Great Divide Expedition

Angel?

Adventurer
benedmonson said:
Scott I'm watching it right now! I've wanted to do this route for a long time. Let's put together a trip and recreate it??? We can do the video and stills and the whole bit! All the passes should be clear by next July or so. The trail goes within a mile or so of my house here in Telluride.

Cheers,

I too am interested.

Andrew Walcker

Mod Emeritus
I had to dig this brand spanking new Great Divide Badge out and take a shot of it. I have another one that is affixed to the dash in the Defender.

Funrover

Expedition Leader
I would love to go on this route and am half tempted to do so..... But the video didn't load for me the whole way Did anyone download it?

Funrover

Expedition Leader
I have done a fair amount of the trails they do in the crossing...... However Rollins pass is no longer. There was a tunnel collapse... There was a new road created called Needles eye.... But that has been shut down by the US forest service.... Other than that I believe it is all still smooth sailing. The views from Red cone are spectacular.. and all of SW Colorado is amazing. Black Bear Pass is Beautiful and Bridal veils falls are amazing!! This would really be a great trip for anyone to do! I can show a few pics if others would like!

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Black Bear is indeed very pretty. I was grateful to have the opporunity to go on it this summer at Solihul Society's National Rally. The OffRoving trips that Chip linked to are about as close to the origional thing that has been done since. Even the meals, sponsor gear, and so forth, though they mix things up a bit every year for variety. I'm sure they'll do another trip next year. Here is a video of this year's trip: http://youtube.com/watch?v=AMMYPqp2rS4

Here are a few of my photos from the National Rally on Black Bear Pass:

191483804-L.jpg

191484348-L.jpg

191484469-L.jpg

191484561-L.jpg

191484730-L.jpg

191484746-L.jpg

More here: http://nwoods.smugmug.com/gallery/3315994#P-10-15

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
I remember reading about this trek in print back in the day, it was one of the things that really got me interested in overlanding. That's the first time I've seen the footage of it though. Very cool. I too would be interested in joining up with people if a group is planning to run this. I was trying to do something similar last summer except we weren't starting as far north and had a few different side routes planned before a mechanical gremlin cut our trip short.

Funrover

Expedition Leader
Anyone know where I can get map/list of trails they did? From what I have seen this wouldn't be a bad deal!

kodiak1232003

Adventurer
i know i'm tresspassing in the landy section, but you'll have to grant me a one day pass...kthanxz :D

very cool vid. love to do that in my expo style LJ...

thallca

Observer
Andrew Walcker said:
I had to dig this brand spanking new Great Divide Badge out and take a shot of it. I have another one that is affixed to the dash in the Defender.

I have one of those badges on the tailgate of my 89 Rover.I wish my classic was one of the Great Divide Edition Range Rovers, but it's not. It was a popular thing for the Land Rover dealers to place those badges on the Range Rovers of that era as a marking tie-in to the Great Divide Exp sponsored by Land Rover.

Andrew Walcker

Mod Emeritus
thallca said:
I have one of those badges on the tailgate of my 89 Rover.I wish my classic was one of the Great Divide Edition Range Rovers, but it's not. It was a popular thing for the Land Rover dealers to place those badges on the Range Rovers of that era as a marking tie-in to the Great Divide Exp sponsored by Land Rover.

What were the other options that came with the GD edition? If I remember right it was front bumper and gaurd, special rims and perhaps a roof rack along with the badging? There was a pretty clean GD edition that sold on E-Bay last month for around the 3K mark, I was practicing some serious self restraint!!!

thallca

Observer
Andrew Walcker said:
What were the other options that came with the GD edition? If I remember right it was front bumper and gaurd, special rims and perhaps a roof rack along with the badging?

I think you are right.

thallca

Observer
I really don't understand why more land rover fans don't buy one of the thousands of late model Range Rover classics that are out there in the used market and turn them into a really nice expedition vehicle. We arn't lucky like the Europeans with their thousands of Defenders on the used market, but we do have a large supply of Classics and Discos. If I was to remove the body of my classic and set it next to a 1989 Defender, also with it's body removed, you would be hard pressed to tell them apart.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior