H1N1 Vaccine

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
I assume that is directed at me, but I'm not the one taking the witch's brew in the arm every year. What's so awful about my approach? I'm not saying getting the flu is all peaches and cream, but I also think annual injections of mercury and aluminum don't come without risks, too.

Part of the reason I don't eat Cheetos... We try to avoid junk food in general, we make our own jam, bake our own bread. We ain't perfect granola heads but we try. I do drink store bought beer and lots of it.

Hey buddy, leave Cheetos out of this... don't make it personal...:coffeedrink:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Correct. The vaccines cause our body to manufacture the anti-bodies that fight the specific disease. With the H1N1 vaccine, it causes our body to manufacture the anti-body to the protein that makes up the protective envelope of the H1N1 virus. If we contract H1N1, then the anti-bodies destroy the protective shell of the virus, thus causing the virus to die. This of course, is a very simplistic explanation.
Is this what your body would do normally when exposed to a virus? What is different about exposing your immune system via a vaccine compared from the environment, then?

offroadsubie

Observer
one thing I observed everywhere i go these days, all this panic about the
h1n1 and the vaccines, but I still see 80% of people go to public bathroom and do #1 or #2 and go out the door without washing their hands!!!! :Wow1:

7wt

Expedition Leader
h1n1 and the vaccines, but I still see 80% of people go to public bathroom and do #1 or #2 and go out the door without washing their hands!!!! :Wow1:

You did the math?

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
No kidding. What's nasty is I've seen people do that at work. Dude, I know who you are and I see you in the lunch room and now you are handing me a stack of paper? People sometimes wonder why I keep a bottle of hand sanitizer at my desk. Duh.

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
Is this what your body would do normally when exposed to a virus? What is different about exposing your immune system via a vaccine compared from the environment, then?

Yes, this is what your body would do. However, look at it this way... say it takes your body a week to "naturally" produce the anti-bodies without prior exposure via the vaccine. It takes the H1N1 virus less than 1 day to seriously threaten your life. Not everyone's body can hang on 7 days for their body to produce the anti-body. Prior exposure via the vaccine means you already have the anti-bodies and your body can begin fighting immediately.

So as you can see, time plays a factor, which is especially important with the H1N1 virus.

offroadsubie

Observer
No kidding. What's nasty is I've seen people do that at work. Dude, I know who you are and I see you in the lunch room and now you are handing me a stack of paper? People sometimes wonder why I keep a bottle of hand sanitizer at my desk. Duh.

at least you work in a office(guessing), I'm a trucker, I see more public bathrooms(no funny jokes please :coffeedrink:) than my home one and it's mostly truckstops so imagine...got a "professionnal size" bottle of purell in my truck.

93BLAZER

Explorer
So I got the H1N1 nasal mist deal today.

So you have made a good argument on the pros and cons of getting the vaccine for yourself... but what about for your little ones?

What is your stance specifically on the H1N1 vaccine for children.

I have an 18 month old. I am trying to decide whether or not to have him vaccinated.

Your input?

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
So I got the H1N1 nasal mist deal today.

So you have made a good argument on the pros and cons of getting the vaccine for yourself... but what about for your little ones?

What is your stance specifically on the H1N1 vaccine for children.

I have an 18 month old. I am trying to decide whether or not to have him vaccinated.

Your input?

Consult your pediatrician. As for me, all 5 will be getting the H1N1 vaccine.

Superu

Explorer
Consult your pediatrician. As for me, all 5 will be getting the H1N1 vaccine.

X2 on the advice and personal experience. My 4 yo has had the intra-nasal, my 8 yo will get the vaccine on Monday after he's been off TamiFlu for 48+ hours and my 10 yo will get his next Friday at school. My 10 yo and 8 yo have been sick with the flu since last Thursday and Sunday respectively.

My wife and I will get our vaccines as soon as it's available for us.

New England Journal of Medicine has an interesting map that you can animate to show the progression worldwide of cases in the past two weeks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998