the back end of mine and half the interior. The paneling comes loose since its like thin layers, its like gluing the frame to the page of a book, that one page(layer) comes off and thats it, then the staples allow the wood frame joints to flex. I skinned the inside of mine with 1/4" plywood for extra strength.

rcintx

Adventurer
I think I will probably start with a small pop-up to tow behind my truck. As we grow (kiddo and fammily), then I will upgrade. By the time I retire (if I ever get to), I hope to be in a SMB or the likes to travel the world with with my wife. Thanks for all the replies.

I also agree with the older ones not holding up any better. I rebuilt an old hard side popup. It was not built any better than the new ones, not to mention how freakin heavy that thing was. The frame was no joke! I was tempted to tear it all down and build a flatbed out of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior