Flat Towing

Photog

Explorer
One more question: My 1988 4Runner and my 2004 4Runner do not have a "N" position in transfercase. I was looking at a 2002 Tacoma, and it does have "N" on the T/C lever.

This thread is discussing flat-towing a Toyota. Does the vehicle in question have a neutral position in the T/C?

With the vehicles that do have a neutral position in the T/C, is there a problem with flat-towing in that position?

cydonia-jacc

Observer
I flat tow an FJ Cruiser behind a motorhome. I take the family on vacations with it regularly so unbolting the driveshaft was not an option. I thought about a trailer but I wasn't sure what to do with it at campgrounds. I ended up purchasing a disconnecting driveshaft from Remco. I have towed a couple of thousand miles now without a problem. The instruction manual that came with the shaft stated to place trans in park and t/c in 2hi. I'm not sure if they offer one for your runner but you can check their website.

cydonia-jacc

Observer
Photog said:
Does that disconnect get hung up on the rocks or brush?

Good question. It hasn't happened yet. There is a smooth plate on the bottom but I'm not sure what kind of an impact it could take.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I keep forgetting to photo-document the 'oil pump' in the partly disassembled Marlin Crawler. As this is a first gen transfer-case I wonder how much the info would apply to later models?

Photog

Explorer
Photog said:
One more question: My 1988 4Runner and my 2004 4Runner do not have a "N" position in transfercase. I was looking at a 2002 Tacoma, and it does have "N" on the T/C lever.

With the vehicles that do have a neutral position in the T/C, is there a problem with flat-towing in that position?

Nobody knows the answer to this question?

Does the owners manual for these Tacoma's suggest they can be flat-towed?

cydonia-jacc

Observer
Does the owners manual for these Tacoma's suggest they can be flat-towed?[/QUOTE]

I don't think Toyota recommends flat towing any of their vehicles. :rolleyes:
I'm not sure about Ford but GM and Chrysler offer several vehicles that can be towed without modification.That is why you see so many Jeep Wranglers and Saturns behind motorhomes.

Photog

Explorer
OK, I'm asking specificly about the previous generation of Tacomas, that have the "Neutral" position in the transfercase.

We will be getting a motorhome next year, and I want to have a trail vehicle that can be "flat-towed". I would prefer a Tacoma over a Jeep, as the view from a jeep is like driving from inside a cave (same as FJ Cruiser and Hummers). The windshield size and angle on the Tacoma allows a much better view of the world.

My second choice will be a Jeep Wrangler (poor view and all).

The key question is: can a Tacoma with the "neutral" position in the transfer case, be flat-towed, without modifying anything?

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
This doesn't answer the question above, but I finally remembered to take some pictures of the pump in the tailshaft housing of the mini-truck transfercase.

Of importance to note is the wide diameter between the seal and the speedo drive gear.
IMG_0311.jpg

The speedo drive gear is the smaller one. The second 'gear' is actually a screw impeller that fits tightly in the above mentioned diameter. Oil from behind the speedo drive gears is pumped by the turning of the rear output flange. It is pumped forward within the transfer case up against the above noted seal.
Note the hole in the shaft between the shaft's sealing surface and the forward edge of the pump gear.
IMG_0310.jpg

Oil is delivered to the region behind the pump by means of a trough that catches oil flung off the front drive gears.
The hole in the shaft intersects a hole drilled down the center of the shaft. This hole delivers oil to the bearing that pilots the range box's input and output shafts.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aren't Tacoma's chain driven transfer cases? The U.S. built chain cases almost always have a pump that lubricates various internal parts. A consultation of an FSM might yield the answer.

cydonia-jacc

Observer
Have you searched the subject on RV.net? I know it's come up a few times. Search the "Dinghy Towing" section. I'm pretty sure you can't without a modification.

Braz475

Observer
I work at an RV upgrades and performance shop that deal a lot with setting up tow vehicles. I have access to Remco Mfg. application charts and this is what the list for the 95-08 tacomas

1995 - 2008 Toyota Tacoma 4wd Application Notes
Towable as is if vehicle has a Manual transmission and a Manual transfer case. If you have an Electronic transfer case you need a Drive Shaft Disconnect.

HJ-45

Motorhome magazine has a dighy towing guide for each model year. 2002 thru 2008 are on their website with earlier years available. The info in the guide comes from the owner's manual recommendations, so if it Toyota said not to tow 4 down, it wont be in the guide.
http://www.motorhomemagazine.com/dinghytowingguide/

FWIF, the last yota I towed behind my motorhome was 85 4Runner, 5spd in neutral, TC in neutral. Had no problems for many years.

Ultimately, Toyota always addresses 4down towing in the owner's manual. ie for my FJC it says not to do it even though I have a MT and a neutral position in the TC.

Photog

Explorer
According to the Motor Home Magazine, the only Toyota truck or SUV that can be fla-towed is the RAV4.

But Remco says it is OK.Hmmmm.:smilies27

Last edited:

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
I looked it up in my Owners Manual, it states Dinghy Towing is a no-no. I forget the exact wording but any towing where the wheel roll was not recommended. The pictures showed flat beds or "normal" tow trucks with wheel dollys where the wheels would roll.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan