Fg 637 build

selfy

Observer
Hi all
new to the forum, some great info here

this is my project, it is an old tourist bus from Fraser Island (so i'm told)

the day I got it home, not running most bits missing and unlic
Photo0017.jpg

made a tray for it (so it can earn some money)
Photo0056.jpg

now making a camper for it (to spend the money earnt)
Photo0073.jpg

cheers Selfy

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Firstly... welcome. :)

I'm guessing that you are going to have a pass-thru in your camper, even though the camper frame you are building does not look like it has provision for one.

selfy

Observer
no not planning to have a pass thru as it needs to be used as a truck
when it was a bus it had the back cut out (very dodgy job too)
I have put in a 200mm extension on the back of the cab, just need to put a window in it

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I see... all clear as mud now.
Are you going to sheet most of back and use a normal Canter sized window or are you going for something bigger?

You obviously have some welding skills, which will prove very beneficial for your project I am sure.

blackduck

Explorer
welcome to the mad house selfy
theyre a great bunch with a wealth of knowledge and good ideas
we can add you to our projects to watch list
just one thing - don't for a moment think beige is a masculine colour to paint a truck :wings:

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hi Selfy,

Welcome....I'm not sure that was a Fraser bus.....are there any old mod plates on the door frame or near the entry steps? No trace of the manufacturer , eh? What year 637 was it? First thought was that it was one of Billy Tea Safaris buses but if engineer sees this maybe he would remember. He used to work Fraser back then too so he'd know if anyone would.

selfy

Observer
I see... all clear as mud now.
Are you going to sheet most of back and use a normal Canter sized window or are you going for something bigger?

yes am waiting for a canter window and rear section out of another truck that is having the opposite conversion

selfy

Observer
Hi Selfy,

Welcome....I'm not sure that was a Fraser bus.....are there any old mod plates on the door frame or near the entry steps? No trace of the manufacturer , eh? What year 637 was it? First thought was that it was one of Billy Tea Safaris buses but if engineer sees this maybe he would remember. He used to work Fraser back then too so he'd know if anyone would.

there are no mod plates (yet) its a 97 so i'm guessing if it was altered back then you could get away without changing the plate ?
the guy I got it off took the bus back and the super singles to put on a newer canter (he is going to give me the rear window section out of his once its removed)
some one at some stage has spent a fair bit of coin, all new mitsubishi suspension back and front, the chassis has been hot dip galvanised
the cab was a bit rusty under the seats (looks like it spent alot of time on the beach without getting a good wash down)
who ever split the cab and chassis cut the wiring harness at almost every place they could, after pricing a new harness I opted to work it out and repair it (which was a painfull job, but its all good now)
the bus back was dark green as well, so if any one knows where it came from ??

cheers Selfy

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
there are no mod plates (yet) its a 97 so i'm guessing if it was altered back then you could get away without changing the plate ?
the guy I got it off took the bus back and the super singles to put on a newer canter (he is going to give me the rear window section out of his once its removed)
some one at some stage has spent a fair bit of coin, all new mitsubishi suspension back and front, the chassis has been hot dip galvanised
the cab was a bit rusty under the seats (looks like it spent alot of time on the beach without getting a good wash down)
who ever split the cab and chassis cut the wiring harness at almost every place they could, after pricing a new harness I opted to work it out and repair it (which was a painfull job, but its all good now)
the bus back was dark green as well, so if any one knows where it came from ??

Ok....well there must have been a plate on there at some stage to cover it as a bus. So not sure why it still isn't there.

Retire would have been the sensible thing to do.

I don't often see rusty 637's......the cabs were normally not too bad even for a beach bus ...the chassis was usually a different story though.

Standard Mitsubishi suspension isn't worth much......more than likely he had good springs on the 637 being a bus and he swapped over the springs from the new chassis onto yours and put the good springs from the bus on the new chassis. Maybe???

I'll ask around to see if anyone here knows it......

Regards john.

selfy

Observer
mounted the rear of the camper with a fish plate that the camper body can hinge on (basicly like a tipper)
then did a little flex test

Photo0076.jpg

this is a short wheel base truck got 35mm over 2m and I think it will flex more than that on a steeper incline

Photo0077-1.jpg

Last edited:

selfy

Observer
anybody know what year the fuso's replaced the passenger side bench seat with a bucket seat
I need to source one

cheers Selfy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan