Gladiator - Good/Bad?

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Nice.

I am looking hard at them still. I test drove two JT Diesels this weekend and they were nice. I was mainly worried about the interior space with the kids in car seats but they actually had some decent room, more than the Raptor Supercab I test drove. I've gotten the sign off from the wife, so I just need to decide.

Its def a nice truck and checks a lot of boxes but the overheating does worry me a bit. I am also in UT and I already fought that battle with my 2014 F150 Ecoboost so I know how much it can suck. The thing is, I already fight the battle. My F150 has to slow down on climbs because it overheats and my Lexus GX slows down on climbs because it doesn't have enough power. Short of getting an F250, I think I will always kinda fight that battle.
An ecoboost should fly up mountains without overheating- my 2.7 did really well in Colorado.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Ford didnt start using J2807 until 2015 at which time the radiator in the F150 increased in frontal area by 20%. But the GCWR of the 2015 F150 stayed the same as my 2014 at 17100 lbs and stayed there until the 2018 F150 got chassis upgrades and an even bigger radiator. So a 2018+ F150 with Max-tow would be a very capable truck with anything 10k lbs and under I would think.

You gotta understand too, I am towing is some pretty harsh environments(UT/WY/ID/MT at 6500+' in high temperatures) and, even though my trailer is pretty light, it has an incredible amount of aerodynamic drag. So when I'm cutting that thing through the air at 65mph into a 30mph headwind and its 95+ degrees out, my truck is having to run at 200+ hp non-stop just on flat ground. Once I hit a grade I am over 300 hp. And thats while getting 20% less cooling air mass through the radiator because I am at 6500'.

Not for nothing, but your 6.0 wouldnt even be making 300 hp in that environment. It'd be lucky to be making 275 hp and you'd be in the right lane doing 50-55mph with me in my Ecoboost. You because your engine lacks power and me because my engine doesnt have enough cooling.

But also, J2807 only says the truck has to maintain 45mph up the Davis Dam grade without any kinda of issues. 45mph is a pretty low bar. That's why 250hp half ton diesels get rated for 12000 lbs because they can just keep above the minimum speed.

View attachment 814621
I towed my 32' 10,000 lb bumper pull across Wyoming coming back from a trip. Must have been a 20mph headwind ALL DAY. The truck was revving between 3.5 and 4.5 all day to maintain 55mph but I've never seen the transmission temps go over 180F. I think the rpm's cooked a serpentine belt idler, it got a bit squeaky.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
View attachment 814597
Relevant page in the pre-recall owner’s manual. So basically avoid B5-B20 but adjust service intervals if you have to run it, and no more than B20.

I’m very curious to see the new addendum post-recall. I know they now require a fuel filter change every oil change, instead of recommending it every other oil change.

It’s also complicated by “renewable” diesel, usually seen as R99 around here. Apparently this is more similar to petrodiesel in terms of lubricity, flow, cleanliness etc so requires no adjustment. But the pumps have to have a legal disclaimer saying something like “more than 20% biomass-derived etc” which can confuse matters between Bxx and Rxx fuels

For me, if I couldn’t have gotten the Gladiator with a diesel, I don’t think I would have bought a Jeep at all. People with similar builds to me (ACCC, 37s, armor, lift, etc) get 12-14 mpg real-world on gas and I just couldn’t live with that. I’m getting 23 best-case, and ~19 avg. I did install an aux tank to help buffer supply issues. In practice I use it more to double up when fuel is cheaper (I drive by a lot of Indian land on the way to my destinations)

(the torque is spectacular too! Absolutely no need to regear for 37s, at least when not towing, it’s still very fast when I put my foot down, and still sees 8th gear on the flats)

Here's the additions you get after the recall:
400526392_10233658262577855_1293852601980155130_n.jpg

400613713_10233660767440475_5024690156626909684_n.jpg
400235821_10233660768360498_3442556026496426293_n.jpg

I think it's clear they underestimated hoe different diesel is in the US compared to Europe.

-Dan

pdxfrogdog

Adventurer
View attachment 814597
Relevant page in the pre-recall owner’s manual. So basically avoid B5-B20 but adjust service intervals if you have to run it, and no more than B20.

I’m very curious to see the new addendum post-recall. I know they now require a fuel filter change every oil change, instead of recommending it every other oil change.

It’s also complicated by “renewable” diesel, usually seen as R99 around here. Apparently this is more similar to petrodiesel in terms of lubricity, flow, cleanliness etc so requires no adjustment. But the pumps have to have a legal disclaimer saying something like “more than 20% biomass-derived etc” which can confuse matters between Bxx and Rxx fuels

For me, if I couldn’t have gotten the Gladiator with a diesel, I don’t think I would have bought a Jeep at all. People with similar builds to me (ACCC, 37s, armor, lift, etc) get 12-14 mpg real-world on gas and I just couldn’t live with that. I’m getting 23 best-case, and ~19 avg. I did install an aux tank to help buffer supply issues. In practice I use it more to double up when fuel is cheaper (I drive by a lot of Indian land on the way to my destinations)

(the torque is spectacular too! Absolutely no need to regear for 37s, at least when not towing, it’s still very fast when I put my foot down, and still sees 8th gear on the flats)
I’m interested in what you did for an aux tank… could you provide a little more info?

fourfa

Observer

fourfa

Observer
Pretty easy to access, under a bracket just inside the driver’s side frame. Remove the cover with 3 10mm bolts, then unscrew the cap. About $60 for OE Mopar filters. Oil changes for the ecodiesel aren’t cheap, between somewhat uncommon API SN 5W-40 oil, $80 OE oil filters, and now fuel filters with every oil change (before the fuel pump recall, was recommended every other oil change).

Zybane

I traded in my Gladiator Rubicon Diesel, I just don't trust it in remote locations anymore even after the fuel pump recall. They put so many "escape clauses" in that manual supplement, IMO they are expecting the fuel pumps to continue to fail. I could only imagine the tow bill being 50 miles from the nearest paved road on difficult terrain, and 200 miles from the nearest Jeep dealer. And then paying $10K for a new engine because they used one of the escape clauses.

skrypj

An ecoboost should fly up mountains without overheating- my 2.7 did really well in Colorado.

Everyone ive ever talked to with an Ecoboost F150 here in Utah has had issues. They got better over the years but still could overheat.

Was that while towing?

Looks like @skrypj had a 1st gen Ecoboost. Possible the overheating issue was present then and solved later on?

The first gens were really bad. 2015’s were a little better due to the larger radiator. 2018+ were even better.

But still, i know several people here in Utah with 2018+ max tow trucks who have had overheating issues.

MOAK

Adventurer
60,000 miles and 2.5 years in on a 2020 Gladiator Sport S (3.6/Auto) and have had no issues. Mild build with a focused on travel. Best vehicle I have owned.
View attachment 752027
But it’s only 60,000 miles. I hope you’ll get back to us when it is at 160,000 miles. ( tongue firmly in cheek here, it’s a great platform to ditch the pickup bed & drop a camper onto it. )

D45

Explorer
My 2012 F150 had the 3.5L Eco

I loved the power and everything about the truck, until 97,000 when it sounded like the motor was rattling apart internally

It was totalled shortly thereafter

deserteagle56

Adventurer
Everyone ive ever talked to with an Ecoboost F150 here in Utah has had issues. They got better over the years but still could overheat

??? Perhaps Ford sent all their lemons to Utah? I have a 2016 F150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost, bought new. It spends most of its miles with a trailer hooked to it. So almost 8 years with the truck now and it has been flawless - all I do is change oil/filters and rotate the tires. Temperature gauge (engine and transmission) has never been out of the normal range. Being an F150 owner I spend a lot of time on the F150 forums where everyone bitches about what's gone wrong with their F150. Just checked again and there is NOT ONE recent post about an Ecoboost overheating.

skrypj

??? Perhaps Ford sent all their lemons to Utah? I have a 2016 F150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost, bought new. It spends most of its miles with a trailer hooked to it. So almost 8 years with the truck now and it has been flawless - all I do is change oil/filters and rotate the tires. Temperature gauge (engine and transmission) has never been out of the normal range. Being an F150 owner I spend a lot of time on the F150 forums where everyone bitches about what's gone wrong with their F150. Just checked again and there is NOT ONE recent post about an Ecoboost overheating.
2218 post about overheating. Tons of different people with all years and options of trucks. You'll find a ton of posts from me in there trying to remedy my situation.

The F150forum.com sucks TBH if thats what your are talking about. The people there are obnoxious. I would seriously recommend F150Ecoboost.net, its a pretty small, but very knowledgeable group. Everyone is mellow and just wants to be helpful.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998