Gladiator - Good/Bad?

skrypj

But it’s only 60,000 miles. I hope you’ll get back to us when it is at 160,000 miles. ( tongue firmly in cheek here, it’s a great platform to ditch the pickup bed & drop a camper onto it. )

I just wanna point out that, since I got my Chevy Bolt, it would take me about 30 years to hit 160,000 miles. Not all of us care. My F150 is almost 9 years old since I bought it and has 116k miles, 8.5 of those years it was our primary vehicle.

If I bought a Gladiator right now with a 5 year/100k mile powertrain warranty, I would get all 5 of those years.

skrypj

Sorry, back on track.

I have a few Jeeps that are in transit that I have identified as winners, but my goodness, the prices are insane. Even with the 15% off msrp plus what the dealers are throwing on top of that(i figure 22% total), a decently equipped Rubicon Ecodiesel is coming out to like $57000.

Thats just the LED lights, cold weather package, leather, and trail cam. I am having a really hard time with that. I have negotiated with two dealers and the are willing to bargain, but that is a LOT of money for a mid-sized truck.

Just to put this in perspective, a 2023 Colorado ZR2 with every option(non-Bison package) is ~$52k MSRP. The Ranger Raptor is supposed to be $55k MSRP but comes fully loaded. The jeeps I am looking at have an MSRP of around $73000. HOW!? That's literally 40% more than the ZR2 for a less well equipped truck.

DoKarider16

Observer
So Jeep is knocking them down 15% and then dealers are throwing 22% back on top? I wonder if that has to do with the rarity of the diesels? It seems like from the online tales I have heard there should be plenty of dealers marking these down. Our local dealer sounds more like yours.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
2218 post about overheating. Tons of different people with all years and options of trucks. You'll find a ton of posts from me in there trying to remedy my situation.

The F150forum.com sucks TBH if thats what your are talking about. The people there are obnoxious. I would seriously recommend F150Ecoboost.net, its a pretty small, but very knowledgeable group. Everyone is mellow and just wants to be helpful.
I tend to head to https://www.f150gen14.com/ for my F150 needs, lol

I guess only relevant if you have a 21+ model. But good forum.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Sorry, back on track.

I have a few Jeeps that are in transit that I have identified as winners, but my goodness, the prices are insane. Even with the 15% off msrp plus what the dealers are throwing on top of that(i figure 22% total), a decently equipped Rubicon Ecodiesel is coming out to like $57000.

Thats just the LED lights, cold weather package, leather, and trail cam. I am having a really hard time with that. I have negotiated with two dealers and the are willing to bargain, but that is a LOT of money for a mid-sized truck.

Just to put this in perspective, a 2023 Colorado ZR2 with every option(non-Bison package) is ~$52k MSRP. The Ranger Raptor is supposed to be $55k MSRP but comes fully loaded. The jeeps I am looking at have an MSRP of around $73000. HOW!? That's literally 40% more than the ZR2 for a less well equipped truck.
Yeah, it's nuts. As much as I wanted a Gladiator it was hard to ignore the premium you pay over a Ranger / Tacoma / Colorado just to be able to take the top and doors off.

skrypj

So Jeep is knocking them down 15% and then dealers are throwing 22% back on top? I wonder if that has to do with the rarity of the diesels? It seems like from the online tales I have heard there should be plenty of dealers marking these down. Our local dealer sounds more like yours.

No, the dealers seem to be throwing 7% discount on themselves in addition to the 15% Jeep is doing, for 22% total. At 22% discount these Jeeps are still coming in at ~$57000.
You can get them cheaper than that, but then there is no hard top, heated seats, led headlights or any of that stuff. Hard top is $2100, cold weather package(heated seats and wheel) is like $1600, Led Lights are $1900, Leather is $2100.

So even a few of those options can easily jack the price up $6000-10000 with minimal effort and before you know it the MSRP is $73000

Meanwhile, a ZR2 comes with all of that, plus the seats are vented, and also has adaptive cruise and other safety features for ~$52k msrp.

So even getting 22-25% off MSRP you are talking a $5000 difference assuming you get no discount on the ZR2.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Sorry, back on track.

And the Colorado/Ranger are going to run on cheaper fuel- cheaper maintenance and not give up anything on power or torque. You really can’t make a business case for a diesel in a midsize- it’s impossible to pencil out.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Sorry, back on track.

Jeez, I was curious so I looked... Ranger Raptor here is 80K!!

Screenshot 2024-01-25 113041.png

Sport S Gladiator (which is the base model here) is 65K! I did add tech pkg, cold weather group, dual top group, LED lights, tow pkg and Selec-Trac... But still... Not near the equipment level of the Ranger and Colorado.

Screenshot 2024-01-25 113209.png

ZR2 seems to come out the winner here: Loaded for 62K.

Screenshot 2024-01-25 113136.png

I was going to build a Tacoma to compare as well, but the 2024 build and price is not up here yet.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
And the Colorado/Ranger are going to run on cheaper fuel- cheaper maintenance and not give up anything on power or torque. You really can’t make a business case for a diesel in a midsize- it’s impossible to pencil out.

Have you driven an EcoDiesel Wrangler or Gladiator?
In my opinion it is by far, BY FAR the best engine Jeep have ever put in the Wrangler. I'm shocked more reviews don't talk about it. Want to pass at 70mph, just go. No gearing down, no revving to the moon, just go.
Want to maintain 75mph up a maintain pass? no problem, just sit in 8th gear at 1500rpm.
It is *nothing* like the 3.6 gasser that was in my Gladiator, like an entirely different vehicle and much, much more enjoyable to drive because of it.

-Dan

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
In my opinion it is by far, BY FAR the best engine Jeep have ever put in the Wrangler. I'm shocked more reviews don't talk about it. Want to pass at 70mph, just go. No gearing down, no revving to the moon, just go.
Want to maintain 75mph up a maintain pass? no problem, just sit in 8th gear at 1500rpm.
It is *nothing* like the 3.6 gasser that was in my Gladiator, like an entirely different vehicle and much, much more enjoyable to drive because of it.

-Dan
I never have no sir. The gas turbo 4 cylinders are like that as well. The GM 4 cylinder basically runs just like the 5.3 liter V8- I’ve run them side by side in the same truck, pretty impressive.

skrypj

Jeez, I was curious so I looked... Ranger Raptor here is 80K!!

View attachment 816802

Sport S Gladiator (which is the base model here) is 65K! I did add tech pkg, cold weather group, dual top group, LED lights, tow pkg and Selec-Trac... But still... Not near the equipment level of the Ranger and Colorado.

View attachment 816803

ZR2 seems to come out the winner here: Loaded for 62K.

View attachment 816804

I was going to build a Tacoma to compare as well, but the 2024 build and price is not up here yet.

Thats strange because the Ranger Raptor here is something like $55.5k but is fully loaded. The only major option is the spray in bed liner.

An optioned out ZR2 is like $52k or 53k.

skrypj

-Dan

I agree, the Ecodiesel is a very nice motor after driving 3 of them.

Cummins_expo

Adventurer
Maybe the Eco has come along way but my 1500 Ram with the ECO ended up becoming a money pit. Beautiful for the first 40k miles then seemed to need something repaired every other month. Almost all of the issues related to the DEF system.

fourfa

Observer
We're currently on the 3rd-gen EcoDiesel in the current JL/JT/Ram/etc. Not that it doesn't have any problems (CP4.2...) but the 1st and 2nd gen motors had a lot more. Curious which one you had in the Ram

(love mine in my JTRD and would not have bought a JT if I couldn't have had the diesel)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online