Fg 637 build

selfy

Observer
well it goes for rego inspection tomorrow hopefully it will pass first time
then a test drive up the Collie hill (big long climb) that should test all the mechanical systems out :)

then pack it up and head off to the Kimberly's for a couple of months

blackduck

Explorer
well it goes for rego inspection tomorrow hopefully it will pass first time
then a test drive up the Collie hill (big long climb) that should test all the mechanical systems out :)

then pack it up and head off to the Kimberly's for a couple of months

Dealing with the WA DOT about as pleasant as a colonoscopy
sometimes with the same result

MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU :victory:

if it all works out and your coming past give me a yell ill leave a wheel out for you

selfy

Observer
Dealing with the WA DOT about as pleasant as a colonoscopy
sometimes with the same result

MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU :victory:

if it all works out and your coming past give me a yell ill leave a wheel out for you

haha yeah its an experience you wouldn't wish on anyone

the truck passed its pit inspection but they can't pass it because the vin# and chassis# don't match
so he tells me to write a letter to the vehicle safety and standards section in Perth
so the wife says bugger that i'll ring them, gets some bloke who says his supervisor will ring within 24 hrs
and you wouldn't believe it they rang back
its all good they say, its never been rego'd in WA
so I ring the inspector back up and tell him the good news
he gets cranky at me because I didn't send the letter like he told me to and then says he wont do anything until he has it in writing from the VSS
so now we have to wait until tomorrow to continue the saga of what should be a simple process

and yes will definitely come and get that wheel
it will be a good maiden voyage

selfy

Observer
well the saga continues with the bureaucrats and their small minds
my chassis wont be allowed on the road because it has been galvanised,
this can cause hydrogen embrittlement apparently
so after much searching around for a replacement chassis which seem to be like hens teeth
it looks like I will have to buy another truck and part this one out

canter tourer

Adventurer
how about just spraying the chassis black, it'll then look like every other truck's chassis on the road and try another rego office?

blackduck

Explorer
still the joys of dealing with the WA DOT
your obviosly dealing with the inspection agent?
or because of the GVM do you have to get it checked by the DOT themselves
2 options
downgrade the GVM if this suits your requirements and just get it roadworthied
because it becomes a car all you need is the roadworthy certificate (i think)
or like the man said paint it black preferebly with tar based paint (cause that stuff dont come off) and take it to a different rego office

either way dealing with the DOT is like being a peice of timber
ONE DAY YOUR GUNNA GET SCREWED
best of luck :sombrero:

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I agree... just paint it black and no one will ever know (except us here on Expo...). Use something like POR15 or LIC43, as both of those stick like ******t to a blanket.

I wonder if the same rules apply in Vic, as Alan has just had his chassis hot dip galvanised...

selfy

Observer
the VIN number has been recorded and wont be allowed to be registered
if I could find another chassis then I have to apply for a surrogate VIN and all would be OK

alan

Explorer
don't wish that on me!
There are plenty of chassis's that gal from the factory so I'm not sure what there on about.
not to mention thousands and thousands of trailers and caravans.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
the VIN number has been recorded and wont be allowed to be registered
All I can say is that sucks!

I must agree with Alan's logic and cannot see why they are saying what they are.
Another option might be to register the truck in another state... Sucky, but it is an option.

blackduck

Explorer
its worth the punt
when you say the vin has been recorded that would be against that chassis not the coating on it
here in boganville I work next door to the DOT
every time i try to get them to do somthing and its all to hard or they just cant make a decision
I simply fill out a new form and take it up the road to the next office
put on my friendly fqace and it gets done
funny but i thought they would record transactions on thier system
but apparently not

alan you dont have to worry
when they get a look at your beige truck and matching cardigan and slippers they'll be so busy rolling round the floor they wont be able to look at anything:Wow1:

gait

Explorer
with my metallurgical hat on (degree and steel making process improvement about 40 years ago) .... hydrogen embrittlement can occur from the pickling prior to galvanising, its a potential issue for high strength steels, the Mitsubishi chassis is probably high enough tensile that it matters.

There's a baking process available after pickling which allows the hydrogen to diffuse out but not high enough temperature to effect the physical properties of the steel.

Sorry, not much help if already galvanised. Apart from confirmation of bureaucratic concerns.

I thought galvanising sounded like a good idea, hydrogen embrittlement wouldn't have occurred to me until this thread ....

If you need to inspect at some point in the future any cracks will probably start around bolt/rivet holes, or changes in section / sharp corners where cracks may occur anyway. Cracks from this source can also appear in plain surfaces.

selfy

Observer
update to the continuing saga
after having searched most of the wrecking yards in Australia for a 637 chassis to no avail
a 2000 dual cab 4x4 came up on gumtree a few emails back and forth and i was ready to fork out 9k to get it
i was just about to email the guy to say yes, and i checked gumtree one more time and you wouldn't believe it
there was a guy advertising 2 diffs from a FG637 so i rang him up and he had a chassis as well that was in good nic
so i ask him where he is expecting it to be on the other side of the country and he lives 5km down the road from me
this time next week there will 2 FG637's sitting in the driveway (that will make the wife happy)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan