Fullsize Diesel Questions

Booner

Observer
I don't think a full set of injectors for a 5.9 Cummins can be found new (or rebuilt) for 600.00.

Now a full set of just the 100hp nozzles, not complete bodies, would go for 600.00 on sale .... maybe.

Just saying, because I would purchase a complete set of injectors for my 05 Cummins as a spare set , at that price.

I believe that poster was talking about injectors for a 12-valve Cummins. My 2006 CR Cummins uses injectors that cost quite a bit more :(

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I believe that poster was talking about injectors for a 12-valve Cummins. My 2006 CR Cummins uses injectors that cost quite a bit more :(

Yahtzeee! Common rail injectors are waaaay more expensive. I was talking 12v. My apologies for not being more specific. CR 5.9 injectors used to be affordable until Cummins realized people were changing nozzles. They are now made so you can't easily take them apart and change nozzles.

Daniel Altman

You can find a good used Ford F250-350 gasser for cheaper. Especially in Texas and most are in good shape with little to no rust. Can pick up a 12v Cummins motor for around $1000-$2500 and it is a EASY swap into a Ford.

Although, I like the older 12v Dodge trucks myself. I've got a 98 12v with 334,000 miles and when the motor was taken out for a rebuild at 323,000 the main bearings looked almost brand new. Nothing wrong with the motor at the time, I just add lots of god fast goodies for racing and sled pulling. 98' is retired from ranch duty. The 98' towed most of its life. I just recently picked up a MINT 96 with 160,000 miles from and old couple that used it to towed the rv and boat they had. I only paid $8500 for it. Look in the southern states and you'll find some good deals! RV'ers are always selling good trucks in the south for decent prices. Dont worry about the Cummins with an Auto. In stock form with stock power and regular service they will last a long time. Excessive heat will kill an auto though, believe it or not, Dodge has a GOOD stock cooling system for the autos in the diesel. If power is increased I highly recommend upgrading the auto trans with a good builder such as HTS, DTT, Geroend Brothers, Suncoast. AVOID ATS! ATS makes great products but the tranny's they build are junk IMO (personal experience). I run a fully built DTT in my 98' and towing setup in my 96' and have had zero problems. If the CTD route is one to take, get the 4x4 Posi-Lock kit for the front axle. Just my .02.

Daniel

Last edited:

Revco

Adventurer
Find an early '98 Dodge 2500 or 3500 with the Cummins and manual trans. The 96-98's are the best of the Dodge diesels, but the early '98s got a quad cab, redesigned interior, and kept the infamous 12-Valve Cummins. Low mileage '98 trucks will be in your price range and will outlast, outperform, and get better mileage than any newer truck in the same price range. The mechanical injection is so much easier to deal with than the later computer controlled engines.

Another option would be a 99-03 F250/F350 with the 7.3 Powerstroke. They come in at a close 2nd place behind the Cummins, but the Fords offer a full crew cab over the Dodge's "quad cab".

Personally, I'd stay away from any 03+ Powerstrokes, 99+ Cummins, and any Duramax, but that's just me.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Isn't that the definition of insanity?

Yes it is.

But as long as the trucks make money. And can go 175,000 miles without major service. Then they'll keep buying them and trading at 175,000 miles. They also have a tendency to like vans. And Ford and Dodge haven't had a competitive van for many years. That might be part of why our trucks are mostly GM's as well. Because the Ford E350 is unsafe to drive and tow with, and the Dodge van's were just terrible.

They don't care if they fall apart and are generally junk when they're turned in. And my Chevys have been flawless except for pathetic poor quality interiors. So I'm throwing off the curve since my rides never break down.

Booner

Observer
Yes it is.

But as long as the trucks make money. And can go 175,000 miles without major service. Then they'll keep buying them and trading at 175,000 miles. They also have a tendency to like vans. And Ford and Dodge haven't had a competitive van for many years. That might be part of why our trucks are mostly GM's as well. Because the Ford E350 is unsafe to drive and tow with, and the Dodge van's were just terrible.

They don't care if they fall apart and are generally junk when they're turned in. And my Chevys have been flawless except for pathetic poor quality interiors. So I'm throwing off the curve since my rides never break down.

Sorry to hear that about the Ford E350 :eek: Most of the ambulances hereabouts are Ford Vans (or cutaway vans) with diesel power. My son is a paramedic and spends LOTS of time in a Ford diesel van.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Sorry to hear that about the Ford E350 :eek: Most of the ambulances hereabouts are Ford Vans (or cutaway vans) with diesel power. My son is a paramedic and spends LOTS of time in a Ford diesel van.

Those aren't E350's. I think they're more like short framed F550's with the squatty van cab. I'm talking about a plain jane SRW E350 whale tail work van. Mine tried to kill me a few times. I'm fairly sure the ambulances aren't even assembled at the van plant. I think the body is shipped and the ambulance is built across the street.

I'm certain that the ambulances actually handle ok, the last one I drove did ok. It was actually converted into a really cool electricians tool truck/van thing.

78Bronco

Explorer
The biggest drawback with the diesels is the maintenance costs, whereas, the gassers drawback is fuel economy.

Booner

Observer
The biggest drawback with the diesels is the maintenance costs, whereas, the gassers drawback is fuel economy.

I agree, however my diesel pick-up isn't my DD, so my maintenance costs are somewhat lower due to less mileage/wear-and-tear. My truck is more for work and recreation. My Subaru Forester handles the daily transportation grind. My CJ-5 is the street-legal off-road toy :smiley_drive:.

City Cruzer

Daniel Altman - what's it take to swap a 12v into an OBs F350? I have a 96 C350 Centurion PSD and I've considered the 12V but don't understand what needs to happen with the trans, and electronics.

by the way, i new to this forum.

arveetek

Adventurer
I'm sad that the big 3 don't make diesel SUV's anymore. GM made the most, with tons of Blazers and Suburbans over the years. But after the introduction of the Duramax, they dropped the SUV option completely. After Ford quit the Excursion, you're pretty much left with a full size truck as your only choice.

I love my diesel Tahoe. Yes, the 6.5L is quirky, but I have over 240K miles and she runs better than new.

I just wish more diesel options were available in the US. Everyone else on the globe has tons of diesel choices. Of course, everyone else on the globe pays a lot more for fuel too!

Casey

poriggity

Explorer
My 04.5 CTD HPCR is at almost 75k miles with no problems. If I had it to do over again, I'd buy the same truck. Love it!
Scott

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78