Family Adventure Rig - Planning Stages

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
This still stands as well as the reliability and cost issues. Like I said I think the H3 is a huge costly mistake. As for the H3T? how is that changing anything? Bed space in it is ridiculous.

the H3 stood out as a poseur in a cheap tux amongst the barebones off-roaders that showed their battle scars with pride.

simply put the H3 is a weekend only posser mobile. it will never be more than that.

Petro

Adventurer
I'd stay away from the FJ Crusier as a family vehicle. Was looking at them before I got my 4dr Rubicon. I have two kids (ages 4 and 7). The way the back seats of the FJ Cruiser is designed, along with the suicide doors, make it almost impossible for little ones to see out the windows while sitting in the back seat, it's like a cave back there for them. Not ideal when touring the open road and trying to enjoy the scenery.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
+1.

My kids LOVE my Discovery. I don't think anything else out there has a better greenhouse.

John, most of what you're stating as fact about the H3, seems more like opinion.

rcintx

Adventurer
Maybe its just being a first time dad, but I am a little nervous at taking them out at such a young age (6 months). I am sure, I will get over that though. (I don't think their head will fall anymore :)).

I think I will start taking him out slowly and day trips and see how it goes. If all goes well, lets do an overnighter!

Great advice from the dads with more experience. Thanks to everyone!

rcintx

Adventurer
For another option... I have a shell on my truck now. What would you guys think about adding an SUV tent to the back, and using that for the family? Wife and kiddo in the shell, me in the tent? Or something similar?

Greggk

ZombieSoldier
This still stands as well as the reliability and cost issues. Like I said I think the H3 is a huge costly mistake. As for the H3T? how is that changing anything? Bed space in it is ridiculous.

the H3 stood out as a poseur in a cheap tux amongst the barebones off-roaders that showed their battle scars with pride.

simply put the H3 is a weekend only posser mobile. it will never be more than that.

no matter what you say will change your mind. to me it seems like you are a toyota snob. I known quite a few owners of H3's that have never had any issues with them other then normal wear and tear.. tires, brakes and the like. and as far as the poseur in a cheap tux among barebones off roaders that has to be the gayest thing i have read on here. you are comparing apples to oranges. that is like comparing a discovery to a samurai. 2 totally different classifications of vehicles. one thing you arent remembering is this is going to be a daily driver that will serve as a trail riding vehicle for myself, wife, 3 kids and 2 dogs, and do it in comfort.

and you want to talk about expensive ownership have you priced a range rovers maintenance costs as well as other parts for them. british vehicles arent cheap. my neighbor has the same 4runner as in your avatar, his is a 1987 sr5 v6 auto with 33" goodyear MTR's, and that was more expensive to keep running then my old 82 bronco, and couldnt hang with my bronco in the rocks, mud, or street, let alone my buddies h3 with the inline 5 offroading (btw the h3 was bone stock down to the crappy goodyear tires).

so just remember its all about personal preference, so what you dont like the H3... Great, I am glad... But just remember you dont pay my bills so i dont have to worry about your opinion. thanks for playing anyways. we will send you home with a consolation prize of a :beer:

Last edited:

Greggk

ZombieSoldier
For another option... I have a shell on my truck now. What would you guys think about adding an SUV tent to the back, and using that for the family? Wife and kiddo in the shell, me in the tent? Or something similar?

i think that would be a great idea. if you get one of those inverters for the truck you could get one of those small electric space heaters for chilly nights to stay comfortable. then use this for comfortable sleeping

http://www.pickupspecialties.com/Truck_bedz/truck_bedz_truck_bed_air_mattress.htm

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
no matter what you say will change your mind. to me it seems like you are a toyota snob. I known quite a few owners of H3's that have never had any issues with them other then normal wear and tear.. tires, brakes and the like. and as far as the poseur in a cheap tux among barebones off roaders that has to be the gayest thing i have read on here. you are comparing apples to oranges. that is like comparing a discovery to a samurai. 2 totally different classifications of vehicles. one thing you arent remembering is this is going to be a daily driver that will serve as a trail riding vehicle for myself, wife, 3 kids and 2 dogs, and do it in comfort.

and you want to talk about expensive ownership have you priced a range rovers maintenance costs as well as other parts for them. british vehicles arent cheap. my neighbor has the same 4runner as in your avatar, his is a 1987 sr5 v6 auto with 33" goodyear MTR's, and that was more expensive to keep running then my old 82 bronco, and couldnt hang with my bronco in the rocks, mud, or street, let alone my buddies h3 with the inline 5 offroading (btw the h3 was bone stock down to the crappy goodyear tires).

so just remember its all about personal preference, so what you dont like the H3... Great, I am glad... But just remember you dont pay my bills so i dont have to worry about your opinion. thanks for playing anyways. we will send you home with a consolation prize of a :beer:

and you can actually kiss my rear for that comment. you asked people opinions you got mine along with some real world test articles. So what your gonna use it for a DD that just means the MPG's are horrid but your right I do not pay your bills. If the H3 is what does it for you then why the hell are you asking opinions on it. As for the H3 being a DD or a family adventure rig, Good luck

Oh and by the way any time you want to compare vehicle ability and reliability... bring it on. With out a doubt my 4runner has seen more country for way less money than your H3 ever will. It may not be pretty like your H3 will be, but it is functional and the cost to maintain it is next to nothing.

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
+1.

My kids LOVE my Discovery. I don't think anything else out there has a better greenhouse.

John, most of what you're stating as fact about the H3, seems more like opinion.

Rob your the last person I want to be arguing with. The info I submitted could be considered opinion. but those opinions were from 3 separate professional testing companies. I should have wrapped them in quotes but didn't.

Petro - I actually agree with you on cave thing. We tested one out 2 weeks ago and decided against it. I am up in the air with 3 rigs myself

Greggk

ZombieSoldier
Rob your the last person I want to be arguing with. The info I submitted could be considered opinion. but those opinions were from 3 separate professional testing companies. I should have wrapped them in quotes but didn't.

Petro - I actually agree with you on cave thing. We tested one out 2 weeks ago and decided against it. I am up in the air with 3 rigs myself

actually i was asking for opinions on a rtt vs pop-up tow behind vs a conventional ground tent.

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
im not understanding your train of thought nor your logic. please explain.

But anyways not to dwell on the rig, to each their own.

As far as sleeping arrangements I am not a fan of the RTT for family use. IMO it is a little to crowded for everyone and I see a lot of people in that boat right here on ExPo. As for the pop up. really take your pick. most are not exactly my cup of tea but a buddy of mine is still using an OLD Coleman after many moons. I also got the chance to step into a Starcraft a few weeks ago and gotta say it was pretty tight with it's raise suspension and leveling system. pretty neat stuff.

Greggk

ZombieSoldier
But anyways not to dwell on the rig, to each their own.

As far as sleeping arrangements I am not a fan of the RTT for family use. IMO it is a little to crowded for everyone and I see a lot of people in that boat right here on ExPo. As for the pop up. really take your pick. most are not exactly my cup of tea but a buddy of mine is still using an OLD Coleman after many moons. I also got the chance to step into a Starcraft a few weeks ago and gotta say it was pretty tight with it's raise suspension and leveling system. pretty neat stuff.

it was lifted? did it come that way from the factory? you perked my interest on that one. currently we get by with my big ground tent but i am tired of listening to the kids complain about it getting cold up here in the colorado rockies and the tent has a few very small leaks, that is the reasoning behind looking for an upgrade.

eugene

Explorer
i think that would be a great idea. if you get one of those inverters for the truck you could get one of those small electric space heaters for chilly nights to stay comfortable. then use this for comfortable sleeping

http://www.pickupspecialties.com/Truck_bedz/truck_bedz_truck_bed_air_mattress.htm

I looked into a small electric heater, when you compare the amp draw of one compared to the A/H ratings of a deep cycle battery you'll find they won't make it through the night. I even looked at 12v heaters to get around the invertor loss.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
it was lifted? did it come that way from the factory? you perked my interest on that one. currently we get by with my big ground tent but i am tired of listening to the kids complain about it getting cold up here in the colorado rockies and the tent has a few very small leaks, that is the reasoning behind looking for an upgrade.

Yes, they have lifted versions. Coleman, Fleetwood, Starcraft, Jayco and Palomino all have them. IMO, it's more of an appearance package than anything. Yes, they are lifted, and have clearance for off-road. The frames are also beefed up on some of them. But the interior construction is still the same crappy MDF board, and they'll rattle apart if take seriously offroad.

but those opinions were from 3 separate professional testing companies.

Yeah, and I'm telling you that you can't take them at face value. JDP is more about marketing than it is about engineering.

In 2004, Hummer H@ had the lowest quality ratings of all. Maybe that is where most of your perception is coming from.

Fact is, you know why the H2 scored so low? Since it was an over 8500lb vehicle, it was not considered a light truck anymore, and thus, they did no have to print the EPA milage ratings on the window stickers. Customers were shocked when they only got 12mpg.

Gee, you're surprised a 8500lb vehicle, shaped like a brick, with a big gas V8 only gets 12mpg?

Every complaint about the milage counted as a defect, and that jacked the score up.

But that has NOTHING to do with "quality". And the H2 has nothing to do with and H3. Why do you assume an H3 will get poor milage? They're rated at 25mpg highway. Now, I know and you know it'll never actually get that, probably closer to 20, but that puts it right around the same milage as any other midsize truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior