Hand Tools: The highest quality/value

blueeyeddevil

Observer
you can spend all you want on tools and it wont make you a mechanic.

Roger That!

Matco is what I always use and choose. Better value than strap-on, better quality than MAC (Stanley),the new craftsman, and SK tools. Better availability than Cornwell,Facom and the Euro brands. Still made in the USA!!!

atavuss

Adventurer
I am a government fleet mechanic. my job is to keep 27 police Harley Davidson Road King bikes on the road. the majority of my tools are Snap On, my box and cart are Snap On. I have a Craftsman box full of mostly Craftsman tools at home. Some Craftsman tools just plain do not hold up to everyday use and abuse IMHO.

ryguy

Adventurer
I have mt Dads hand-me-down snap-on and craftsman tools which are ancient. Tools break sometimes but I have never had a problem getting a warrantied replacement from either company. I do like snap-on's ratchets better than craftsman's.

youwillforget

Adventurer
How did this thread die?

I was raised wrenching Craftsman, Sears was 5 miles from my Grandpas house and I had 8 aunts if he broke a tool he sent one of them to get it replaced.

I was a tool snob for years no Buffalo, flea Market stuff for me. Craftsman was as low as I would go the Matco Truck came to the Truck Stop Garage I worked at in Michigan as I finished High School, Great service and tools were designs I liked, then I moved to Virginia Beach and worked at Pep Boys Mac was the truck that came there. Moved back to Michigan and Snap-On was the truck I dealt with. I sort of got out of the wrenching game and went to work for the Department of Correction. 15 years and I have been in 3 shops and used company tools. I got exposed to a lot of brands working as a Lock Smith, working on Network wiring and Surveillance systems. Everyone is owned by someone Matco, Crescent, Allen, Armstrong, Gearwrench, KD, Apex all owned by the same Company. SOG makes tools for Paladin, Ideal owns S.K. now. I have 2 pair of wire stripper crimpers that are exactly the same one says Matco in black on the red handles the other says Stanley in black on the yellow handles oh and the shop pair says Klien in yellow on red handles all 3 exactly the same. Get what works for you. I Like the Gearwrench starter sets they are a good packing list to go by (I’m sure they would rather you buy their tools not just use them as a packing list) Craftsman doesn’t have a good packing list until you get to the big boy sets. I still have my Snap-On catalog from 1994 and guess what that SAE or Metric Sets that were available then are still the exact same sets and part numbers so they haven’t improved their packing lists either. I have all 4 drive sizes and the funny thing is I have never broken any of my 3/4” drive stuff. I must be using the right tool for the job. Yes I have tool lust and would love to have that $300 Dewalt or Milwaukie 1/2" impact but I wouldn’t be building a trailer or owning a jeep if I spent all my disposable income on the big 3 truck companies or what people assume is quality. I found that out buying tools and wrenching on my friend’s cars and their friends cars they could afford the superchargers and body kits because they didn’t have to pay for tools or learn the skill, I had the tools and the ability just no money for parts buying all the tools. I did come out ahead though none of them have those cars anymore but I still have a crap load of tools.

Just my .02

Wyowanderer

Explorer
17 hard miles from the nearest road, 110 miles from the nearest town bigger than a single gas station, 250+ miles to the nearest larger town wher etools and repairs may be found....

Snap-On...

I don't believe I could have said it better.
A lifetime warranty is of no use in the middle of nowhere. I've never been able to break a Snap On (insert tool here) from normal use. Can't say that about the other guys.

I began buying Snap On at my first mechanic job because the salesman would take a weekly payment. I still have nearly all of it, and I'm glad I bought it.
Nothing wrong with the other stuff though, if that's what you want.
Proto wrenches and screwdrivers are my favorite Non-Snap On tools.
But I don't believe anyone touches their wrenches, sockets, or screwdrivers.
YMMV, naturally.

Wyowanderer

Explorer
While I try to only buy HF tools for when I know that I'm going to abuse them or modify it to make a special tool, the truth is if it allows you to fix the problem in BFE who cares where it came from or where it was made.

If you're in BFE and it breaks, it makes all the difference in the world.
I DO see a place for HF tools, especially if I'm going to use them once (like a roofing nailer, etc.), and they aren't highly stressed.

Last edited:

keezer37

Explorer
I was sold on Snap-On when I broke the fork of my half inch Craftsman breaker bar removing leaf springs. I finished it up with my buddy's three eighths Snap-On. The arm of the breaker deflected a few degrees but recovered nicely.

Still stick with Craftsman though at home. I've had to go for replacements maybe half a dozen times in all my years.

Snap-On would be nice in the tool roll that stays in the truck. One of these days. Ever since I pillaged my home tools to outfit my truck tool roll I've lost my garage organization.

Riptide

Explorer
Ya know, one brand I've been impressed with is Crescent. I've got a few of their tool sets, in various sizes.

For my first one, I bought a big all-in-one set about 10 years ago on a whim while in a big warehouse store. You know, the set that comes in a blow-molded case. I STILL use the snot out of that set, on the order of several times a week. It's the first thing I grab when I need a tool. I have never broken a single piece. What I really like is the ratchets; very smooth, and only 5 degrees of rotation needed to pick up a pawl. The ratchets are really nice for the money.

They also come with a screwdriver type handle, with a magnetic socket on the end for various tips. I've gone thru probably 50 #2 phillips tips with it, but I've never broken that driver handle.

I've even used the sockets on my impact driver, because the walls were thinner than my regular impact sockets, and could fit into places the thick-wall sockets couldn't fit. Have never cracked one yet.

Sure, there are better tools. But value-wise, it's pretty hard to beat these Crescents.

chris_the_wrench

Fixer & Builder of Things
My work box is full of Snap-on, but my homebased kit is a mix of Snap-on and Craftsman. However I find myself buying less and less Craftsman, primarily because I hate going to Sears. In the past few years(since the Kmart buyout) Sears has gone seriously downhill(in my opinion). The isles are stacked with crap, they seem to be stocking more of the 2-3 other brands of really crappy tools, and the quality of employees has sharply declined.

I broke my 1/2" Snap-on breaker bar a few weeks ago trying to get the hub nut loose on my truck, but the Snap-on guy was there the next day taking care of it for me. I ended up getting a 3/4"drive SK breaker bar to remedy that situation.

-Chris

adelatoa

Adventurer
adelatoa

torque wrenches, torches, multimeters and a few other items are 1 year only so keep your receipt.

This torque wrench is well into the year more like 10yrs. One of the plastic collars that helps lock it broke. I also doubt that it is giving me correct torques. I have replaced with a new one it and now use it as a breaker bar. I was hoping to have it replace and use it as my "field" torque ratchet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior