FJC Frame issues?

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
viter said:
X2

check out toyota website and trail team videos on their website - they obviously wouldn't be organizing Toyota Trail Team events if they did not endorse using these FJC's off-road and in conditions at least at the level the Toyota Traiul Teams are driving their FJC's through.

Cell4Soul (member here as well) had to go through a lot to get his Taco frame/engine mount fixed under warranty, but eventually he won - might be a good read for anyone struggling with FJC issues - found in this long thread on TTORA - http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49360&page=26

TRUE! VERY TRUE! I'm on our side, however...at some point it is possible for folks to cross the line from off-roading to abusing there vehicle. Not saying he has here.

MaddBaggins

Explorer
But as soon as you put a lift on or bigger tires or any kind of mod, you change the operating parameters that the vehicle was designed for. Once you've done that, I don't see why Toyota has to stand behind it. Thats cool if they do, I'm just looking at the other side of the coin.

For those who haven't mod'ed their rig, then yes, Toyota should fix them.

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
MaddBaggins said:
But as soon as you put a lift on or bigger tires or any kind of mod, you change the operating parameters that the vehicle was designed for. Once you've done that, I don't see why Toyota has to stand behind it. Thats cool if they do, I'm just looking at the other side of the coin.

The Magnusen-Moss Warranty act is very clear in placing the burden of proof on the auto manufacturer to show that any modifications caused the problem before they deny warranty coverage. So, in this case, Toyota should have to prove that the lift caused the inner fender tears - not very likely they can do this IMO.

Now, that's all nice protection for the consumer in theory. In practice few consumers have the resources to stand up to the dealer/OEM on these issues.

Suffice to say though there is no automatic elimination of any warranty coverage just because the owner modifies the vehicle.

SinCityFJC

Adventurer
cnynrat said:
The Magnusen-Moss Warranty act is very clear in placing the burden of proof on the auto manufacturer to show that any modifications caused the problem before they deny warranty coverage. So, in this case, Toyota should have to prove that the lift caused the inner fender tears - not very likely they can do this IMO.

Now, that's all nice protection for the consumer in theory. In practice few consumers have the resources to stand up to the dealer/OEM on these issues.

Suffice to say though there is no automatic elimination of any warranty coverage just because the owner modifies the vehicle.

Oh so true from my own personal experience. Then you have TMC & its dealers selling FJCs like this brand new w/warranty

LC/LR4Life

Adventurer
MaddBaggins said:

Toyota was pushing dealer installed lifts, larger tires etc. You're blowing hot air man. This kind of thing should be warranted as a factory defect. I traded my FJC in early for my current cruiser before I got in too deep. It wheels great, however I am upset that Toyota is turning a blind eye to their engineering flaws.

2006/early 2007 models had the rear diff problem, and the transfer case problem (sticking in 4 Lo), also the MT6 had a bad main pilot bearing issue, then there were the inner fender rips... and now this frame issue on the front end. Toyota is responsible, no question. People respect a person or company when they own up to something. However when they act like they didn't do it, it only makes them go buy something else later. I bought Toyota because of UNQUESTIONABLE QUALITY. That is what I have always had and what I expect from Toyota. The guys in the head shed at Toyota need to get their heads out of their a s s and straighten up.

MaddBaggins

Explorer
LC/LR4Life said:
Toyota was pushing dealer installed lifts, larger tires etc. You're blowing hot air man. This kind of thing should be warranted as a factory defect. I traded my FJC in early for my current cruiser before I got in too deep. It wheels great, however I am upset that Toyota is turning a blind eye to their engineering flaws.

2006/early 2007 models had the rear diff problem, and the transfer case problem (sticking in 4 Lo), also the MT6 had a bad main pilot bearing issue, then there were the inner fender rips... and now this frame issue on the front end. Toyota is responsible, no question. People respect a person or company when they own up to something. However when they act like they didn't do it, it only makes them go buy something else later. I bought Toyota because of UNQUESTIONABLE QUALITY. That is what I have always had and what I expect from Toyota. The guys in the head shed at Toyota need to get their heads out of their a s s and straighten up.

I'm blowing hot air, OK. Like I said in my first post, I do not know warranty laws on vehicles. Therefore take what I am saying with a grain of salt. I also said I am just trying to look at the other said of the coin. Devils advocate.

For people out there lifting trucks and doing a-trac hacks for improved offroad, is Toyota liable for coverage? A dealer installed modification is different than a garage installed one. They did the work, they are responsible. You always see commercials with sports cars hauling butt and drifting and such. Down at the bottom of the screen it says "professional driver on a closed course-do not attempt". So the manufacturers like to show what a vehicle can do, but I don't think they necessarily condone the consumer doing it and are they legally liable for damages if you do.

Like I said, I hope Toyota does fix them for people but if they don't, I wouldn't be surprised. My .02

viter

Adventurer
advertisement is one thing, organizing off-road events with Toyota Trail Teams on trails like Rubicon is something else...

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Look at this in a broad perspective. Stock FJC's are having this issue, Toyota knows this. For them to deny the warranty on a modified truck when they know the issue exists on stock trucks, is unethical IMO. Sure the use of a modified truck might accelerate the defect, I don't believe for a second that it causes it. When Toyota redesign a part for a problem they don't have, you know something is up.

Layonnn

Adventurer
cruiseroutfit said:
When Toyota redesign a part for a problem they don't have, you know something is up.

x2 If there is no issue, why are they making thicker layered inner fenders?

Makedonas1

Observer
when did they start making this re-design? This is actually the first time I read this thread and now I want to run and inspect every inch of my FJ.

Layonnn

Adventurer
Makedonas1 said:
when did they start making this re-design? This is actually the first time I read this thread and now I want to run and inspect every inch of my FJ.

Not sure when it started, probably soon after people started noticing tears/bulges.

The new re-visions are multilayered, not just one sheet of metal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears