310 HP @ 5,600 rpm
430 TQ @ 3,000 rpm

2023 Jeep Gladiator
3.0L V6
264 HP @ 3,600 rpm
442 TQ @ 1,400 rpm

Both have 8 speed transmissions?

^This says it all.
I HATE listening to an engine screaming at 3000+ rpm. Even if the noise isn't that bad, just seeing the tach pointing that high stresses me out.

D45

Explorer
So the 3.0L diesel is NA and not even turbocharged?

You can't get the diesel with the manual transmission

The diesel model also weighs an extra 500 pounds and its maximum tow rating is lower than that of a gas-powered Gladiator

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader

The diesel model also weighs an extra 500 pounds and its maximum tow rating is lower than that of a gas-powered Gladiator

The 3.0 eocdiesel is turbocharged.

If you're interested in the tow rating for the Gladiator, it all comes down to cooling. The fascinating Engineering details are in this article from David from his time designing the JL at Jeep :

-Dan

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable

Not sure if you were referring to me. I was just saying that modern small displacement gas turbo engines produce torque at a lower rpm range than NA V8s and you do away with all the complexities of diesels- high pressure fuel pumps, expensive maintenance and fuel, very expensive emissions systems, etc.

skrypj

2023 GMC Canyon / Chevrolet Colorado
2.7L I4 Turbo HO
310 HP @ 5,600 rpm
430 TQ @ 3,000 rpm

2023 Jeep Gladiator
3.0L V6
264 HP @ 3,600 rpm
442 TQ @ 1,400 rpm

Both have 8 speed transmissions?

^This says it all.
I HATE listening to an engine screaming at 3000+ rpm. Even if the noise isn't that bad, just seeing the tach pointing that high stresses me out.

I ended up test driving a 2023 ZR2 and was seriously disappointed with how that engine felt. No way was it making 430 ft-lbs in the real world. I went down to the dealer thinking I would likely be walking away with the truck, so I took my 6400 lb 2014 F150 Ecoboost(the one that made 420 ft-lbs at 2500 rpm) with 35" tires down with me to trade. The ZR2 was 5000 lbs exactly, has 33's, and 430 ft-lbs. I thought it would make my F150 feel like a turd but it was the opposite, I spent most of the test drive trying to get it to do something exciting and couldn't, even in Baja mode. The low end was just weak.

If you watch any of the TFLTruck Ike Gaunlet videos of them towing with the new Colorado they have to spin the crap out of the motor it seems like.

That’s a very low torque curve compared to a NA motor. It’s not diesel low but it’s halfway there.

In theory, it makes 348 ft-lbs at 1500 rpm, and 390 at 2000 rpm. So its actually lower and stronger than the 2.8L Duramax on paper. My test drive suggested otherwise.

deserteagle56

Adventurer
I ended up test driving a 2023 ZR2 and was seriously disappointed with how that engine felt. No way was it making 430 ft-lbs in the real world. I went down to the dealer thinking I would likely be walking away with the truck, so I took my 6400 lb 2014 F150 Ecoboost(the one that made 420 ft-lbs at 2500 rpm) with 35" tires down with me to trade. The ZR2 was 5000 lbs exactly, has 33's, and 430 ft-lbs. I thought it would make my F150 feel like a turd but it was the opposite, I spent most of the test drive trying to get it to do something exciting and couldn't, even in Baja mode. The low end was just weak.

I know exactly what you mean. Bought a 2016 F150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost new and that engine is awesome. Instant power everywhere. Doesn't need to shift down when it comes to a hill. Closest thing to driving a diesel in a gas engine.

lucilius

The Gladiator (Rubicon, V6 Gas) is quite good after 2 years and ~30k mi. I have a truck topper and zero mods currently. Great in snow & ice with studded tires, good offroad on dirt, mud and rocky terrain. Somewhat loud on the highway but who cares. If the engine and trans hold up over time, it will be a great vehicle. My main critique is unnecessary electronics and features. The two-battery configuration (main plus a tiny backup) is not well thought out. The auto start/stop seems to be a bandaid designed to score higher MPG, but is just a nuisance and not at all confidence inspiring in deep winter hinterland of the Rockies and Plains...or anywhere else for that matter. I don't know why the auto industry seems hell bent on adding so many poorly wrought electronic features to vehicles. It is a childish image but you get the impression for every new vehicle, there is a box of a thousand+ microchips dumped on the table by the CEO and engineers are ordered to come up with ways to make the vehicle + driver reliant on each one. Not needed. Look at what all the electronics and "green" engine workarounds have done for most Mercedes, BMW, Audi resale values, not to mention once admired performance&longevity.......and US diesels aren't much better. They are not as reliable and don't last like they used to and when we look back on this time frame in vehicle design, I don't know how much the record will show all this added complexity cleaned things up (chemicals in the air vs battery and electronic waste and needing a new car every few years, etc.). The main outcome will be to (a) have a population conditioned to need a new car every 3-4 years and (b) kill the used car market. I don't see this as an improvement for humans or the environment though it is a simple enough concept. To each his own but for me, designing a straightforward 4x4 utility truck or any other purpose-built vehicle shouldn't be this tough. The Gladiator Rubicon comes close to the ideal, though I suspect I will be engaged in the increasingly popular American vehicle owner pastime of dumbing it down with mods over time. Wish list: Toyota USA needs to bring the US a diesel or gas Prado and/or LC-79, and offer the "Poverty Pack" editions.

skrypj

Just an update. I decided to skip the Gladiator. While I really liked it and enjoyed driving it, there was just too much bad feedback about coolant temperatures and what not towing. I decided I didnt wanna deal with that nonsense since I had already fought that battle with my F150 since the first time I towed.

So instead I bought a 2018 Lexus LX570 with a grown up sized radiator. I towed 950 mile last week with it and it did really well. The 5.7L is a bit stronger than I expected. It doesnt have the low end torque of the Ecoboost or Ecodiesel but rarely ever need to spin more than 3600 rpm climbing grades at 6000'

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
......... I don't know why the auto industry seems hell bent on adding so many poorly wrought electronic features to vehicles. every few years, etc.). The main outcome will be to (a) have a population conditioned to need a new car every 3-4 years and (b) kill the used car market. I don't see this as an improvement for humans or the environment though it is a simple enough concept.

Most likely, the initial plan is to make consumers think they are getting "new, improved, special features while setting them up for break downs and shop time.

Example, did you know a newish Jeep Cherokee Trail Hawk requires a special 12V battery that costs over $200.00, a good, $140.00, 12V Interstate battery won't charge properly and will end up dead on you. Auto builders and dealers are just sophisticated scammers.

gonzoy5

Going on year 4 with what was new to me 2020 Gladiator Rubicon. Came loaded with all the Nannies which have been reliable so far. At 30k miles now and only issue was batteries. Never got stranded but had the ESS stop working both times. Love or hate it, ESS can’t truly be disabled (rigged yes, but never truly gone) so if you want a modern Jeep you’ll be dealing with two batteries. Had them replaced once under warranty. 2nd time I went aftermarket. Nothing fancy, just Autozone Duralast brand. Installed the, both in my driveway in an hour. (The Aux one is the time burglar!) Everyone hates on the Mopar batteries rightfully so as they appear to be garbage. That said I’ve never really had a good OEM battery experience so I swapped them out with that has historically worked for me and am not expecting further issues.

As for the rest of the truck I can’t complain and I’ve never had a Jeep before this one. I’m still on stock height and tire size. Upgraded to Fox Performance 2.0 shocks for a more controlled ride. The difference was night and day. My use is out of Miami, Fl in city/home project/school bus daily activities, or loaded for long camping trips throughout Florida and the Southeast. Have used arguably superior off road capabilities and features to travel up and down the state of Florida, into the mountains of a Georgia and North Carolina, using oem lockers and sway disconnects without worry along the way. Carrying enough gear for family of 3 camping out of Gazelle tent and Keeping everything loaded under the roof line will still get me over 20 mpg on road trips. Less if into block highway headwinds or with a lead foot. Adaptive cruise control and the smooth 8 speed transmission make it an easy drive. The original steering wander from the early reviews was fixed by a TSB for early year models like mine and I think permanently fixed from 2022 onwards. The engine is solid but nothing sexy. Stories of the “dying pentastar” are overblown when you look at the total units of that engine that are out there. I do have the 100k powertrain warranty thought just in case :)

I’m not overly demanding on my vehicles and could probably have a similar experience with many other pickups on the market. But if all the above doesn’t sell you on a Jeep, the first time I took the roof and doors off convinced me there will always be one in my driveway from now on! I’m fine with thinking this truck might last long enough in my driveway to have a “Vintage” tag, but if it doesn’t, it will still likely be followed by another Jeep!

Attachments

• IMG_3763.jpeg
    IMG_3763.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Love or hate it, ESS can’t truly be disabled (rigged yes, but never truly gone) so

With a programmer like JScan you can turn it off in the computer so it thinks it was never there.
Get rid of small battery and never, ever deal with it.

-Dan

deserteagle56

Adventurer
But if all the above doesn’t sell you on a Jeep, the first time I took the roof and doors off convinced me there will always be one in my driveway from now on!
We all have our own reasons for owning a Jeep. I'm old...been a Jeep owner most of my life. Current is a 2006 Wrangler Rubicon. ONLY time I've had my roof off is when I removed it to paint it. Mostly dry, dusty roads around here; take off doors and roof and the cab area will be inundated with dust. Not good to breathe that stuff; I see the side by side drivers wearing special dust masks or even helmets that provide filtered air.

Dust Nevada roadrexpforums2-27-24.jpg

When I want that "open air" experience I get on my motorcycle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior