Fuso FG not made for off-road

Ron Lucero of Mitsubishi Kearny Mesa Truck Centres informs:
"The pivot is just too much flex for the Fuso chassis. In any event, this chassis was not designed for the style of off road they are being used for. They were designed more for extreme construction sites."

Also the Fuso Szulc has proven the point Ron Lucero makes is true.
Within two years the chassis of the Fuso Szulc is twisted and deformed.
If nothing is done it will break just as the chassis of Doug Hackney's Fuso FG did.

These days the Fuso Szulc has its chassis changed from flexible to rigid.
This process is documented and explanations and images can be seen on:
www.michelszulckrzyzanowski.blogspot.com

haven

Expedition Leader
Wow! This is not sounding good at all. Michel, thanks for taking the time to document the repair. It will help others avoid the problems you are experiencing. Do you know the weight of your vehicle? How many miles have you driven in the camper?

Perhaps our Australian members can comment on how long the Fuso FG chassis lasts when used as an off-road tour bus.

Chip Haven

kerry

Expedition Leader
I don't see the pictures either. Do you mean it will be documented as opposed to already being documented?
Yes, the info on weight, miles and the kinds of roads you have been driving in addition to the kind of pivot mount you have would be very helpful.
Seems odd that the Aussies have been using FG's under what appears to be pretty extreme conditions for quite a few years apparently without these kinds of problems.

haven

Expedition Leader
I think the blog will display photos and description of the repair next week, after the work starts.

kerry

Expedition Leader
I'm pretty sure Ron Lucero posts on here and is very familiar with the Hackney's problems in addition to Michel's problems, so I wouldn't dismiss his opinion lightly. I'm pretty sure no construction body on a Fuso will have a pivot frame, so the issue could be the mounting systems and not the frame itself. I'd be willing to bet that most construction bodies spread the load over the full length of the Fuso frame which could make a big difference. I think some Aussie designs do a similar thing.

Last edited:

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Seems odd that the Aussies have been using FG's under what appears to be pretty extreme conditions for quite a few years apparently without these kinds of problems.
+2 on that. The Aussie operations sure seem to have the right-stuff (brains and equipment) to make the FGs work fine off-road. I think if it was a source of problems, they would have gone to something else a long time ago. Most of the OZ operators are making money with their trucks, not for private travel, so I am sure they are more concerned then anyone else. It is one thing to have your own rig broke down, but a far greater problem to have 20 paying customers stranded with the bad PR that brings.

The Hackney have been on as they describe 'market roads'. Surly tough roads, but not Moab or the Rubicon. So rough roads, not off road.

As other have said, and discussed in other threads, the mounting systems seem to need a good evaluation. Unimogs were designed for pivoting beds, I don't think FGs were. If the trucks are being used outside the manufacture's design specification, it is up to the operator to makes sure it comes together, such as the Aussies have done.

In following MSK's built and posts, it seems this truck has been a series of problems, from built, to brakes, to frames. I don't think I would judge the whole FG series on this truck.
There is an early FG locally that has 300000+ miles on it as a welding truck for logging equipment. Rough roads and hard work. It looks fine from frame to body, and just yesterday passed me at 75 mph on the freeway (Heck I didn't know they could go that fast). But a fully 'normal' flatbed with welders etc mounted to it, not a pivot in sight.

Long live FGs!

slooowr6

Explorer
+3 on that
As other have said, and discussed in other threads, the mounting systems seem to need a good evaluation. Unimogs were designed for pivoting beds, I don't think FGs were. If the trucks are being used outside the manufacture's design specification, it is up to the operator to makes sure it comes together, such as the Aussies have done.

This can not be more true. Any engineering design are set to meet certain spec. If it's going to be use outside of the spec then it's up to the individual to make sure the potential issues are address.

Terrainist

Explorer
Looking forward to seeing what the frame looks like now and what is done to it to 'fix' it ! .....

For someone like myself wanting to get an FG for an off pavement camper platform, the people that have 'gone before' and post to this website, and this website, are valuable beyond estimation.

Last edited:

engineer

Adventurer
Wow! This is not sounding good at all. Michel, thanks for taking the time to document the repair. It will help others avoid the problems you are experiencing. Do you know the weight of your vehicle? How many miles have you driven in the camper?

Perhaps our Australian members can comment on how long the Fuso FG chassis lasts when used as an off-road tour bus.

Chip Haven

Ours lasted until 1/2 way through the second season, mind you the coorugations are horrendus at times on the Cape. it's the pissy 4mm chassis, if they made it a 6mm, it would be better, but also tare more. If they made it out of spring steel, it would last longer, but then it would cost more.
I'm afraid there is no easy solution, we had to strip ours, remove cross members and insert 4mm internal chassis rails.
We gave ours some treatment, over rough stuff fully and sometimes over loaded flat out and driven hard. When I think of what they go through, they are ok for what they are. Cheaper than an M.A.N., easier to repair than a UNIMOG, spare parts at local butcher shop (well, almost).
Best of luck Micheal.
Engineer

haven

Expedition Leader
The following is pure speculation on my part.

I think the Fuso FG / Canter 4x4 with dual rear wheels
was originally introduced as a vehicle with 12,000 lbs
gross vehicle weight rating. The single rear wheel model
was designed for 9,500 lbs, if I remember correctly.

Perhaps when the FG / Canter was upgraded to today's
14,000 lbs rating, the steel used in the frame members
remained at the original thickness. If true, then it would
help explain the deformation of the frame that Michel and
Doug Hackney experienced.

Chip Haven

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Wow. What a minefield this topic is and rightly so. Some very expensive lessons learnt and frustrating interruptions to travel plans. Tempers are bound to be flared.

Supposedly Ron said >>>
The pivot is just too much flex for the Fuso chassis In any event, this chassis was not designed for the style of off road they are being used for. They were designed more for extreme construction sites.

For the umpteenth time, if you use a pivot frame on an FG you are tempting fate. If the chassis fails the pivot design was the problem to begin with. Not the FG chassis.

As for the chassis not being designed for offroad conditions, sure we do some major modifications to improve them, but if you saw what the Rural Fire Brigades do with them here in virtually standard trim you wouldn’t be saying that. They really give them a hard time and have a 1000’s of litres of water sloshing around in the back as well. I’m guessing that they are by far the biggest users of FG’s. Not sure how true it was but I was told recently that there are some 600 units in the State of NSW alone.

MSK >>>
Also the Fuso Szulc has proven the point Ron Lucero makes is true. Within two years the chassis of the Fuso Szulc is twisted and deformed.

It doesn’t prove this at all. To me it PROVES that the pivot design was the problem from the beginning. To my knowledge there a no pivot designs in Oz anywhere and I have also never heard of a FG chassis twisting or deforming. Not saying it doesn’t happen but I’ve never heard of this. The damage sustained from extreme offroad use is normally cracking near cross members and suspension points. The only way they can twist or deform is if the body isn’t supported along the full length of the chassis. A pivot cannot accomplish this. This what is proven to me anyway.

Chip >>>

Hi Chip, Typically the operators sell our buses off after 4 years but there are some still running around that are much, much older than this. It depends on the economics of the operation more than anything. Resale value of the vehicles, lease agreements, etc, etc.

Most of them never, again I say "never" experience any chassis failure / faults however there are 2 main areas of operation that are a common exception to this. Fraser Island and Cape York. The punishment that these trucks are exposed to would far exceed anything a private operator could deal out to a truck no matter how adventurous they think they are.

The corrugations on Cape York go on forever. One 2 week trip up Cape York in a conventional 4x4 will cut years off it’s service life and these FG’s do it constantly for 6 months or more in the season. Long ago the roads used to be littered with old trailers and caravans that had fallen apart along the way and then been abandoned. I believe the endless corrugations actually “work harden” the steel which helps to induce the cracking. The better you can make the suspension here, the more you can isolate it and therefore extend the life of the truck.

As far as the beach goes, salt actually alters the metallurgy of the steel. That and the obvious corrosion problem are therefore the main factors in any chassis problems. As an example, a standard exhaust will last about 6 months on the beach and brakes may need a full rebuild after only 3 months. I would call this an “extreme” environment. Also so they are constantly wet so wherever you try and reinforce them with plates, they tend to corrode more at that point.

With most of these operators, when the FG has had enough to remain viable they simply remove the bus body and fit it to a new truck. The old ones are often sold off to farmers or as campers. Bottom line though is that (to my knowledge) failure of the chassis as described by MSK is not seen even under these extreme conditions.

Kerry >>>
I'd be willing to bet that most construction bodies spread the load over the full length of the Fuso frame which could make a big difference.

Hi Kerry, Yep.

Mog >>>
I think if it was a source of problems, they would have gone to something else a long time ago. Most of the OZ operators are making money with their trucks, not for private travel, so I am sure they are more concerned then anyone else. It is one thing to have your own rig broke down, but a far greater problem to have 20 paying customers stranded with the bad PR that brings.

One of our customers has just bought their 27th FG for the beach. It’ll be the first FG84 on Fraser. Another Fraser operator is replacing a fleet of five 200 series Cruisers with FG’s. They are definitely the weapon of choice for outback / eco tourism. In that 16 to 20 seat size anyway, which can usually get into more tight places than the bigger units do.

Mog >>>
Unimogs were designed for pivoting beds, I don't think FGs were. If the trucks are being used outside the manufacture's design specification, it is up to the operator to makes sure it comes together, such as the Aussies have done.
Absolutely

Engineer >>>
Ours lasted until 1/2 way through the second season; mind you the corrugations are horrendous at times on the Cape……….When I think of what they go through, they are ok for what they are.

Mate, you probably have more miles behind the wheel of a Canter than all of us put together. BTW I have seen one of ours (with the full suspension package) after 4 seasons up the Cape and yes, the webs around the suspension points had had a workout but the flanges were still perfect and the repairs were straightforward enough. Body mounts were still perfect too and so the old body just went straight on the replacement truck.

BTW2 I'll be up the Daintree for a family wedding in July. Will try and catch up if you're around.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Wow. What a minefield this topic is and rightly so. Some very expensive lessons learnt and frustrating interruptions to travel plans. Tempers are bound to be flared.

Supposedly Ron said >>>
The pivot is just too much flex for the Fuso chassis In any event, this chassis was not designed for the style of off road they are being used for. They were designed more for extreme construction sites.

For the umpteenth time, if you use a pivot frame on an FG you are tempting fate. If the chassis fails the pivot design was the problem to begin with. Not the FG chassis.

As for the chassis not being designed for offroad conditions, sure we do some major modifications to improve them, but if you saw what the Rural Fire Brigades do with them here in virtually standard trim you wouldn’t be saying that. They really give them a hard time and have a 1000’s of litres of water sloshing around in the back as well. I’m guessing that they are by far the biggest users of FG’s. Not sure how true it was but I was told recently that there are some 600 units in the State of NSW alone.

MSK >>>
Also the Fuso Szulc has proven the point Ron Lucero makes is true. Within two years the chassis of the Fuso Szulc is twisted and deformed.

It doesn’t prove this at all. To me it PROVES that the pivot design was the problem from the beginning. To my knowledge there a no pivot designs in Oz anywhere and I have also never heard of a FG chassis twisting or deforming. Not saying it doesn’t happen but I’ve never heard of this. The damage sustained from extreme offroad use is normally cracking near cross members and suspension points. The only way they can twist or deform is if the body isn’t supported along the full length of the chassis. A pivot cannot accomplish this. This what is proven to me anyway.

Chip >>>

Hi Chip, Typically the operators sell our buses off after 4 years but there are some still running around that are much, much older than this. It depends on the economics of the operation more than anything. Resale value of the vehicles, lease agreements, etc, etc.

Most of them never, again I say "never" experience any chassis failure / faults however there are 2 main areas of operation that are a common exception to this. Fraser Island and Cape York. The punishment that these trucks are exposed to would far exceed anything a private operator could deal out to a truck no matter how adventurous they think they are.

The corrugations on Cape York go on forever. One 2 week trip up Cape York in a conventional 4x4 will cut years off it’s service life and these FG’s do it constantly for 6 months or more in the season. Long ago the roads used to be littered with old trailers and caravans that had fallen apart along the way and then been abandoned. I believe the endless corrugations actually “work harden” the steel which helps to induce the cracking. The better you can make the suspension here, the more you can isolate it and therefore extend the life of the truck.

As far as the beach goes, salt actually alters the metallurgy of the steel. That and the obvious corrosion problem are therefore the main factors in any chassis problems. As an example, a standard exhaust will last about 6 months on the beach and brakes may need a full rebuild after only 3 months. I would call this an “extreme” environment. Also so they are constantly wet so wherever you try and reinforce them with plates, they tend to corrode more at that point.

With most of these operators, when the FG has had enough to remain viable they simply remove the bus body and fit it to a new truck. The old ones are often sold off to farmers or as campers. Bottom line though is that (to my knowledge) failure of the chassis as described by MSK is not seen even under these extreme conditions.

Kerry >>>
I'd be willing to bet that most construction bodies spread the load over the full length of the Fuso frame which could make a big difference.

Hi Kerry, Yep.

Mog >>>
I think if it was a source of problems, they would have gone to something else a long time ago. Most of the OZ operators are making money with their trucks, not for private travel, so I am sure they are more concerned then anyone else. It is one thing to have your own rig broke down, but a far greater problem to have 20 paying customers stranded with the bad PR that brings.

One of our customers has just bought their 27th FG for the beach. It’ll be the first FG84 on Fraser. Another Fraser operator is replacing a fleet of five 200 series Cruisers with FG’s. They are definitely the weapon of choice for outback / eco tourism. In that 16 to 20 seat size anyway, which can usually get into more tight places than the bigger units do.

Mog >>>
Unimogs were designed for pivoting beds, I don't think FGs were. If the trucks are being used outside the manufacture's design specification, it is up to the operator to makes sure it comes together, such as the Aussies have done.
Absolutely

Engineer >>>
Ours lasted until 1/2 way through the second season; mind you the corrugations are horrendous at times on the Cape……….When I think of what they go through, they are ok for what they are.

Mate, you probably have more miles behind the wheel of a Canter than all of us put together. BTW I have seen one of ours (with the full suspension package) after 4 seasons up the Cape and yes, the webs around the suspension points had had a workout but the flanges were still perfect and the repairs were straightforward enough. Body mounts were still perfect too and so the old body just went straight on the replacement truck.

BTW2 I'll be up the Daintree for a family wedding in July. Will try and catch up if you're around.

engineer

Adventurer
There are several 3 point mounted fire tenders on the rear of dual cab fg637s.
These were made by Giblins motor bodies out of Aircraft grade Aluminium, hence the need for the 3 point mounts. Brass trunions were used and it was a great success. Mind you, Giblin was building 4wd bus bodies before i was born.
He built a body on the back of a ford F250 4wd back in the 70's, i'll try and dig a photo out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears