Found a Bantam M100 trailer

slimtwo

Adventurer
I have been searching for so long for a decent jeep trailer for camping. And when I wasn’t able to find one (in my area at least) I decided to build my own. Well two weeks ago I found this one by chance, when my wife and I were going to see some family in the mountains, and I spotted this trailer. Long story short, I bought it ($900). The shell is from a mini truck, and they cut a section out of the middle and fiberglassed it back together. I still want to build a trailer, but for now, I will work on this one.

One question I have is this. I have an 05 TJ, and the lug pattern is 5 on 4 ½. This trailer is 5 on 5 ½. Can I change the hubs out? And if so, where can I get the right hubs?

Next, I heard something about reversing the axle under the springs to get more lift. What about the shock mount location, how do I fix that?
Your help is greatly appreciated.

Happy trails!

Bruce

DSCN2195.jpg

DSCN2196.jpg

DSCN2197.jpg

DSCN2198.jpg

TacoDell

Adventurer
congratulations on your find... :)

It doesn't appear to be an M100... (IMO, looking at yer pics)

any data tags/info ?

one or two drain plugs on the floor ?

U might look for the ACM#
...if you had interest of learning the serial # and MFG'r

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Hey wow Bruce!! Good for you!!

Congrats and can't to see the build thread...you have waited a long time, nice find !:victory:

Pat

Flyfishjeep

Adventurer
It looks to be an M100, but someone has added the tailgate and chenged up the landing leg and lunette area. The tub looks right for an M100 with the 4 tie downs on each side.

/dev/m416

/dev/yj tow vehicle
On the spring over, imagine swapping the axle end-for-end so the spring locating holes are now facing up. Your brake line should still be facing forward. Depending on your needs, new shock mounts can be welded on, and you can measure to purchase appropriate new ones.

Nice find!

slimtwo

Adventurer
Unfortunately there are no ID tags. There is one drain plug, in the right rear of the trailer. If it is not an M100, then what would you say it is?

Bruce

congratulations on your find... :)

It doesn't appear to be an M100... (IMO, looking at yer pics)

any data tags/info ?

one or two drain plugs on the floor ?

U might look for the ACM#
...if you had interest of learning the serial # and MFG'r

slimtwo

Adventurer
It looks to be an M100, but someone has added the tailgate and chenged up the landing leg and lunette area. The tub looks right for an M100 with the 4 tie downs on each side.

The tailgait has been changed, however, it looks like it originally came with a gate. I am basing that on the lip and reenforcing on the rear of the tub.

Bruce

slimtwo

Adventurer
On the spring over, imagine swapping the axle end-for-end so the spring locating holes are now facing up. Your brake line should still be facing forward. Depending on your needs, new shock mounts can be welded on, and you can measure to purchase appropriate new ones.

Nice find!

That makes sense, so right becomes left and left becomes right (as far as the hubs go). Thank you for your input!

Bruce

TacoDell

Adventurer
all the military WWII and post war 1/4T trailers have four tie downs per side.
Most civy trailers had 3... 4 per side is much rarer and was only found on the earliest Bantam TC - 3's

Unfortunately there are no ID tags. There is one drain plug, in the right rear of the trailer. If it is not an M100, then what would you say it is?

Bruce
MBT's had the single drain plug...

M100's have two drain plugs and carry handles on all four corners.(exterior)

the tailgate looks to be a home brew

MBT:
Stamped ACM#'s should always be found at the underside of the frame, at/near, or possibly hidden by the driver's, forward spring perch

M100:
Stamped ACM#'s on M100's many times do not exist

Would be interesting to find out what year your MBT is ?

yer ACM# is the key to all the answers ;)

Last edited:

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
Straight brake handle, no grab handles on the corners, birdsmouth reinforcement in the tongue, single drain plug. Appears to be a T3. Nice find.

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
What T3 means is that you found the civilian version of the 100. Bantam was trying to keep from going belly up and produced them in small numbers after the war.

TacoDell

Adventurer
got bow pockets ?

T3
Bantam with 4 tie down hooks per side.

TC-3early.jpg

T3-C
3 tie down hooks per side.

TC-3late.jpg

No matter how it's sliced... OP's trailer doesn't sport an original T3 - C tailgate

The TC - 3 is not based off the M100 as that didn't come around until Korea
It was based on the MBT's

Last edited:

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
Civvy version of the T3 is the T3-C. The T3-C has the tailgate but no parking brake, but does have stake pockets on the inside of the bed sides.

slimtwo

Adventurer
I didn't realize that there were so many versions of this trailer. It seems you guys really know your stuff. It doesn’t really matter to me which version the trailer is from the stand point of using it, however, I do want to know the correct description of the trailer when I’m talking about it.
So I know the trailer has the single drain, located at the pass rear corner of the tub. It has a slightly curved brake handle, and it has (4) tie down hooks on the exterior sides of the trailer. What I need to verify is whether or not the trailer had an original T-gate, but we do know that the existing gate is a replacement (its 3/16 thick, and heavy!).
On a side note, I need to end up with a 5 on 4 ½ lug pattern to match my jeep. A friend told me of a wheel adapter that will take care of that. The only issue is the diameter of the hub, which is larger. It’s like a floating axle (3 ½ to 4 inches in diameter) so my wheels won’t fit over it. Any suggestions?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998