Family Adventure Rig - Planning Stages

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
H3Ts with F&R locking diffs are pretty capable. I've seen some run around off pavement, I wasnt blown away but I was suitably impressed. Could you make a Taco/FJ/4runner/Disco, etc just as capable or more so - definitely.

I've seen numerous H2s get stuck in dirt fields, on the beach, etc. If you are getting an h2 for $16k and a RTT for $50 sounds like you are getting the deal of the century.

Personally I wouldnt get an H2 for all the reasons mentioned above, and I have had the opportunity to drive one for the weekend.

-Sam

RuggedH2

This is my first post here.

I am a member of several off road and 4x4 sites and a couple other expedition sites... I just found this one. I like it... it is well organized and the information here is comprehensive.

Anyway... I felt I could weigh in with some first hand experience with Hummers... I have owned two (an H2 and an H3) for several years and have wheeled both often.

There is much disinformation out there about Hummer. A lot of this type of talk is spread by those that don't like the brand for whatever reason. Much rumor and mis-information is spread without ever checking facts. Ever heard the one about the H2 sitting on a Tahoe frame? Yeah.. that is not true and never was.

Well so... just to set the record straight... IMO the Hummers are great off road and make fantastic expedition rigs. I have wheeled with many other makes and have watched as my Hummers have not only kept up with the others but (as is the case with most other rigs) they have bettered the other brands on occasion.

They are comfortable and big enough for my family of 5. The operating costs are right in line with other 4x4's.

Here are some pics of my rigs.

IMG_2613.jpg

IMG_1449.jpg

IMG_1204.jpg

IMG_0006Large.jpg

Rugged-B.jpg

WipeoutHillChris.jpg

IMG_0092Large.jpg

IMG_3014.jpg

StrikewithAandA.jpg

IMG_0520.jpg

IMG_0482.jpg

IMG_0463.jpg

Last edited:

Greggk

ZombieSoldier
Yes, they have lifted versions. Coleman, Fleetwood, Starcraft, Jayco and Palomino all have them. IMO, it's more of an appearance package than anything. Yes, they are lifted, and have clearance for off-road. The frames are also beefed up on some of them. But the interior construction is still the same crappy MDF board, and they'll rattle apart if take seriously offroad.

Yeah, and I'm telling you that you can't take them at face value. JDP is more about marketing than it is about engineering.

In 2004, Hummer H@ had the lowest quality ratings of all. Maybe that is where most of your perception is coming from.

Fact is, you know why the H2 scored so low? Since it was an over 8500lb vehicle, it was not considered a light truck anymore, and thus, they did no have to print the EPA milage ratings on the window stickers. Customers were shocked when they only got 12mpg.

Gee, you're surprised a 8500lb vehicle, shaped like a brick, with a big gas V8 only gets 12mpg?

Every complaint about the milage counted as a defect, and that jacked the score up.

But that has NOTHING to do with "quality". And the H2 has nothing to do with and H3. Why do you assume an H3 will get poor milage? They're rated at 25mpg highway. Now, I know and you know it'll never actually get that, probably closer to 20, but that puts it right around the same milage as any other midsize truck.

good points

H3Ts with F&R locking diffs are pretty capable. I've seen some run around off pavement, I wasnt blown away but I was suitably impressed. Could you make a Taco/FJ/4runner/Disco, etc just as capable or more so - definitely.

I've seen numerous H2s get stuck in dirt fields, on the beach, etc. If you are getting an h2 for $16k and a RTT for $50 sounds like you are getting the deal of the century.

Personally I wouldnt get an H2 for all the reasons mentioned above, and I have had the opportunity to drive one for the weekend.

-Sam

regular H3 suv's have the same lockers as well. I am getting a H3 Alpha not a H2. and i have a conventional ground tent that i got for $50, not a RTT

I am a member of several off road and 4x4 sites and a couple other expedition sites... I just found this one. I like it... it is well organized and the information here is comprehensive.

Anyway... I felt I could weigh in with some first hand experience with Hummers... I have owned two (an H2 and an H3) for several years and have wheeled both often.

There is much disinformation out there about Hummer. A lot of this type of talk is spread by those that don't like the brand for whatever reason. Much rumor and mis-information is spread without ever checking facts. Ever heard the one about the H2 sitting on a Tahoe frame? Yeah.. that is not true and never was.

Well so... just to set the record straight... IMO the Hummers are great off road and make fantastic expedition rigs. I have wheeled with many other makes and have watched as my Hummers have not only kept up with the others but (as is the case with most other rigs) they have bettered the other brands on occasion.

They are comfortable and big enough for my family of 5. The operating costs are right in line with other 4x4's.

Here are some pics of my rigs.

IMG_2613.jpg

IMG_1449.jpg

IMG_1204.jpg

IMG_0006Large.jpg

Rugged-B.jpg

WipeoutHillChris.jpg

IMG_0092Large.jpg

IMG_3014.jpg

StrikewithAandA.jpg

IMG_0520.jpg

IMG_0482.jpg

IMG_0463.jpg

those pictures are full of WIN!!!!

05LR3AZ

Adventurer

The chassis of an H2 (I had thought) is a 2500 Suburban that has been modified at the front and rear. It's body length is 9" shorter than a Tahoe and it's wheelbase is 7" longer than the Tahoe. The H3 shares the same platform as the GMC Canyon and Chevry Colorado pickups but has been modified also.

None of that really matters. If you like the rig and it does what you want, why complain, right?

Nice pics also!

RuggedH2

Thanks,

You are right. The frames of these Hummers are based on GM platforms shared with other models.

The modifications made are where the differences occur.

The H2 does share the basic frame design (GMT820) with the 3/4 ton Suburban (not the 1/2 ton Tahoe) but has additional cross members welded for structural support. That basic frame design has 3 separate sections welded together in different configurations for different applications. Additional structural supports (cross-members) are also welded to the H2 frame that the other models on these platforms don't have. The mounting points are also changed to allow for better angles (approach, departure, break-over).

Here is a picture of the basic frames of the H3 and the Colorado / Canyon. It is a decent illustration and example of the fact that they share the same platform but... the application changes make the difference. The devil (in understanding) is always in the details... which most haters don't bother with. :ylsmoke:

hummer-h3-and-chevy-colorado-gmc-canyon-frame-comparison.jpg

Last edited:

spencyg

This Space For Rent
I really love our van platform for adventure travel. Really. Really. Space can be a premium if you don't pack well, but if you think of the vehicle more like an apartment that you "unpack" into, everything works really well. Mind you, this is with just 1 kid. I like my space (inside and out) and would be the first to say that 4 people would be pushing the comfort significantly. I think if/when we add another to the mix, we will be either building a new vehicle based on a F550 Crew Cab, or will be forced to travel with an adventure style trailer with a RTT. The second solution might be more realistic, and it gets the little ones out of the vehicle while sleeping (our daughter is noisy!!). I think what you really need to decide is whether you want to have experiences while living in your vehicle, or around it. Sportsmobile-type rigs, Earthroamer, Fuso, etc are all "live in" rigs, while SUVs and Trucks with RTT's or Bed Caps are more "live around". A hybrid example combining these two styles of travel are the Alaskan style camper (slide-in) and the Flippac. Neither of those solutions are really meant for more than 2 people though unless you get a really big slide in.

So you need to decide how you want to interact with your surroundings and proceed accordingly. Whatever solution you deem adequate will only prove to tie your family together and provide you all with experiences which truly define life.

Good Luck.

rcintx

Adventurer
I really love our van platform for adventure travel. Really. Really. Space can be a premium if you don't pack well, but if you think of the vehicle more like an apartment that you "unpack" into, everything works really well. Mind you, this is with just 1 kid. I like my space (inside and out) and would be the first to say that 4 people would be pushing the comfort significantly. I think if/when we add another to the mix, we will be either building a new vehicle based on a F550 Crew Cab, or will be forced to travel with an adventure style trailer with a RTT. The second solution might be more realistic, and it gets the little ones out of the vehicle while sleeping (our daughter is noisy!!). I think what you really need to decide is whether you want to have experiences while living in your vehicle, or around it. Sportsmobile-type rigs, Earthroamer, Fuso, etc are all "live in" rigs, while SUVs and Trucks with RTT's or Bed Caps are more "live around". A hybrid example combining these two styles of travel are the Alaskan style camper (slide-in) and the Flippac. Neither of those solutions are really meant for more than 2 people though unless you get a really big slide in.

So you need to decide how you want to interact with your surroundings and proceed accordingly. Whatever solution you deem adequate will only prove to tie your family together and provide you all with experiences which truly define life.

Good Luck.

This may be the most important post on this topic. I do need to spend some time thinking about where I want to go, and how I want to "live" along the way. "Whatever solution you deem adequate will only prove to tie your family together and provide you all with experiences which truly define life." Awesome quote. This is my main objective. Thanks SpencyG, for reminding me the purpose for all of this.

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
I have to be honest i have never driven an H3 but have driven 6-7 H2's. the only one I enjoyed at all was a sporting a Duramax. Before I had driven the diesel, My parents were wanted to get one and after the test drive up one of our steep Hwy's with the same motor as the Tahoe they were replacing. in our opinion the H2 just did not have enough power with the gas motor options. After driving the H2 with the duramax I was tempted to switch to the dark side but never did.
With Hummer trying to move it's remaining inventory to shut down permanently it might be a great time to buy one. on the flip side, like my dodge magnum, parts are going to get very expensive very fast.

Now do not get me wrong visually the H2 and H3T give me wood every time I see them. It is usually after I drive something that I find problems with things.

Also on the pop up tent trailers with lifts. I have to some what agree with who ever said they thought it would be more of a visual thing and not really an off road setup. It "looks" beefy but there has to be a better setup if your looking for a trailer of some type.

RuggedH2

John,

You drive an old 4 runner... but the power in the H2 was a deal breaker for you? :D

325 horsepower / 370 ft lbs torque is a little better than the 22RE.

The last H2's came with the 6.2 403 horsepower / 417 ft lbs torque.

Last edited:

Greggk

ZombieSoldier
John,

You drive an old 4 runner... but the power in the H2 was a deal breaker for you? :D

325 horsepower / 370 ft lbs torque is a little better than the 22RE.

The last H2's came with the 6.2 403 horsepower / 417 ft lbs torque.

hmmm 1986

22R 72hp at 4800 rpm 174torque 2800 rpm 1981–1990 carb, dual row timing chain ('81-'82)
carb, single row timing chain ('83-'90

22R-E 84hp at 4600 rpm 192torque 3400 rpm 1985–1995 EFI, single row timing chain

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior